Market and Value Chain Specialist
The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit agricultural research for development organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
CIMMYT is seeking a dynamic, self-motivated, and service-oriented professional for the position of Market and Value Chain Specialist to work in the Socio-Economics Program (SEP). The holder of this position will lead applied research to better understand the challenges and opportunities facing the growth and development of small and medium (engineering) enterprises (SMEs) that provide inputs and services for agricultural mechanization in southern Bangladesh. The work is under CIMMYT’s USAID-funded Cereal Systems Initiative for South Asia – Mechanization and Irrigation (CSISA-MI) project, which focuses on agriculture mechanization and SME development in southern Bangladesh. The work entails using market-oriented approaches and tools to understand the strategies and circumstances of multiple actors involved in SMEs, agricultural mechanization, crop production and associated value chains for inputs and services. The work aims to assess the current context in which service and input value chains have evolved and options for innovation that boost SME development, including staff recruitment and training and overall value chain growth. The selected candidate will work with local partners to enhance the skills and capacities of youth and promote gender inclusive workforces in manufacturing centers, and additionally catalyze the uptake of resilient farming practices in rural communities impacted by the humanitarian crisis in SE Bangladesh. The work will conduct integrated action research that will bring together and guide a range of technical and organizational interventions to address issues of SME development, gender equity, market growth and rural development.
The position will based in CIMMYT’s office in Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- Provide a leading voice on social science, including topics related to market development, SME promotion, innovations systems, within a multidisciplinary project team.
- Lead the design and implementation of R&D approaches and tools related to SME development, social inclusion, value chain growth, and multi-stakeholder innovation platforms.
- In collaboration with local and international researchers and consultants, conduct applied research on SMEs, value chain development, social inclusion, and innovation systems as related to agriculture, economic growth, and rural development.
- Contribute to innovation within value chains for services and inputs by identifying challenges and testing possible solutions, with multi-stakeholder interaction, and addressing capacity development in support of agricultural innovation and SMEs engaged in engineering/manufacturing context.
- Evaluate effectiveness and lessons learned related to value chains, SMEs, rural livelihoods, and innovation systems and CSISA MIs R4D and scaling activities.
- Contribute to building capacity of project staff and partners’ concepts and frameworks related to value chains, SMEs, rural livelihoods, and innovation systems.
- Engage with government agencies, NGOs, donors and businesses on research findings and implications for policy and strategies; Publish research findings related to SME development, market and value chains for services and inputs, innovation systems.
- Engage with researchers from CIMMYT’s Socioeconomic Program for cross-regional research and proposal elaboration related to markets and value chains for inputs and services.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- Ph.D. in Rural Development, Agricultural Economics, Agricultural Extension, Innovation Systems or related social science.
- At least 5 years of experience in supervising research staff and projects related to market and value chain development, innovation systems, research for development (R4D) platforms, or other approaches to development of rural agricultural knowledge and capacity
- A relevant research record on markets, SMEs, value chains, innovation systems or related research extending to study design, quantitative and qualitative analytic methods and peer-reviewed outputs.
- Familiarity with aspects of crop production.
- Ability to manage budgets and use project management software.
- Ability to develop and facilitate processes and systems related to research outputs.
- Strong English language skills, both written and spoken (proficiency in Bangla is strong advantage).
- Willingness to travel frequently, often to rural areas in developing countries.
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Collaboration, Relationship with external stakeholders, People Management, Multicultural Awareness, Teamwork, Strategic Thinking, Adaptability and Proactivity.
The position is for an initial fixed-term of three (3) years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT’s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, comprehensive health and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
Candidates must apply online to IRS19127_Market and Value Chain Specialist. Screening and follow up will begin on Friday, July 19, 2019. Applications must include a CV and a letter of interest. Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration. For further information on the selection process, please contact Yessica Castillo (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.