The Excellence in Breeding Platform (www.excellenceinbreeding.org) is a new cross-commodity platform that supports the modernization of breeding programs targeting Africa, Asia, and Latin America for greater impact on food and nutrition security, climate change adaptation and development.
The platform is part of the new CGIAR portfolio of research programs and platforms (www.cgiar.org/our-strategy), and being led by the International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit research and training organization with partners in over 100 countries (www.cimmyt.org)
The platform is seeking a Communications Specialist to work with the EiB team to support the mission and vision of EiB to effect improvements within partner breeding programs for the benefit of farmers in the developing world. In addition to working closely with the core EiB team, this position will liaise with CGIAR Centers’ communications departments and the broader CGIAR and agricultural community to leverage existing relationships with journalists, publications and key players in agricultural development circles to foster a positive perception of EiB among diverse CGIAR and external audiences.
The position will be based at CIMMYT’s main campus, 45 km northeast of Mexico City, Mexico. There will be some international travel required.
- Develop, and help implement and execute, an EiB communication and engagement strategy to help communicate and achieve EiB’s vision. This will be required at an overall EiB Platform level in addition to developing specific and/or stakeholder oriented strategies for more targeted purposes. Tasks include:
- Assist the team to use effective communication, and, develop communication pieces, to gain alliance and to develop a coalition amongst a diverse set of stakeholders for whom we need to impact (through implementing change) but without any direct authority.
- Contribute to the development of scientifically complex, and at times sensitive, communication pieces to be delivered to key Platform stakeholders, can include; EiB level and module level letters and updates, blogs, meeting presentations etc. to ensure we are fully utilizing effective communication to lead and support change.
- Assist in the planning, coordination and execution of annual meeting, workshops, centre visits to ensure highly effective communication is achieved.
- Assist with development of educational / training material. Assist with development of tools. Assist with development of professional written pieces (eg. journal articles) as part of EiB strategy.
- Assist the EiB team to formulate and design discussion forums, questionnaires, surveys, forms, templates, etc. to facilitate online communication within the broader EiB community and capture, in a standardized way, a large quantity of complex and technical data from clients.
- Assist with development of annual reports, work plan submissions, proposals, reports and presentations to board and DG.
- Assist with structure, function, aesthetics and utility of the Platforms’ online interface and material accessed through the interface.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree. Post-graduate qualifications will be viewed favorably.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience.
- Desire and ability to work effectively across a broad range of multicultural stakeholders recognizing and harnessing differences to enhance communication.
- Excellent planning, coordination and time management skills to deliver high quality products on time and on budget.
- Ability to work effectively with, and to leverage the skills and expertise from, a broad range of varied subject matter specialists (communication, scientific, IT etc.).
- Flexibility and adaptability to incorporate needed change in work.
- Ability to use communication to help effect culture changes in organizations.
- Ability to give and receive feedback in a constructive manner.
- Excellent comprehension and explanation skills. Ability to understand and re-formulate complex scientific and political messaging to address a wide range of stakeholders appropriately.
- Ability to develop professional power point presentations, posters and flyers to convey complex and sometimes sensitive messages.
- Excellent written and spoken English communication skills.
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Communication, Innovation and Creativity, Achievement Orientation, Relationship Management, Flexibility/Adaptability, Decision Making, Pro-activity and Multi-Cultural Awareness/Sensitivity.
The position is for an initial fixed-term of three (3) years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT’s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, comprehensive health and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
Candidates must apply online to IRS19122_Communications Specialist. Screening and follow up will begin on Monday, September 2, 2019. Applications must include a CV and a letter of interest. Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration. For further information on the selection process, please contact Yessica Castillo (email@example.com)
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.