Washington D.C. (United States of America)
Ashoka- Senior Accountant
Position: Senior Accountant
Location: 1700 North Moore Street
Arlington, VA 22209
Ashoka is the pioneer of social investing and social entrepreneurship. Founded in 1980, Ashoka has built the world’s first and largest network of social entrepreneurs across over 80 countries. These 3,500 social entrepreneurs are solving the world’s most difficult problems with system-changing innovations that improve the lives of millions of people. Ashoka also cultivates a community of leaders who see that the world now requires everyone to be a changemaker. Together, we collaborate to transform institutions and culture worldwide so that everyone can take initiative and lead positive change.This is our ‘Everyone A Changemaker’ vision that Ashoka is working toward, and it is our best hope for building a world where problems no longer outrun solutions and that people no longer feel paralyzed by all the problems we see around us.Ashoka isconsistently ranked one of the Top 10 Non-Profit Organizations in the world.
Our Finance Team plays an integral role in fostering a healthy, vibrant community of changemakers. We manage everything from our budgets and finances to investments in our social entrepreneur community to complex financial accounting across 40 country offices.
Ashoka is seeking a Senior Accountant for supporting audits, vital accounting duties and special projects. The Senior Accountant will embody their collaborative culture and must have the communication skills necessary to build relationships with internal and external stakeholders across many cultures and nationalities.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Supporting Ashoka's annual audits
- Assisting with complex accounting duties
- Working alongside the CFO/Global Controller on special projects
- Supporting the CFO/Global Controller with overall financial management
- Reconciliations of monthly activity, generating monthly, quarterly, and year-end reports,
- Fulfilling tax related requirements
- Maintaining the Ashoka’s accounting functions: accounts payable, accounts receivable, posting transactions, reconciling entries, balancing bank ledgers
- Recommending new approaches, policies and procedures to effect continual improvements in efficiency of department and services performed
- Some international travel should be expected.
Desired Skills and Experience
The successful candidate should be inspired by the power of social entrepreneurship and embrace Ashoka’s Everyone A Changemaker vision. In addition, he/she should exhibit the following characteristics and experience:
- Results-driven professional, with a strong track record of taking initiative to improve how things work
- Strong empathy, teamwork and leadership skills
- Experience with nonprofit accounting, in particular grant accounting
- Experience in handling international,intercompany transactions
- Ability to reconcile financials between different countries and local GAAP requirements
- Experience in handing key components of nonprofit audits (or managing the entire audit process)
- Strong analytical skills
- Ability to influence without authority, inspire creativity, build trust, and help others be more effective and successful
- At least seven years of accounting experience
- A degree in accounting is a must
- CPA strongly preferred
- Experience working with SAP also preferred
Ashoka offers a competitive compensation packages including full benefits and a unique “comp time” policy that emphasizes each team member’s freedom to manage his/her time flexibly and in a way that works for him/her as well as the organization.