Accounting Assistant, Accounts Receivable and Treasury
Bioversity International is a global research-for-development organization. Our vision is that agricultural biodiversity nourishes people and sustains the planet.
We deliver scientific evidence, management practices and policy options to use and safeguard agricultural biodiversity to attain sustainable global food and nutrition security. We work with partners in low-income countries in different regions where agricultural biodiversity can contribute to improved nutrition, resilience, productivity and climate change adaptation.
Bioversity International is a CGIAR Research Centre.
For further information on Bioversity International, consult our website at:
Under the supervision of the Senior Accountant, the Accounting Assistant, Accounts Receivable and Treasury will provide support for the work of the Finance Unit. More specifically he/she will:
Accounts Receivable (AR)
- Prepare invoices to donors for restricted grants and other organizations for reimbursements
- Book AR invoices/receipts into the accounting system by doing appropriate journal entries
- Maintain the receipts schedules (receipts spreadsheet) and all related files
- Maintain spreadsheet of funds expected from donors
- Complete bank information templates for donors
- Prepare official receipts for funds received from donors
- Keep schedules for funds in trust
- Prepare financial reports and invoices for the entities hosted by Bioversity
- Update the Grants database with donor receipts
- Follow up with Grants Administration Unit on unspent funds from projects
- Prepare cash flow analysis and reconciliation in support of the cash flow report
- Provide support to Accounts Receivable/Accounts Payable monthly analysis and reporting
- Report on Aging of Accounts Receivable as per International Financial Reporting Standards
- Prepare closure of agreements upon final donor contributions and completion of partner financial deliverables
- Handle disbursements related to Letters of Agreement
- Check that all of the approvals have been collected as per policies and procedures
- Check funds availability and make payments
- Record payments in the accounting system cashbook
- Prepare payments using the electronic banking system
- Obtain signatories according to bank signatory levels
- Provide support to analysis and follow-up on unpaid Letters of Agreement
- Follow-up with banks on returned and/or problematic payments
Qualifications and competencies
Essential qualifications and competencies
- Secondary school education supplemented by relevant training in Accounting/Finance
- Minimum of 4 years of relevant experience
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office Suite packages
- Excellent command of the English language, both written and spoken
- Strong interpersonal, communications and teamwork skills; courtesy and tact, and the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with people of different cultural and national backgrounds
- Well developed skills in personal organization and priority setting, problem solving and accuracy
- Strong client orientation and service approach
Desirable qualifications and competencies
- University Degree or equivalent in a relevant field
- Work experience in an international environment
Terms and conditions:
This is a locally recruited position. All benefits are denominated and paid in EURO. The salary is level 4, in a scale of eight levels, with level 8 being the highest. The salary range starts from Euro 35,652 per annum. The remuneration package includes a competitive salary, leave provisions, medical and life insurance, and non-contributory retirement plan. The contract will be for a period of 3 years, subject to a probationary period of 12 months. Please note this position is only open to citizens and residents of the European Union.
Please apply online through the Bioversity Job Opportunities website (http://www.bioversityinternational.org/jobs/) by clicking the “Apply” button, completing the online application and attaching the required information, no later than 27 September 2019. Please note that in the application you are required to provide the contact details (address, telephone number and e-mail address) of at least three referees, which Bioversity will contact for shortlisted applicants.
Bioversity International is an equal opportunity employer and strives for staff diversity.