Freelance Transcriber - Arabic (Standard)
Multiple locations (Multiple locations)
18754 | OTP
|Deadline for Applications:||Open|
|Organizational Unit:||Language Services Unit, Services Section, Office of the Prosecutor|
|Duty Station:||Various Duty Stations|
|Minimun Net Annual Salary:||Payment is based on fixed rates, per work unit|
|Contract Duration:||To be determined|
A roster of freelance transcribers will be established as a result of this selection process. Once accredited, freelance transcribers may be offered contracts for the provision of remote transcription services in keeping with the operational needs of the Unit.
The Language Services Unit (LSU) forms part of the Services Section providing critical, close support functions to the Office of the Prosecutor in order for it to fulfil its mandate. In this respect, during the preliminary examination, investigation, and prosecution phases, the Unit provides field, event, and telephone interpretation; transcription of audio and video material; translation of OTP evidence and core Office documentation; as well as other services requiring language expertise, such as summary translation, redacting, and editing.
Scope of Services
Freelance Transcribers working in the required languages will be expected to:
(a)Produce self-reviewed transcripts swiftly and accurately from audio or video recordings in keeping with LSU guidelines and glossaries;
(b)Consult with the LSU Transcription Team to clarify ambiguities, assist in building glossaries and provide feedback;
(c)Apply the feedback provided by the LSU Transcription Team to ensure delivery of a quality product.
Proficiency in listening to, understanding and writing Standard Arabic is a pre-requisite. A working knowledge of either English or French is also a pre-requisite.
The freelance transcriber should preferably though not necessarily:
•Hold a professional qualification in the field of languages or linguistics;
•Have prior experience in transcription or any other language-related profession, ideally in a legal setting;
•Have experience using transcription hardware and software, as well as extranets;
Skills and Abilities
The candidate must:
•Possess good computer and information technology skills;
•Apply attention to detail with information and data accuracy;
•Respect information confidentiality;
•Deliver on deadline.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to sit a transcription accreditation test. Accreditation is subject to obtaining the necessary security clearance. Successful candidates will then be placed on a roster of accredited transcribers.
Offers of Work
Accredited transcribers on the roster will be contacted for work assignments based on their acceptance of the applicable rates and terms and conditions, their availability, and their suitability for a particular project based on their profile and experience, as well information security constraints. The ICC makes no absolute guarantee of freelance work.
Nature of Work
Mindful of the nature of the ICC’s mandate and operations, freelance transcribers must understand that the audio/video material outsourced for transcription may on occasion risk being of an upsetting or disturbing nature.
N.B. The Court reserves the right to prioritise candidates based on operational needs and security constraints.
ICC Core Competencies
Dedication to the mission and values
- Acts consistently in accordance with the mission and values of the Organisation;
- Maintains confidentiality, acts with integrity and shows respect for diversity;
- Shows commitment to the organisation;
- Presents a positive image of the organisation during external discussions.
- Applies professional and technical expertise;
- Keeps abreast of organisational issues;
- Produces workable solutions to a range of problems;
- Listens, consults and communicates proactively;
- Handles disagreements with tact and diplomacy;
- Recognises and rewards the contribution of others;
Learning and developing
- Identifies development strategies needed to achieve work and career goals and makes use of developmental or
- Learns from successes and failures;
- Seeks feedback and gives feedback to others to increase organisational effectiveness;
- Seeks opportunities for improvement of work;
- Has an open mind and contributes to innovation.
Handling uncertain situations
- Adapts to changing circumstances;
- Deals with ambiguity, making positive use of the opportunities it presents;
- Plans activities and projects well in advance and takes account of possible changing circumstances;
- Manages time effectively.
- Expresses opinions, information and key points of an argument clearly;
- Handles contacts with diplomacy and tact;
- Communicates in a transparent and open way with internal and external contacts while complying with
- Accepts and tackles demanding goals with enthusiasm;
- Keeps to agreements with others;
- Focuses on client needs;
- Takes responsibility for actions, projects and people;
- Monitors and maintains quality and productivity
- The selected candidate will be subject to a Personnel Security Clearance (PSC) process in accordance with ICC policy. The PSC process will include but will not be limited to, verification of the information provided in the personal history form and a criminal record check. All candidates should be in a position to submit an electronic copy of their passport and all diplomas listed on their profile when requested;
- Applicants may check the status of vacancies on ICC E-Recruitment web-site;