EiB Regional Genotyping Coordinator
The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit agricultural research for development organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org.
The Excellence in Breeding Platform (www.excellenceinbreeding.org) (EiB) is a new cross-commodity platform that supports the modernization of breeding programs targeting Africa, Asia, and Latin America for greater impact on food and nutrition security, climate change adaptation and development. The platform is part of the new CGIAR portfolio of research programs and platforms (www.cgiar.org/our-strategy), being led by the International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, a not-for-profit research and training organization with partners in over 100 countries.
The platform is seeking a EiB Regional Genotyping Coordinator to optimize and streamline the flow of samples from a diverse range of breeding programs to genotyping laboratories, to assist with scheduling and forecasting with laboratories, and, to optimize the delivery of data back to the breeding programs. The successful candidate will need to find ways to drive down costs by identifying and implementing more efficient processes whilst ensuring timely delivery of high quality data to breeding programs.
This position is part of Module 3 of EiB which works to ensure breeding programs targeting the developing world have access to low cost, high throughput molecular marker technologies. Module 3 seeks to enable the use of cost-effective molecular marker technologies to implement genomic selection, marker assisted selection and quality assurance processes with the ultimate purpose of increasing rates of genetic gain. To achieve this will require close management of complex logistical processes required to coordinate timely delivery of high volume, high quality genotypic data from multiple service providers to multiple customers.
By providing important outcomes to under-resourced peoples, CGIAR centers and partnering organizations help realize the founding mission of the CGIAR system by serving farmers and consumers in low-and-middle-income countries for greater impact on food and nutrition security, climate change adaptation and development. EiB will draw from innovations sourced from CGIAR centers, advanced research institutes, and the private sector to provide access to cutting-edge tools, services, and best practices while providing application-oriented training and practical advice.
The position will be based at Nairobi, Kenya or any country within Africa with strong CGIAR presence. The position will involve international travel.
- Optimize and streamline the flow of samples from a diverse range of breeding programs to the genotyping laboratories- following protocols established under service agreements between EiB and service providers.
- Identify and implement more efficient genotyping workflow within the CGIAR network to drive the cost of genotyping down. This will require technical communication with service vendor from time to time.
- Work with genotyping laboratories to schedule sample flow and to optimize the delivery of data back to the breeding programs.
- Work with genotyping laboratories, breeding programs and the EiB Module 3 leader to ensure delivery of high quality genotypic data that can be readily interpreted and utilized.
- Work with the Module 3 leader to develop capacity for genotype data application among member breeding teams.
- Work closely with members to implement forward marker selection, genomic selection and appropriate quality assurance in breeding programs. With specific focus to breeding networks in Africa.
- Contribute to the Enterprise Breeding System (EBS) working group, specifically to communicate user requirement and logistic workflow to the EBS development team and to update users on new tools and service modules when they become available.
- Communicate opportunities (such as access to genotyping) to members both directly and through an EiB supported online toolbox, including precisely how to access these opportunities.
- Participant in regional forums and workshops from time to time to engage the research community on tools and services provided by EiB.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in utilizing genotyping tools in R&D setting. Experience in genotyping logistic handling and troubleshooting is a plus.
- Graduate and particularly post-graduate education in molecular biology or plant breeding will be viewed favorably.
- Ability to streamline a diverse group of users to minimize laboratory transaction costs.
- Understanding of opportunities and constraints associated with implementation of molecular marker technologies within a breeding program in developing countries is desired.
- Good leadership and communication skills.
- Results focused with a pragmatic attitude.
- Budget and time management skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills in English. French speaking is a plus.
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Communication, Teamwork, Achievement Orientation, Pro-Activity, and Multi-Cultural Awareness.
The position is for an initial fixed-term for three (3) years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT’s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, comprehensive health and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
Candidates must apply online to IRS18127_EiB Regional Genotyping Coordinator. Screening and follow up will begin on Monday, September 2, 2019. Applications must include a CV and a letter of interest. Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration. For further information on the selection process, please contact Yessica Castillo (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.