Executive Secretary Global Forum on Agricultural Research and Innovation (GFAR)
IMPORTANT NOTICE\: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
The length of appointment for internal FAO candidates will be established in accordance with applicable policies pertaining to the extension of appointments.
• People with disabilities are protected from any type of discrimination during any stage of employment, including the recruitment phase
• All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
• The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization.
Summary of Duties and Functions
• Develop a Medium Term Plan and annual programme of work and budget, review and propose updates of GFAR strategic documents, Commission studies and facilitate discussion on strategic issues, helping Partners to develop national, regional and global research and innovation agendas and plans.
• Act as Secretary (ex officio) to all GFAR Committees and deliver the practical organization of the GFAR Partners Assembly, Steering Committee and EXCO meetings and others. Co- organize the GCARD process and event with the CGIAR and mobilize/represent partner input into the strategic planning of international agricultural research for development.
• Manage staff recruitment processes and employment, in accordance with FAO rules and procedures, for a high performance and effective team, adapting to evolving needs.
• Coordinate the Secretariat’s role in helping to mobilize GFAR Partners to engage in collective advocacy and actions, with particular attention to the voices and needs of farmers, to transform and strengthen agri-food innovation systems and processes, support the mentoring of their start-up and record and share learning from their progress. Support communication, interaction and knowledge-sharing among GFAR Partners through the GFAR website and social media and promote change in national agri-food research and innovation systems and in sub-regional and inter-regional/global processes.
• Mobilize and direct the use of GFAR technical and financial resources to catalyse multi- stakeholder collective actions among Partners. Manage the effective administration of contract commissioning, tracking and learning from activities commissioned with GFAR Partners.
• Generate and maintain active contact with relevant funding agencies, mobilize financial resources with GFAR Partners to catalyse and assist development of collective actions. Manage the finances of the Secretariat, ensuring audit compliance and prepare financial reports for approval of the Steering Committee and funders. Build further value from the relationship between GFAR and its Facilitating agencies; FAO & IFAD.
• Extensive professional experience in planning, and organizing interdisciplinary work programmes and in managing and providing budgetary oversight, with demonstrated management and professional competence and mastery of relevant subject matters, including in partnership development, capacity development, strengthening of research and innovation systems, education reform, knowledge management and participatory innovation, in a multidisciplinary environment;
• Expertise in resource mobilization, including coordinating project proposals for funding and interacting with donors and funding agencies;
• Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of French, Spanish, Arabic, Chinese or Russian;
• Ability to lead and work effectively with a diverse team of people of different national and cultural backgrounds and across different public, private and civil sectors, in an international setting.