Lecturer for Civil Engineering in Goma, DR Congo
Goma (Congo Democratic)
Dienste in Übersee is searching on behalf of partner organisations of Bread for the World:
The Partner ULPGL
The Université Libre des Pays des Grands Lacs (ULPGL) is a state-approved university that was founded in 1990 by six Protestant churches of the Democratic Republic of the Congo. Its main campus is located in Goma, the provincial capital of North Kivu. It also has satellite campuses in Butembu, North Kivu and Bukavu, South Kivu.
The ULPGL has a very high reputation with increasing enrolments. The Department of Technical Sciences is the second largest with approx. 600 students. A tracer study revealed that more than 86 per cent of the alumni obtained an employment in either the private or the public sector.
The Department for Engineering has very good technical equipment. It lacks however qualified staff so that the Department has to rely on guest lecturers. At the moment there are only two lecturers and four research assistants. With the help of the European professional the Department now wants to qualify lecturers for Civil Engineering, also for further employment at the university. The professional will be involved in both the Bachelor of Engineering programme and the Master of Civil Engineering programme. In Civil Engineering the emphasis lies on water engineering as well as construction engineering (bridge and metal construction).
Duties and Responsibilities
- Designing and implementing lectures and seminars for the Bachelor of Engineering programme and for the Master of Civil Engineering programme with a focus on water engineering and construction engineering (bridge and metal construction)
- Developing curricula and teaching material
- Supervising students in their practical work in laboratories and workshops
- Technical and pedagogical qualification of academic staff
- Recruiting and networking with national and international research institutes
- Collaborating in committees of the university
The professional will be supervised by the Head of the Department. The professional will be working closely together with at least two other colleagues who will take over his / her tasks after the end of the contract.
- Citizenship of member state of the EU or Switzerland
- Master’s degree or equivalent in Engineering, PhD preferred
- Relevant teaching and work experience in water engineering and construction engineering, also abroad
- Excellent command of French, good command of German or English
- High degree of cultural sensitivity
- Flexibility and resilience
- Willingness to be involved in a Christian environment / university
Bread for the World/Brot für die Welt offers professionals from Dienste in Übersee the chance to make their contribution towards a sustainable development which benefits the local population through a mutually respectful knowledge transfer and exchange of experience.
- Individual preparation of approx. three months in Germany and Europe
- 3 year contract with benefits according to the German Development Worker Act
- Coaching during time abroad
You are interested?
Please send your Europass-CV, cover letter and relevant certificates until
(job account number: COD1700289)
Dienste in Übersee gGmbH
Dienste in Übersee gGmbH is a 100% subsidiary of the
Protestant Agency for Diakonia and Development
with the brand Bread for the World