RE-ADVERTISEMENT: Regional Humanitarian Advisor - East and Southern African Region, Nairobi, Kenya, P-5
This is a re-advertisement. Those who had applied to the prior vacancy announcement do not need to re-apply.
The Regional Humanitarian Advisor (RHA) is responsible for operationalizing UNFPA’s corporate humanitarian vision in the East and Southern African region. You will provide high level policy and programme planning support in matters related to humanitarian and fragile contexts in the ESA region; undertake risk analysis, provide country offices with technical advice and coordination support on contingency planning and emergency response efforts, quality assurance and evaluation support for UNFPA’s humanitarian portfolio in the region with particular focus on the most vulnerable groups such as refugee and displaced communities especially women, girls and young people.
You will represent UNFPA and work in collaboration with regional humanitarian partners (UN and international NGOs), regional institutions and other stakeholders to strengthen and advocate for emergency preparedness and disaster risk reduction and to provide humanitarian assistance to crisis affected communities in a manner consistent with Inter-Agency Standing Committee guidance and within the context of the New Way of Working (NWOW) to strengthen the humanitarian, development, and peace continuum.
You will report directly to the Deputy Regional Director, East and Southern African Region.
How you can make a difference:
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person's potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s new strategic plan (2018-2021), focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices.
In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
Qualifications and Experience
Advanced degree in Public Health, Medicine, Sociology, Demography, Gender, International Relations, International Development, Humanitarian Emergencies, Management or other related field.
Knowledge and Experience:
- 10 years of increasingly responsible professional experience in managing humanitarian programmes relevant to UNFPA’s mandate, including five at the international level
- Substantive knowledge and practical experience in sexual and reproductive health and/or gender based violence in emergencies
- Experience with Minimum Initial Service Package (MISP) for Reproductive Health (RH) implementation and the IASC GBV guidelines
- Strong analytical, reporting writing, coordination and organizational skills
- Experience in programme and/or technical assistance with the UN System
- Excellent knowledge of policies and guidelines related to humanitarian affairs and reforms
- Experience in providing technical and assistance and capacity building
- Field experience, particularly in humanitarian settings
Fluency in English; knowledge of other official UN languages is desirable.