Senior Humanitarian Access Advisor
The Hague (Netherlands)
Requisition ID: req6501
Job Title: Senior Humanitarian Access Advisor
Sector: Emergency Response
Employment Category: Proposal
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: Yes
Location: Hague, Netherlands
Humanitarian crises are becoming longer and more complex and resulting in increased humanitarian needs in high-risk and hard-to-reach locations, challenging humanitarian actors’ abilities to reach people in need wherever they are. Faced with these challenges, the International Rescue Committee reaffirms its risk appetite, commitment to scale and reach and the guiding principles of humanity and impartiality: reaching the most vulnerable wherever they are.
In collaboration with Stichting Vluchteling, the IRC is increasing its ability to deliver impartial humanitarian action through operational and technical assistance in humanitarian access. As part of the IRC’s Emergencies and Humanitarian Action Unit and SV’s headquarters a new team will build on the IRC’s developing thought and operational leadership on humanitarian access and, with SV, develop a centre of expertise and shared operational capacity, reaching out from The Hague to key centres in Europe and globally.
The team will provide field-based and remote assistance to regional, country and emergency programs to obtain, sustain and improve humanitarian access to and for people in need, including through the provision of expertise and support on humanitarian negotiation, civil-military coordination and engagement with armed groups.
The Senior Humanitarian Access Advisor leads the IRC’s operational and technical assistance to regions, countries and emergency teams to advance humanitarian access to and for people in need. The role leads the development of guidance and tools to facilitate reaching hard-to-reach populations and supports program delivery through the provision of timely and quality advice and management support. S/he ensures the quality of all operational and technical assistance and field deployments, leads advanced missions and oversees special projects as assigned.
- Lead the development, dissemination, training and application of field-oriented tools, techniques and guidelines to develop and sustain humanitarian access in the field and ensure the implementation of global strategies and standards
- Coordinate closely with regions, country programs and emergency teams to arrange and oversee the necessary support and deployment of personnel, remote assistance and training in line with agreed strategic priorities
- Provide support and technical leadership to colleagues deployed on missions, including through mentorship, training and expert technical guidance
- Ensure ongoing monitoring, research, reflection, analysis and evaluation of the effectiveness of humanitarian access strategies, missions, technical assistance and training and the learning and integration of lessons identified
- Monitor and report on the overall situation of humanitarian access across programs and contribute evidence and advice to global policy and advocacy strategies on access
- Provide remote and on-site technical support and assistance when required, supporting the design, development and delivery of humanitarian access strategies, in particular deploying in a senior capacity to oversee missions in large scale, high risk or new contexts
- Oversee and guide the implementation of strategic and special projects relating to humanitarian access including in collaboration with other teams and units
- Provide expert advice and guidance to management and leadership on strategy and planning related to humanitarian access including, inter alia, humanitarian negotiation, civil-military coordination and engagement with armed groups
- Represent humanitarian access across the organization, serving as a key resource to IRC and SV staff seeking information about activities, including external relations and advocacy departments
- Liaise and coordinate with partners and centres of professional development and excellence on delivery of training and learning programs and identify opportunities for development and collaboration
Education: Master’s/post-graduate degree in humanitarian affairs or relevant field or equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
Work experience: A minimum of seven to 10 years implementing and/or managing humanitarian assistance and/or protection in complex emergencies. Experience in strategy development, operational planning and working across sectors or disciplines is highly desired.
Demonstrated skills and competencies:
- Comprehensive knowledge and applied experience of humanitarian principles and international humanitarian law in strategic and operational planning
- Knowledge and applied experience of context and conflict analysis, humanitarian access strategies, humanitarian negotiation, humanitarian civil-military coordination, engagement with armed groups and/or community engagement
- Knowledge and experience of risk management, program criticality, remote management and/or complex supply chains a strong advantage
- Knowledge and experience in designing, developing and delivering technical assistance and training programs
- Excellent ability to work with multiple stakeholders and achieve results through collaboration and coordination
- Excellent communication, negotiation, diplomatic and interpersonal skills
- Excellent analytical skills with the ability to summarise complex topics and information clearly and succinctly
Language skills: Fluency in English required; strong preference for additional proficiency in French, Spanish and/or Arabic.
Working environment: Up to 40% travel may be required, including extended field missions. This position will be based in The Hague.