Arlington (United States of America)
Ashoka - Leader, Chapters
Summary: Ashoka is seeking an entrepreneurial and creative business leader with experience in creating widespread change in an area of focus. The leader will design and implement the framework and support for leadership groups in many local institutions to develop their own Ashoka organizations (Chapters). The chapter should be the central organizing element for Ashoka and the movement in major metro areas and globally. It’s a home for people of many different levels of experience and varied interests. It connects to, creates teams of teams amongst, and provides leadership for many people, groups, and institutions.
It needs to play a central role in getting the leadership within various sectors and its citizens to ask whether or not the area is successfully making the transition to the “everyone a change maker” world. And then to lead the community so that it does make this profound leap in time.
The Leadership Role
Ashoka is looking for an extraordinary leader to build such chapters in every major metro area.
- The leadership required for chapter building involves a very clear understanding of -- and the ability and will to communicate -- the role and importance of chapters in the world’s major movements and the roles Ashoka needs them to play at this moment in history and, more specifically, in the flow of collaborative entrepreneurship jujitsu (CEJ) thrusts.
- The chapter leader must develop a system that can be easily replicated and managed for finding the right senior leaders in a community and then helping them succeed. This requires almost instant quick successes followed by big successes within six months. This is necessary not only for the leaders but for their energizing and exciting and getting the commitment of others that they and Ashoka need.
- The leader and his or her team then must work with the chapters for each to develop the bridges that are going to be most valuable for their community, for the chapter members, and for the global and local “everyone a changemaker” movement.
- The program’s leadership will also have to develop a carefully-crafted engagement path to help each leadership group and chapter, in very differing circumstances, succeed.
- The chapter leader must be one of Ashoka’s most brilliant at envisioning how all the elements of the movement must come together (in ever-changing, synergy-maximizing teams of teams) and then at enabling this to happen in fact in the world’s metro areas - the frontiers of change and now the main stage.
Key oversight will include:
- Messaging: Ensuring that Ashoka’s narrative leads with the Everyone a Changemakerframework and engages high level business entrepreneurs as Ashoka partners. Share and create stories that help them realize that Everyone a Changemaker vision is their mission too.
- Selection: Establish the selection criteria and process for nominating, evaluating and inviting high level community leaders to participate.
- Engagement: Ideate, specify and implement innovative mutually beneficial products and services to ensure long term engagement and connection between high level business entrepreneurs and our leading network of social entrepreneurs and changemakers.
- Development: Achieve agreed upon milestones in terms of participants, revenues and integration with Ashoka’s mission, vision and overall strategy.
- Digital: Engage with internal teams to ensure Ashoka’s web and social media properties align with and drive strategic relationships. Innovate ways for Ashoka to further develop a digital presence and brand.
Ashoka has a rigorous committee-based screening process for hiring staff at all career stages, mirroring the selection process for our Fellows. All applicants must first possess the following qualities:
- Entrepreneurship / intrapreneurship:Demonstrates a track record of taking creative initiative and ownership (e.g., founding an organization or company, starting a movement, or re-shaping the work of an existing organization).
- Understanding & belief in the the vision of an Everyone a Changemakerfuture:Understands and believes Ashoka’s vision at a gut level; has a broad and inquisitive intellect and a thinking pattern that connects the dots between historical trends and the current social context.
- Emotional & social intelligence: Has the ability to work efficiently and respectfully in teams.
- Ethical fiber: Possess exceptionally strong ethical behavior.
- Self definition:Assumes that changing the world in big ways is what they will do in life.
Successful candidates for this role will also possess most of the following skills and experiences:
- At least 12-15 years of experience after collegiate education, including at least 5 years experience as a movement builder or social entrepreneur
- Direct fundraising and/or business development experience, having raised at least $1M annually
- Experienced manager with strong problem solving and organizational skills
- Outstanding leadership and facilitation skills to build trust and curate collaboration between internal and external stakeholders
- Fluency in English; proficiency in other languages will be considered an asset
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and innovate effectively in a fast-paced, unstructured environment
- Personable and interacts well with co-workers, clients and the entire Ashoka community
- Strong intellectual curiosity, entrepreneurial spirit and demonstrated commitment to social change