Technical Adviser (Agricultural Cooperatives Expert)
Riyadh (Saudi Arabia)
IMPORTANT NOTICE\: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
The length of appointment for internal FAO candidates will be established in accordance with applicable policies pertaining to the extension of appointments
• FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender and nationality
• People with disabilities are protected from any type of discrimination during any stage of employment, including the recruitment phase
• All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
• The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization
The Programme Management Unit (PMU) of the FAO-Saudi Technical Cooperation Programme (2019-2025) facilitates, coordinates and manages all technical and advisory services to be provided by FAO to the Ministry of Environment, Water and Agriculture (MoEWA) of Saudi Arabia. The project UTF/SAU/051/SAU ‘Strengthening MoEWA's Capacity to Implement the Sustainable Rural Agricultural Development Programme' is a project within the framework of the FAO-Saudi Technical Cooperation Programme (2019-2025). The project will provide technical and advisory assistance to the MoEWA in implementing its flagship sustainable rural agricultural development programme that has recently been approved within the context of the National Transformation Programme of the Saudi Vision 2030. The project’s expected results will be achieved through the implementation of nine project components\: 1) Development of coffee Arabica production, processing and marketing; 2) Development of beekeeping and honey production; 3) Development of rose production and trade; 4) Development of subtropical fruits production, processing and marketing; 5) Strengthening capacity of small-scale fishers and fish farmers; 6) Strengthening capacity of small-scale livestock herders; 7) Development of rainfed cereal production; 8) Enhancing value addition from smallholdings and rural activities; and 9) Strengthening MoEWA's capacity in sustainable management of rangelands, forests and natural resources to support rural livelihoods.
The incumbent will be part of the PMU of the FAO-Saudi Technical Cooperation Programme in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
The Technical Adviser reports to the Programme Coordinator in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia under the overall guidance of the Assistant Director-General/Regional Representative, RNE.
Capacity development for smallholders' rural agricultural cooperatives and associations.
Comprehensive technical and policy expertise to support the planning, development and implementation of departmental/divisional programmes, projects, products and services in accordance with departmental/divisional objectives and FAO’s Strategic Objectives.
• Provides technical leadership assistance on the development, implementation and evaluation of assigned programmes/projects; assists in the review of relevant documents and reports; identifies priorities, liaises with relevant parties; identifies follow-up actions;
• Coordinates programme-related activities and reviews the assessments of issues and trends for the implementation of programmes and projects and the preparation of impact evaluation or equivalent studies;
• Supervises preparation of various written outputs, e.g. background papers, analysis, substantial sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications;
• Contributes to consultative and other meetings, conferences, including proposals for agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations;
• Participates in activities such as structuring of training workshops, seminars; makes presentations on assigned topics/activities;
• Leads field missions, including provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties;
• Advises on the development of policies and strategies, as well as national protocols and guidelines for projects with specific domains related to FAO's work.
• Leads comprehensive situation analysis of existing agricultural cooperatives in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia with emphasis on Arabic coffee, roses, beekeeping, cereals, subtropical fruits, fisheries and livestock cooperatives in the target regions to give directions to its sustainable development;
• Assesses the capacities and performance of existing rural agriculture cooperatives and benchmarks best practices and business models of agricultural cooperatives regionally and globally;
• Reviews and assesses the existing agricultural cooperative governance structure to strengthen cooperative networks and support structures;
• Reviews and revises as appropriate smallholders specific agricultural cooperative policy, institutional and regulatory frameworks to comply with international cooperative standards;
• Organizes youth and women into commodity/enterprise specific informal groups and cooperatives;
• Develops pilot business model for rose, rainfed cereal, subtropical fruit and coffee small growers' cooperatives and association, small-scale fisheries and rural aquaculture cooperatives, small beekeepers association and honey cooperatives, and livestock herders association in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia;
• Develops and implements a training programme to strengthen technical, operational and managerial skills of the agricultural cooperatives' members;
• Designs and implements an awareness campaign for small agricultural producers and cooperatives members on cooperative concepts, roles, rules and membership regulations;
• Designs and delivers a needs-based training programme on agribusiness management, and value chain development for small producers and their cooperatives and other value chain actors;
• Leads development of demand driven and responsive partnerships to benefit Saudi Arabia from proven innovations and good practices in the south and the north for strengthening agricultural cooperatives;
• Leads development and dissemination of information and knowledge products for strengthening agricultural cooperatives;
• Prepares quarterly and semi-annual project component progress reports and identifies lessons learned, constraints and issues that require timely resolution and corrective actions and presents recommendations for improving the performance.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Advanced university degree in agricultural economics, development economics, rural sociology, food security, nutrition, sustainable agriculture (including livestock, forestry and fisheries), plant production/breeding, agronomy or any related field;
• Seven years of relevant experience in technical cooperation–related activities, policy advice and analysis relating to food and nutrition, agriculture and rural development, monitoring and evaluation of policies and programmes;
• Working knowledge of English, French or Spanish and limited knowledge of one of the other two or Arabic, Chinese, Russian.
• Results Focus
• Team Work
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable;
• Extent and relevance of experience in technical cooperation related activities, policy advice and analysis relating to food and nutrition security, agriculture and rural development, monitoring and evaluation of policies and programmes;
• Extent and relevance of experience in agricultural marketing/marketing institutions or development economics;
• Extent and relevance of experience in implementation and management of technical assistance programmes or projects for capacity strengthening in the field of agricultural cooperatives and farmers associations;
• Demonstrated capacity to coordinate country level activities and to organize and lead consultative processes involving several partner institutions and stakeholders;
• Extent and relevance of experience in the development of results frameworks, logical framework, project work plans and budget;
• Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of Arabic is considered a strong asset.