Data Science - Detection of “point merge” traffic patterns from trajectory data
- Type of traineeship: Data Science - Detection of “point merge” traffic patterns from trajectory data
- Location: Brétigny-sur-Orge
- Directorate/Service: DECMA/INO/ATS - Advanced Traffic Services Unit
- Publication date: 18/10/2019
- Closing date: 15/11/2019
Within the Innovation division of the Directorate European Civil-Military Aviation, the Advanced Traffic Services unit (ATS) carries out research and innovation projects related to air traffic control (ATC). Our studies range from development to validation of innovative concepts, procedures and tools for air traffic controllers or pilots, for arrivals, departures or en-route (cruise) operations.
In particular, the ATS unit developed a new sequencing technique for arrival flights based on a specific route structure (Point Merge). Twenty airports in the world are known to use it but there may be more which are not identified.
PURPOSE OF THE TRAINEESHIP
The trainee is expected to develop a method (an algorithm) to detect automatically Point Merge traffic patterns from trajectory data, and to apply this method on a large data set (Europe and worldwide).
The trainee will participate in the following tasks:
- Collect and organise relevant trajectory data from existing/available sources (Europe and worldwide);
- Capture the relevant characteristics of Point Merge patterns (geometry, altitudes);
- Develop, test and refine an algorithm using data science techniques (e.g. clustering) to detect the specific Point Merge patterns from a test data set;
- Apply this algorithm to all the known Point Merge airports data set, then to the complete data set to detect any other airports (may require high performance computing techniques);
- Actively interact with operations and data specialists within the team to characterise the problem, interpret the results and progress/orientate the study.
From 4 to 6 months.
We are looking for bright students:
- In a masters educational programme in computer science / applied mathematics with a specialisation in data science;
- Knowledge of data science techniques (visualisation, data exploration, clustering, supervised and unsupervised modelling) and tools (R or Python with libraries such as numpy, pandas, matplotlib);
- Knowledge of the Unix environment (bash commands, scripts) and database;
- Knowledge of basics in process optimization would be an asset;
- The working languages of the Agency are English and French. Therefore, candidates must have an excellent command of English and/or French (written and verbal). Additional language knowledge may be an asset.
- Applications will be accepted from nationals of ECAC Member States only.
- This opportunity falls under the Traineeship Programme Regulations.
- A flat-rate allowance of €900 per month as a contribution towards living expenses will be granted.
- Reimbursement of travel expenses to take up appointment and leave may be covered by means of a lump sum.
- EUROCONTROL is committed to non-discrimination and equal opportunities. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates, irrespective of gender, age, disability, race, colour, ethnic or social origin, religion or belief, marital or parental status and sexual orientation.
In the event of equal merit, preference may be given to the applicant from to the under-represented diversity characteristics.
- Only the candidates who will be invited for an interview/test will be informed of the outcome of the selection.