Software Developer (BE-BI-SW-2019-3-LD)
At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Are you a skilled software developer who is passionate about implementing and testing the complex software required for accelerators at the high energy and intensity frontier? CERN, take part!
CERN is looking for a software developer to join its Beams Department, which hosts the Groups responsible for beam generation, acceleration, diagnostics, controls and performance optimization. The position will be in the Software Section of the Beam Instrumentation Group. You will take part in developing, testing, commissioning and maintaining the software required for the diagnostic devices used by the accelerator operators to control the particle beams being produced and accelerated at CERN.
As a software developer specialising in C++ programming your main tasks will be to develop, test, operationally deploy and maintain the acquisition and control software for various accelerator beam instrumentation systems installed throughout the CERN accelerator complex, including the Large Hadron Collider (LHC).
The job will involve:
- Developing C++ software for the control and acquisition of new instruments using the software frameworks employed at CERN;
- Maintaining and upgrading existing software, in close collaboration with instrument specialists and end-users;
- Assisting the users (operators, specialists, physicists...) in the exploitation of the instruments, taking on board their feedback in order to further optimise performance;
- Contributing to the improvement of software engineering practices in the Beam Instrumentation Group.
Bachelor's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of information technologies or a related field.
- This post requires demonstrated experience in the field of computer engineering with emphasis on C++ programming.
- Experience in the field of graphical user interface design using Java, Python or C++ would be an advantage.
- Knowledge of programming techniques and languages;
- Development of system software (drivers, system configuration and monitoring, etc.);
- Testing, diagnosing and optimization of software;
- Development of software for embedded and real-time systems with/without OS;
- Conceptualizing, designing and developing user experiences and interfaces.
- Achieving results: delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations.
- Working in teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships; working well in groups and readily fitting into a team; participating fully and taking an active role in team activities.
- Demonstrating flexibility: demonstrating openness to new ideas and situations; being willing to work on different projects simultaneously.
- Solving problems: identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them; finding the information needed to solve problems; making objective judgments based on all the facts available.
- Spoken and written English or French: ability to draw-up technical reports and to make oral presentations in at least one of the two languages.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 10.03.2019
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 4-5
Job reference: BE-BI-SW-2019-3-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Computing Technical Engineer
Please make sure you have all the documents needed to hand as you start your application, as once it is submitted, you will not be able to upload any documents or edit your application further