DIRECTOR, POLICY ENGAGEMENT AND COMMUNICATIONS
The African Population and Health Research Center (APHRC) is an international non-profit, nongovernmental organization that carries out high quality, policy-relevant research on population, health and education issues facing sub-Saharan Africa. Our goal is to generate evidence for meaningful action to improve the lives of all Africans. APHRC wishes to recruit a director for its Policy Engagement and Communications (PEC) division. The incumbent is the overall lead on the knowledge translation value chain that translates APHRC and other evidence into policy and guides the visibility, branding and outreach strategies for the Center. The position will report to the Executive Director and will supervise manager level staff in the division.
- Lead the development and execution of strategies for positioning the Center as a thought leader in selected development issues;
- Oversees APHRC’s engagement with policy makers at local, national, regional and international levels;
- Lead on forging new and maintaining on-going partnerships with media houses and advocacy groups;
- Oversee the publication of general audience materials aimed at enhancing the visibility of APHRC and its work;
- Manage a team of communications and policy professionals and their outputs: development and final sign off on all products, line management, administrative and budget approvals;
- Oversee implementation of projects under the PEC division: this includes, planning, execution, monitoring and reporting;
- Steward the Center’s brand and position for external audiences by overseeing the production and use of foundation documents (strategic plan, corporate communications, crisis communications/risk management plans and the annual report);
- Ensure financial sustainability for the Division by leading the development of proposals and ensuring integration of PEC strategies into other programs’ fundraising initiatives;
- Contribute to management/leadership/overall institutional development through membership in Executive Leadership Team; and
- Work with the internal auditor to identify and manage risks in the division.
This position carries with it enormous potential for influence internally, around new ways of working; innovative approaches to traditional activities; maximizing impact and widening networks of potential allies and collaborators. The role requires the ability to develop new ideas and approaches to the Center’s work, and providing guidance on new trends in policy engagement, communications and advocacy. Mentorship – both formal and informal – is a critical component of the role.
This position is highly client-facing and the holder should be able to respond to the needs of an array of audiences from partners to influencers to donors and have in-depth knowledge of all aspects of the Center’s work. The holder must be able to synthesize and share information at multiple levels in order to identify opportunities for collaboration and synergy. The position also requires a deep understanding of policy landscapes and policy processes in multiple contexts to seize openings and entry points for advocacy and influence.
Qualifications, Competencies & Experience
- PhD/MSc/MA or equivalent professional degree in relevant area with a minimum of 10 years’ post-qualification experience in an academic or research institution, five of which must be at a senior management level.
- It is desirable that the position holder be conversant in French language (in addition to professional level proficiency in English).
- Understanding of political and policy processes in sub-Saharan Africa, as well as the development landscape and the various players is vital.
- The ideal position holder should have excellent organization and interpersonal skills.
- It is desirable that the position holder has excellent financial management skills.
APHRC is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to the protection of children.
For this position, APHRC has retained Impactpool to support them with Executive Search. All applications to this position will be handled by Impactpool.