Science and Technology Roster
Multiple locations (Various)
Every year, millions of people around the world go missing as a result of conflict, human rights abuses, disasters, organized crime, irregular migration, and other causes. Be part of a growing international organization that is dedicated to tackling this global challenge.
The International Commission on Missing Persons (ICMP) is a treaty-based international organization with headquarters in The Hague, the Netherlands. Its mandate is to secure the cooperation of governments and others in locating and identifying missing persons. As the only international organization tasked exclusively to work on the issue of missing persons, ICMP maintains field programs throughout the world. To learn more about ICMP click here.
Science and Technology Expert Roster
ICMP maintains a number of country projects dealing with the missing persons issue and is also responsive to Disaster Victim Identification (DVI) demands, which may make use of ICMP’s forensic expertise.
The Science and Technology Expert roster is designed to ensure an effective and rapid response to the technical expertise and competency demands placed on the organization in order to provide technical advice, assistance, support and training at a global level. As such, vetted experts may be called upon for deployments of various durations.
Additionally, when you submit your application to the roster, you will also be notified as soon as a science and technology job opening becomes available in one of our longer term projects or at headquarters.
The following positions are often needed for a DVI and short-term deployment:
- Forensic Archaeologist
- Forensic Anthropologist
- Crime Scene Specialist/Technician/Photographer
- DNA Expert
- Forensic Pathologist
Qualified applicants will have a Masters/Graduate degree in the relevant subject matter expertise with at least five years practical working experience related to forensic work. All roster experts must be professionally fluent in English.
Desirable experience includes:
- Experience conducting assessments of forensic institutions to establish capacity and infrastructure gaps in the processes and procedures used to carry out forensic related work and ensure effective management of the process;
- Experience in the design and delivery of adult learning solutions in one or more of the following areas of expertise:
- Search, location, recording and recovery of human remains and associated evidence in mass graves and other body disposal scenes;
- Examination of human remains;
- Crime scene investigations;
- DNA sampling; DNA extraction from highly challenging bone/tooth samples; DNA amplification;
- DNA profile interpretation, kinship analysis and reporting.
- Demonstrated ability to mentor and monitor the conduct of forensic activities undertaken by institutions in the host country;
- Provision of subject matter expertise and technical advice in forensic procedures as applied to forensic human identification, including international standards, quality management mechanisms and chain of custody;
- Expert report writing and monitoring and evaluation of project impact;
- Professional fluency in more than one language is an asset.
Additional requirements for all ICMP roster positions
- Proven ability to interact positively with colleagues regardless of culture, nationality or gender;
- Willingness to travel and to work flexible hours including weekends and evenings, when necessary;
- Commitment to the underlying objective of assisting the authorities and families of the missing in locating and identifying missing persons in an impartial and transparent manner;
- Capacity and willingness to work with limited facilities and under 'hardship' living conditions.
Renumeration will vary from assignment and project.
To be included on the Science and Technology Expert roster, please submit your application and cover letter. Please be sure to state the position you are applying for in the subject line of your cover letter.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those under consideration will be contacted.