Intern, Science Writer and Editor
The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) envisions a more equitable world where forestry and landscapes enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR is a non-profit, scientific institution that conducts research on the most pressing challenges of forest and landscape management around the world. Using a global, multidisciplinary approach, we aim to improve human well-being, protect the environment, and increase equity. To do so, we conduct innovative research, develop partners’ capacity, and actively engage in dialogue with all stakeholders to inform policies and practices that affect forests and people. CIFOR is a CGIAR Research Center, and leads the CGIAR Research Program on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry (FTA). Our headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, with offices in Nairobi, Kenya; Yaoundé, Cameroon; Lima, Peru; and Bonn, Germany.
Intern, Science Writer and Editor
The Science Writer and Editor internship program provides a unique learning opportunity for students and recent graduates from diverse academic backgrounds. CIFOR interns have the opportunity to work and gain insights into generating, editing and curating content and special features for CIFOR’s scientific publications, corporate website and enhance the publications’ quality and effectiveness in attracting and engaging with target audiences, with the aim of increasing the number of downloads and citations.
CIFOR.org, which attracts more than one million views a year, is home to the world’s largest repository of knowledge on tropical forests and landscapes, built by CIFOR’s researchers and partners throughout the organization’s more than 25-year history. CIFOR designs and packages knowledge for audiences in new ways. This internship will suit an emerging writer and editor with an interest in how to translate complex concepts into layman terms, a passion for science communications, and ideas on ways to present content in print and digital forms to better engage target audiences. An academic background in journalism as well as an understanding of social media and how websites work are helpful.
Duties and responsibilities
- Write and/or edit scientific publications and other materials
- Produce and curate content on CIFOR.org
- Liaise with researchers and project coordinators to support the development of web resources and sites, write and edit copy
- Work with the Social Media team to create content for social media
- Other tasks related to scientific writing and editing for print and web
Education, knowledge and experience
• Recent graduate of a bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations, journalism, social sciences, international development, environmental science or a related discipline. Master’s degree would be an advantage
• Demonstrated ability to write and edit high-quality and accessible English language science communications materials in a range of styles as required (samples of unedited writing will be requested)
• A demonstrated interest in and knowledge of issues related to forests, climate, landscapes and sustainable development
• Native fluency in formal and idiomatic English; other major languages an asset
• Proven skills in social media networking
• Familiarity with micro-blogging, WordPress and content marketing
Personal Attributes and Competencies
• Effective time management and the ability to think strategically and find solutions
• An excellent eye for detail and dedication to quality outputs
• Good interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to interact effectively with people of different national and cultural backgrounds and to be a collaborative team player
• A strong interest in using traditional and digital media to communicate complex information to broad audiences, and in gaining skills in communicating science
Terms and Conditions
• This is an internship opportunity for 6 months.
• CIFOR may provide the Intern with a monthly stipend. The stipend provided to the Intern shall follow the rate used by the Human Resources Unit for Interns at CIFOR.
• The duty station will be in Bogor, Indonesia.
To apply, please visit our career site at:
To learn more about CIFOR, please visit our website at:
CIFOR is an equal opportunity employer. Staff diversity contributes to excellence.
Application processThe application deadline is 20 Nov-2019
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.