Communications Assistant, Senegal Country Program
Communications Assistant, Senegal Country Program
The Communications Assistant will be a GGGI staff, embedded within the Green Secondary Cities Wastewater, Plastic Waste and WEEE Management: Innovative Business Model for Recycling and Valorization Project Management Unit in Dakar, Senegal. The Communications Assistant will report to the GGGI Solid Waste Expert & Coordinator of the Project.
The Communications Assistant implements comprehensive communications and knowledge management functions for the Project. He/she is in charge of supporting the preparation of the Project communications strategy and plan, in cooperation with the key stakeholders. He/she is carrying out necessary research and basic analysis of communications content and channels; supporting the development and management of work plan information to optimize accessibility and functionality; supporting third party communications suppliers; implementing (with assistance from other Project staff) the Project communications strategy and outreach and content dissemination at the City and national level in accordance with partner requirements.
The role of Communications Assistant is to support implementation of communications and knowledge management functions for the Project on Green Secondary Cities Wastewater, Plastic Waste and Waste from Electrical & Electronic Equipment Management for Innovative Business Model for Recycling and Valorization in Senegal.
The responsibilities will include:
- Provide communications support to the Project Management Team;
- Attend meetings and assist with preparation of technical notes;
- Management of public relations and media related to the Project (including drafting speaking notes, presentations & speeches for the project representatives);
- Support content development for a monthly newsletter highlighting interesting resources and sharing messages from the consultation process;
- Publish a monthly newsletter;
- Support the establishment & management of a shared contact database and partner relationship management system including media related contacts;
- Support overall communications of all Project events;
- Promote events such as fairs, dialogues with private sector and civil society at national and local levels;
- Maintain a list of interested stakeholders and facilitate communication an email list and online discussion forum;
- Support the development of a marketing and communication pack including information blurbs, key messages, photos, logos, existing media coverage that can be used by all partners;
- Supports the Project management team in the implementation of communication and public relations to raise visibility of the project activities for different audiences;
- Maintain relationships with the project’s partners and keys stakeholders, including implementing partners and beneficiaries;
- Support the Project’s engagement with the municipalities of Dakar, Tivaouane and Touba and knowledge management within the Country Program.
- Contribute to the design of communications and knowledge management strategy and implementation plan for the Project.
- Support implementation of communications and knowledge management strategy / plan.
- Support development of content in collaboration with partners, for communications materials and communications-related research and analysis.
- Support procurement related to communications and knowledge management.
- Develop reports on Project communications and knowledge management activities.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field, preferably communications, marketing, business administration, or a related discipline; graduate degree is an asset;
- At least 2 years of relevant professional experience preferably in one or more of the following fields: communications and outreach; public policy and administration; climate change; waste management.;
- Experience working with an international organization, government, donor, multilateral or NGOs;
- Experience using social media to promote an organization or event and communicating professionally on social media (including Facebook, twitter, etc);
- Experience in promoting workshops, events and fairs;
- Experience in at least one of the following areas: public service campaign; conventional and social media strategy; communications content development; evidence and data-based communications; design and content development; strategy development;
- Experience developing newsletters would be an advantage;
- Knowledge of green growth and climate change issues would be an advantage;
- Self-motivated, creative problem-solving abilities;
- Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team and be a strong team worker with strong interpersonal skills;
- Demonstrated experience in producing reports and communication materials;
- Excellent multi-cultural literacy and interest in being a part of an international team working in an evolving and
- entrepreneurial environment;
- Experience working across multi country context is an advantage;
- Capacity to think creatively in addressing policy and operational issues while maintaining a strong client and results
- Good command in French and English (both spoken and written). Fluency in the local language is preferred.
- Understand and actively supports GGGI's mission, vision and values;
- Promote an organizational culture of trust, transparency, respect and partnership;
- Process and share information easily and is excellent at problem solving;
- Manage emotions and stress positively, builds rapport and resolves conflict easily;
- Promote creativity and innovation among staff.
Child protection – GGGI is committed to child protection, irrespective of whether any specific area of work involves direct contact with children. GGGI’s Child Protection Policy is written in accordance with the Convention on the Rights of the Child.