Senior Convening Editor Consultant
New York City (United States of America)
In 2019, UNFPA has committed to updating its guidelines on data issues in humanitarian settings, published in 2010 (.
For this task, UNFPA is seeking the support of a consultant serving as senior convening editor under the general guidance of an editorial committee of internal (UNFPA) and external experts (from other UN agencies and academic/NGO partners). The convening editor will lead the synthesis, editing and compilation of technical content contributed from UNFPA staff and expert specialist contributors from other UN agencies into an updated set of corporate guidelines and technical reference materials on humanitarian data.
During the development and drafting phase, the successful candidate will be responsible for convening the expert editorial committee on a bi-weekly basis. S/he will be tasked to review and revise the proposed outline, and develop the first, second and final draft of the guidelines and reference materials while collecting initial input and seeking comments and suggestions from the expert editorial committee on an ongoing basis. S/he will document these inputs, versions of the guidelines and decisions taken. The expert editorial committee will consist of 5-6 specialist UNFPA staff and 2 specialist staff from UN sister agencies. The senior convening editor will also be in charge of consulting and coordinating with a graphic designer and printing house for publication of the finalized materials.
- Outline of document agreed upon - end June 2019
- First draft finalized - end August 2019
- Second draft finalized - end September 2019
- Final Version, including editing and design - end November 2019
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Masters degree in scientific writing, communications, or a related field
- 7 years work experience with international organization
- Demonstrated expertise in convening content from multiple staff/authors and compiling such content into a coherent set of guidelines and technical materials for use in fast-paced operational settings
- Excellent English oral and written communication skills and proven experience in drafting technical reports in the development or humanitarian context
- Initiative, excellent organisational skills and ability to work with a relatively large and diverse team under tight deadlines
An application letter that states the candidate's motivation to apply for this consultancy, as well as a curriculum vitae/resume. All documents must be sent by E-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org by 27 March 2019, with "Senior Convening Editor Consultant" as the subject.