Director, Quality, Data and Learning
Washington (United States of America)
The American Red Cross prevents and alleviates human suffering in the face of emergencies by mobilizing the power of volunteers and the generosity of donors. The Director of Quality, Data, and Learning provides strategic leadership regarding design, measurement, and learning for American Red Cross programs, with a focus on global programs. This position is responsible for ensuring International Services and Services to the Armed Forces have the systems in place to collect and act on data at a project and portfolio level, and is key to building a culture of learning and accountability, including building a stronger evidence base to support quality, sustainable programs. The Director oversees full-time staff, reservists, interns and volunteers, and manages the unit budget. The Director reports to the Executive Director of Operations, and may serve as the division’s lead during the Executive Director’s absence.
- Direct and oversee the work of unit to provide oversight and support for portfolio and project design, monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning, across programs within the United States and in countries around the world.
- Manage, coach and mentor a team of diverse technical staff to meet and advance issues of measurement, evidence and learning to improve program quality and impact. Manage across matrixed teams to ensure decentralized counterparts in the field are aligned with and advancing ISD standards.
- Direct the management of a department-wide portfolio management system and other tools to collect, analyze, and share project data and report for purposes of reporting, learning, and accountability.
- Development and oversee adherence to design, monitoring, evaluation and learning doctrine, and cultivate a department-wide culture of learning and improvement. Engage global monitoring, evaluation and learning practitioners in the execution of program strategy, standards, policies, and expectations.
- Oversee a data readiness program to support national society and other partners to improve data literacy and adopt tools and processes to better collect, manage and use data for decisions. Influence efforts within the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies to enhance data readiness for disaster management.
- Represent ISD interests and collaborate with counterparts within the Red Cross/Red Crescent network, and in international humanitarian and M&E networks.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Masters degree preferred
- Minimum 10 years of relevant experience, with 5 years management or leadership experienced required
- Experience developing and leading matrixed teams to deliver results based on client expectations
- Experience leading change management initiatives, including working with leadership and unit leads to develop and/or revise organizational-level measurement systems
- Experience using frameworks to design programs, and experience working with stakeholders to define requirements and design systems and processes to collect and analyze data to measure progress against plans
- Excellent skills in project management, including experience defining and delivering scope on time and developing and managing budgets
- Excellent skills and demonstrated experience in collaboration, facilitation, training, and written and verbal communication
- Conversant with and informed about current industry trends, such as open data, mobile data collection, and data protection
- Fluency in Spanish or French very helpful.
- May require up to 30% travel.
- DC is preferred location, but could consider remote candidates