Web GIS Developer Consultant (106221)
Rome (Italy) | Italy
BACKGROUND AND PURPOSE OF THE ASSIGNMENT:
The Emergency Preparedness and Support Response Division (OSE) is responsible for enhancing the World Food Programme’s (WFP) preparedness and response capacity in emergencies, including early warning, preparedness planning, crisis support and information management.
The Geographical Information System (GIS) Unit within OSE and OSEP is continuously gathering data and updating georeferenced information to ensure that WFP is ready to create detailed cartography as well as spatial analysis of the areas of interest in order to support the humanitarian emergency response.
In order to improve accessibility to geographic information and tools, OSE has developed an infrastructure of geospatial data, which includes a Spatial Data Infrastructure (SDI) and an Open Source Web GIS environment.
The GIS developer will support maintenance and further improvement of the Open Source platform and development of other Web GIS application required by the team. He/she will report to the leader of the GIS developments, systems management and innovation team.
- Implement Web GIS applications using open source technology and ESRI software;
- Support activities on the development and administration of the WFPGeoNode platform;
- Maintain and further strengthen the cooperation with the GeoNode community
- Support the team in the release circles of new versions of the WFP GeoNode platform;
- Support the migration and test of the WFPGeoNode platform and other applications implemented by the GIS team to the Amazon cloud environment;
- Design and conduct trainings related to the WFPGeoNode and other GIS tools and projects used by the team;
- Post content in the GIS page in the WFP Communities platform;
- Produce documentation, presentations and projects proposals;
- When needed, attend workshops, conferences and other events on GIS technology, and support in other GIS tasks.
DELIVERABLES AT THE END OF THE CONTRACT:
- WFPGeoNode platform is up, running and accessible from locations where WFP operates;
- WEB GIS applications and interactive maps required by OSE and other divisions in WFP are created and maintained;
- WFPGeoNode is advertised and promoted within the humanitarian community as official OS platform for sharing geospatial assets;
- Web services are published using ArcGIS Server and GeoServer to integrate geographic datasets into other WFP systems;
- Content related to the GIS infrastructure and open source activities carried out in the GIS team is posted in the GIS page created in WFP Communities;
- Training modules and documentation about the WFPGeoNode and other Web GIS projects maintained by the team are up to date.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- Master’s degree, preferably in Geographic Information Systems, computer science or other relevant fields or equivalent work experience is required.
- Minimum of four years of increasingly relevant professional experience in full-stack development of Web GIS applications (with emphasis on the frontend); without a master’s degree: 6 years of proven working experience in developing web GIS applications.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Deep experience with developing webGIS applications with React.js framework and mapping libraries such as OpenLayers, Leaflet.js, Mapbox.js;
- Experience in the development of web applications using the Django framework;
- Hands on experience with geodatabases creation and management (PostgreSQL/PostGIS);
- Deep experience with OGC Services and GIS Server applications such as GeoServer, GeoWebCache, ArcGIS Server and ArcSDE;
- Working experience with IT infrastructure based on AWS technology;
- Working experience in managing and updating Linux (Ubuntu/Centos) and Windows based servers;
- Experience with GIS tools, such as gdal, psycopg, ogcserver, owslib;
- Experience with GIS Desktop tools such as QGIS and ESRI ArcGIS Desktop;
Fluency in English. The ideal candidate offers also knowledge of a second UN language (preferable French or Spanish).
Terms and Conditions
WFP offers a competitive compensation package which will be determined by the contract type and selected candidate’s qualifications and experience.
Please visit the following websites for detailed information on working with WFP.
http://www.wfp.org Click on: “Our work” and “Countries” to learn more about WFP’s operations.
Deadline for applications: 26 August 2019
Ref.: VA No. 106221