Field Program Coordinator
Yangon (Myanmar) | Sittwe
IDLO IN MYANMAR
IDLO has been working in Myanmar since 2013, to support the country’s government justice institutions, lawyers, civil society representatives and communities to strengthen rule of law and access to justice, enhance gender equality and promote peace and development in line with Sustainable Development Goal 16, as part of the ongoing democratic transition in the country.
Under global partnership agreement, the United Nations Development Program (UNDP) and IDLO are implementing the Rule of Law Centers (ROLCs) Project. Through four ROLCs in Yangon, Mandalay, Myitkyina and Taunggyi, these ROLCs promote increased public legal awareness and empowerment by providing training on a range of rule of law, human rights and access to justice topics; and facilitating dialogue between communities and justice service providers about local justice issues, rights and responsibilities. In September 2018, programming began in Rakhine State under UNDP’s Rule of Law Program in Rakhine.
Under direct supervision of the Field Program Manager of the ROLC Project Myanmar, and in close coordination with the Program Associate based at IDLO Headquarters, the Field Program Coordinator will manage the planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the Rakhine ROLC Project/ of the Rakhine ROLC office in Rakhine State.
S/he will be responsible for overall support to project implementation; will ensure project consistency with project design and delivery and with IDLO processes and procedures, including through the IDLO Training Information Management System (TIMS); will monitor project activities to ensure compliance with contracts and procedures and that project cycle quality controls are in place; will ensure the project is managed efficiently and effectively while maintaining internal controls; and will contribute to project development.
In particular, the Field Program Coordinator will be responsible for the following:
1. Support day to day implementation of the Rakhine ROLC Project including work planning, budget management, monitoring, and reporting, and ensuring that all project phases are consistent with the project design and delivery schedule, and in accordance with IDLO processes and procedures.
- Lead the establishment of the ROLC office in Rakhine State;
- Manage the coordination of work and information exchange between the Rakhine ROLC Project, the Field Program Manager for the ROLCs Project, the Country Manager, and IDLO Headquarters;
- Support development of implementation plans by means of standardized project cycle management tools, logic models and frameworks, work plans, and others;
- Draft, collate and provide further input for the finalization of internal and external reports; coordinate the approval and submission of project reports; ensuring these highlight the value and impact the project and its activity brings;
- Collaborate and communicate regularly with the Finance Unit both at the Country Office and at Headquarters to build accurate financial forecasts, including reviewing financial reports and identifying in advance areas of over- or under-spending, and flagging any urgent budgetary issues to the supervisor/budget holder;
- In conjunction with Human Resources and in close coordination with the Program Team at the Country Office and the Program Associate in HQ, support in the timely identification and screening of project consultants/contractors as well as the processing of contracts where relevant;
2. Monitor project activities to ensure compliance with contracts and procedures and that project cycle quality controls are in place:
- Ensure internal procedures and guidelines are observed, recommending corrective action and consulting to the appropriate department any potential compliance issues; monitor compliance with project contracts and subcontracts;
- Ensure project deliverables meet quality standards and proactively seek input from relevant substantive internal experts;
- Conduct research on legal, political, social, and economic events, trends, and/or developments relating to the project; respond to internal and external requests for such research.
- Ensure timely and quality collection of M&E data and comply with IDLO HQ requirement in uploading the data on TIMS.
3. Contribute to project development:
- Upon the request of the supervisor, generate ideas and develop concept notes/proposals for projects and project activities that are aligned to Country program priorities;
- In coordination with the Program Development Unit and the supervisor, periodically develop proposals or concept notes, aimed at innovatively expanding IDLO’s program portfolio;
- Collaborate with country program staff and local partners ensuring that perspectives and expectations are shared in the design of the project and to gather support in its implementation.
4. Any other relevant duties as may be requested by the Field Program Manager.
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
Education and Work Experience
- Graduate degree in law, international relations or relevant field from a recognized university is essential.
- Minimum of 5-7 years of substantial professional experience, ideally within an international organization;
- Professional experience in managing a rule of law, access to justice or democratic governance program is required;
- Previous experience managing budgets and project finances is required;
- Previous experience working in Myanmar is an asset;
- Previous experience working in conflict-affected environments with limited infrastructure is an asset.
Specific knowledge, skills and competencies
- Fluent oral and writing skills in English is required.
- Demonstrated expertise on rule of law issues is required;
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills;
- Familiarity with standard program and data management methodologies, tools, and processes as well as results-based management and monitoring and evaluation principles;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Proficient use of other ICT software and internet software;
- Works effectively across and within IDLO organizational boundaries;
- Proven ability to see through tasks set and deliver results;
- Ability to work under pressure with tight deadlines, flexibility and an entrepreneurial spirit;
- Ability and willingness to travel within the country, if necessary;
- Keen sense of ethics, integrity, and commitment to IDLO’s mandate.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
For this internationally recruited professional position, IDLO shall offer the selected candidate an affiliate contract initially until the end of December 2019, with the possibility of extension, subject to performance and availability of funding.
The Field Project Coordinator will be initially based in Yangon and eventually be moved to Sittwe, Rakhine State.
IDLO shall offer the suitable candidate annual basic salary in the range of USD 72,000 and an additional benefit package, including medical, mission insurance, provident fund, relocation allow etc. in accordance with IDLO Employee Regulations and Rules.
The selected candidate is expected to start as soon as possible.
In the interest of making the most effective use of resources, only the short-listed candidates will be contacted during the selection process.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the Contractor assigned to this work. This may not be an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities.
The Director-General of IDLO reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities or even to cancel the recruitment to meet business and organizational needs as necessary.