Consultancy services for Development of a Digital Platform for the Judiciary Criminal Procedure Benchbook
The Judiciary is an independent, impartial, transparent and accountable institution established under Chapter 10 of the Constitution of Kenya 2010. Its mission is to deliver justice fairly, impartially and expeditiously, promote equal access to justice, and advance local jurisprudence by upholding the rule of law. Building on the institutional transformation achieved under the Judiciary Transformation Framework 2012-2016, the Chief Justice Hon. Mr. Justice D. K. Maraga launched the Sustaining Judiciary Transformation (SJT): A Service Delivery Agenda 2017 – 2021 in January 2017. The SJT strategic blueprint focuses on six strategic areas: Access to Justice; Clearing Case Backlog, Integrity and Anti-corruption, Strengthening the Office of the Judiciary Ombudsperson, the Judiciary Digital Strategy and Leadership and Governance. Digitisation and automation of Judiciary processes as well as key resources and policy documents such as the Judiciary Criminal Procedure Bench Book as a priority under the SJT Judiciary Digital Strategy. The Judiciary Criminal Procedure Bench Book Digital Platform seeks to improve efficiency in criminal procedure within and across institutions in the criminal justice system, increase access to legal information, improve timeliness of judiciary services, provide an efficient and effective platform for the reform and development of criminal procedure, and enhance performance and quality of judicial decisions.
The Judiciary in partnership with IDLO is seeking consultancy services of an individual consultant(s) or firm to design, develop and operationalise a dynamic, interactive, database driven, web-based platform for the Judiciary Criminal Procedure Bench Book that will be user friendly, interactive, accessible, educative and informative. The platform is intended for use by judges, judicial officers, litigants and court users allowing users to interact over the content and exchange information and recommendations that will help improve jurisprudence and procedure on criminal justice in Kenya.
SCOPE OF THE WORK
The consultant(s)/firm will report to the Criminal Procedure Bench Book Technical Committee in liaison with the Judiciary’s ICT Directorate and KenyaLaw regarding technical requirements, content management procedures and operational aspects and to the International Development Law Organization (IDLO) on the broader contractual obigations. The consultant/firm shall be required to:
- Understand and internalise the content and purpose of the Criminal Procedure Bench Book.
- Develop a usable, workable and sustainable proposal for a dynamic, interactive, database driven web based platform for the Judiciary Criminal Procedure Bench Book.
- Develop a detailed proposal of features and operation of the Digital Platform in consultation with the Technical Committee, the Judiciary ICT Directorate and KenyaLaw.
- Develop a reliable, well-designed, interactive, web-based platform hosting the Judiciary Criminal Procedure Bench Book that is accessible, informative and easy to navigate.
- Implement web site security measures, such message encryption.
- Monitor the system for intrusions or denial of service attacks, and report security breaches to appropriate personnel.
- Administer internet/intranet infrastructure, including components such as web, file transfer protocol (FTP), news and mail servers.
- Develop user friendly interface for the website.
- Incorporate Search Engine Optimization features into the website.
- Incorporate comprehensive web statistics analytical tools into the website.
- Perform content upload/migration as necessary for any website changes/upgrades.
- Orient select officers of the Judiciary and KenyaLaw on the management and updating of the website.
- Train Judiciary ICT officers on the management and updating of the website and handover the source code and management guidelines.
- Develop a detailed documentation for the tool to ensure transfer of knowledge through on the job training and interactive sessions with user.
- Deliver training on the operations and maintenance of the Digital Platform for all relevant Judiciary stakeholders.
- Any other tasks that might be necessary to optimize the efficiency and effectiveness of the Platform.
Digital Bench Book features requirements summary
The digital bench book shall have features for interaction that include but not limited to a Calendar, Members Page, Forums, Email, Blogs, ePortfolios, Chat, and a File Folder. All of these features function the same way as they would in a normal process of manually drafting, amending, collaborating and writing a bench book.
The features must also ensure the Platform has the capability to integrate seamlessly with other future online systems for example the Kenya Law and Judiciary website. The Platform must, to a reasonable extent, cater for persons with disabilities and consider other best practices and digital standards that as the consultant/firm will propose for approval.
The key outputs/deliverables of the Consultant will include:-
- Detailed Inception Proposal and Implementation Plan detailing the understanding of the Terms of Reference and deliverables and a proposed work plan indicating clear milestones and timelines.
- A Prototype of the Digital Platform.
- A dynamic, interactive, database driven web-based platform for the Judiciary Criminal Procedure Bench Book (including sections for access, interactions between users, feedback and recommendations).
- Documentation and materials on Training, Transfer of Knowledge, Maintenance and Operations of the Platform.
- Facilitating an official launch of the web platforms Development of an Interactive Digital Platform for the Judiciary Criminal Procedure Bench Book.
- Providing post-development services.
- Minimum experience of 4 years in developing dynamic collaboration tools.
- Demonstrate experience in web/portal programming/development and administration, provide website portfolio with links provided to websites as evidence of work and letters of completion
- User Interface Design (UI), Security Principles, Object-Oriented Design, Web Services (REST/SOAP), Multimedia Content Development, API’s, cross-browser compatibility design(responsive design).
- Expert knowledge in Criminal Law and Criminal Justice
- Deep functional knowledge or hands on design experience with Web Services (REST, SOAP, etc.) is needed to be successful in this position.
- Analytical skills; able to evaluate information and situations and make sound decisions.
- Project management skills and ability to prioritize.
- Demostrated leadership, organizational and analytical skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including strong writing and presentation skills in the English language; and
- High levels of integrity and ability to maintain confidentiality, owing to the sensitivity of the deliverables.
All interested applicants are requested to submit a resume and cover letter
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the Contractor assigned to this work. This may not be an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities.
The Director-General of IDLO reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities or even to cancel the recruitment to meet business and organizational needs as necessary.