The length of appointment for internal FAO candidates will be established in accordance with applicable policies pertaining to the extension of appointments
• FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender and nationality
• People with disabilities are protected from any type of discrimination during any stage of employment, including the recruitment phase
• All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
• The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization
The main aim of the FAO country offices, which are headed by an FAO Representative, is to assist governments to develop policies, programmes and projects to achieve food security and to reduce hunger and malnutrition, to help develop the agricultural, fisheries and forestry sectors, and to use their environmental and natural resources in a sustainable manner.
FAO participates in the development and implementation of field projects in the sectors of food security, agriculture and rural development. This requires the integration within the broader framework of sustainable food and agriculture that aims at increasing production and productivity, addressing climate change, managing natural resources and enhancing rural livelihoods.
Agriculture production and productivity of the predominant subsistence and smallholder producers are low. Production is characterized by rain fed agriculture with low technology application and vulnerable to external shocks as floods and droughts, pests and diseases. Post-harvest losses due to insufficient storage facilities and post-harvest treatment amount to 30 percent. For a significant part of the population, their own production is insufficient to cover annual food needs. In rural areas, non-agricultural income generating opportunities are limited and employment opportunities besides agriculture remain scarce. The private sector is led by few medium and large enterprises. The informal sector and micro and small enterprises (small traders and transporters) dominate the local economy in the rural setting (low financial inclusion and low taxable income).
The project "PROMOVE Agribiz" is financed by the European Union and jointly implemented by the FAO and GIZ. The objective of the project is to contribute to sustainable, inclusive and broad-based economic growth and poverty reduction in the context of national food and nutrition security as well as climate change. The specific objectives are\: i) to improve food and nutrition security and resilience of smallholders through climate-smart and nutrition-sensitive agriculture development in the provinces of Nampula and Zambézia; and ii) to enhance rural competitiveness through increased participation of smallholders and Micro, Small & Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) in economic activities, economic diversification, improved access to rural services and improved rural investment climate in the provinces of Nampula and Zambezia.
The Technical Adviser reports to the FAO Representative.
The Technical Adviser is responsible for the overall technical guidance and technical quality assurance/quality control of the Project. He/she leads the management of the project activities, including finance, budget and human resources, prepares detailed project annual work plans in collaboration with stakeholders and makes implementation arrangements.
Comprehensive technical and policy expertise to support the planning, development and implementation of departmental/divisional programmes, projects, products and services in accordance with departmental/divisional objectives and FAO Strategic Objectives.
• Provides technical leadership assistance for the development, implementation and evaluation of assigned programmes/projects; assists with the review of relevant documents and reports; identifies priorities, liaises with relevant parties; identifies follow-up action;
• Assists with the coordination of programmes and reviews the assessments of issues and trends for the implementation of programmes and projects and the preparation of impact evaluation or equivalent studies;
• Assists/supervises preparation of various written outputs, e.g. background papers, analysis, substantial sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications;
• Contributes to consultative and other meetings and conferences, including proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparing documents and presentations;
• Participates in activities; structures training workshops and seminars; makes presentations on assigned topics/activities;
• Leads field missions, including provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties;
• Provides advice to develop policies and strategies as well as national protocols and guidelines for projects with specific domains related to FAO's work.
• Coordinates and provides technical advice to the implementation of the project, in close collaboration with the Assistant FAO Representative (Programme);
• Plans, organizes and ensures the general coherence of project activities implemented under the various components;
• Ensures results-based project implementation and monitoring in line with the logical framework, work plan and approved budget;
• Leads dissemination of project results and communication and visibility activities;
• Represents FAO in agriculture and food security technical discussions in the country of assignment;
• Performs other duties as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Advanced university degree in political sciences, agricultural economics, development economics, rural sociology, food security, nutrition, sustainable agriculture (including livestock, forestry and fisheries), or a related field;
• Seven years of relevant experience in technical cooperation related activities, policy advice and analysis relating to agriculture, food and nutrition security, rural development as well as monitoring and evaluation of policies and programmes;
• Working knowledge of English, French or Spanish and limited knowledge of one of the other two or Arabic, Chinese, Russian.
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable;
• Extent and relevance of experience in managing and implementing projects involving participatory extension approaches in a rural African context;
• Extent and relevance of experience working with intergovernmental bodies and multidisciplinary teams;
• Working knowledge of Portuguese is considered a strong asset.