UN Women Programme Analyst on Ending Violence Against Women (Open to Moldova Nationals Only)
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
UN Women’s presence in the Republic of Moldova has evolved from being a project-based office in 2007 to a Country Office with full delegated authority as of 2015. Currently, UN Women Moldova Country Office is implementing its Strategic Note (SN) for 2018-2022, which is aligned with the Republic of Moldova-United Nations Partnership Framework for Sustainable Development 2018-2022 and the Global Strategic Plan of UN Women. The SN 2018-2022 aims at advancing progress under the following three Impact Areas (IA): IA1: More women from diverse groups fully participate and lead in governance processes and institutions, IA2: Women have income security, decent work and economic autonomy, IA3: Public authorities, institutions and communities prevent violence against women and girls and deliver quality essential services.
Under the impact on preventing violence against women and girls and delivery of quality essential services, UN Women will contribute to the realization of the Outcome: Parliament and Government adopt and implement laws, policies and strategies to prevent violence against women and girls and deliver quality essential services, which is planned to be implemented via three inter-connected outputs: Output 1: Public institutions have capacities to apply international norms and standards in developing and implementing laws, policies and services towards eliminating VAW, Output 2: Target communities and institutions, including in the field of education, have knowledge and tools to combat stereotypes and gender discrimination and advance favorable social norms that prevent VAW and Output 3: Women and girls, especially from excluded groups, have knowledge and skills to exercise their rights to essential services.
Contributing to the realization of this Outcome, UN Women will continue supporting the implementation and further alignment of the legislative and policy framework on preventing and combating violence against women, in line with the national commitments and international norms and standards, including the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women (CEDAW) and the Council of Europe Convention on preventing and combating violence against women and domestic violence (Istanbul Convention). UN Women will build and expand on its experience employing adaptive solutions by empowering survivors of violence from various backgrounds to speak up and advocate for concrete actions with their peers as well as with authorities and the media.
UN Women is therefore looking for a Programme Analyst on Ending Violence Against Women, who will be responsible for the EVAW Portfolio of UN Women Country Office.
Reporting to the Programme Specialist, the Programme Analyst contributes to the effective management of UN Women programmes in the CO by providing substantive inputs to programme design, formulation, implementation and evaluation. S/he guides and facilitates the delivery of UN Women programmes by monitoring results achieved during implementation and ensuring appropriate application of systems and procedures and develops enhancements if necessary. She/he works in close collaboration with the programme and operations team, UN Women HQ staff, Government officials, multi and bi-lateral donors and civil society ensuring successful UN Women programme implementation under portfolio.
Duties and Responsibilities
Contribute technically to the development of programme strategies in the EVAW area
- Provide substantive inputs to the design and formulation of programme/ project proposals and initiatives;
- Identify areas for support and intervention related to the programme;
- Keep abreast of the latest global, regional and national developments in the EVAW area and provide substantive inputs to shape national strategies, policies, programmes and norms and standards in the area of ending violence against women;
- Assist the Country Office (CO) in identifying promising practice, technical expertise and strategic opportunities for eliminating EVAW and gender issues, including through innovative approaches.
Provide substantive technical support to the implementation and management of the EVAW programme
- Coordinate the overall Programme/Portfolio work plan and budget development and implementation according to Strategic Note/ programme document;
- Lead the implementation of programme activities;
- Lead the coordination of the call/request for proposals, including the organization of technical review committees, and capacity assessment of partners;
- Establish systems for project planning, implementation and monitoring, in collaboration with partners;
- Review, coordinate and monitor the submission of implementing partner financial and narrative reports;
- Train partners on Results Based Management and monitor implementation.
Provide technical assistance and capacity development to project/programme partners
- Coordinate and provide technical support in the implementation of programme activities; Develop technical knowledge products
- Maintain relationships with national partners to support implementation and expansion of the EVAW programme;
- Identify opportunities for capacity building of partners and facilitate technical/ programming support and trainings to partners, as needed.
Provide technical inputs to the monitoring and reporting of the programme/ project
- Identify key performance indicators as well as develop and maintain a monitoring system to ensure effective information sharing, provision of feedback and elaboration of top quality progress reports
- Monitor progress of implementation of activities and finances using results based management tools;
- Draft reports on monitoring missions, programme results s, outputs and outcomes;
- Provide substantive inputs to the preparation of donor and UN Women reports.
Manage people and finances of the EVAW programme
- Coordinate development and preparation of financial resources of the programme including budgeting and budget revisions, and expenditure tracking and reporting;
- Monitor budget implementation and make budget re-alignments/ revisions, as necessary;
- Monitor the allocation and disbursement of funds to participating partners;
- Supervise staff in the CO and in the projects.
Provide substantive inputs to building partnerships and resource mobilization strategies
- Provide substantive inputs to resource mobilization strategies; analyze and maintain information and databases;
- Prepare relevant documentation such as project summaries, conference papers, briefing notes, speeches, and donor profiles;
- Participate in donor meetings and public information events, as delegated.
Provide technical support to inter-agency coordination on EVAW to achieve coherence and alignment of UN Women programmes with other partners in the country
- Provide substantive technical support to the Country Representative and Programme Specialist on inter-agency coordination related activities by drafting background reports and briefs;
- Participate on behalf of UN Women in relevant inter-agency working groups and promote UN Women mandate.
Provide substantive inputs to advocacy, knowledge building and communication efforts
- Develop background documents, briefs and presentations related to EVAW;
- Coordinate and organize advocacy campaigns, events, trainings, workshops and knowledge products;
- Coordinate the development of knowledge management methodologies, and products on EVAW.
Key Performance Indicators
- Timely and quality substantive inputs programme strategies and activities;
- Timely and quality substantive inputs to workplans and budgets;
- Adherence to UN Women standards and rules;
- Timely monitoring and tracking of programme results and finances;
- Relationship with partners and stakeholders;
- Timely organization of events;
- Quality of knowledge and advocacy products.
- Respect for Diversity;
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues;
- Creative Problem Solving;
- Effective Communication;
- Inclusive Collaboration;
- Stakeholder Engagement;
- Leading by Example.
Please visit this link for more information on UN Women’s Core Values and Competencies:http://www.unwomen.org/media/headquarters/attachments/sections/about%20us/employment/un-women-employment-values-and-competencies-definitions-en.pdf
- Good programme formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation skills;
- Good knowledge of Results Based Management;
- Ability to gather and interpret data, reach logical conclusions and present findings and recommendations;
- Good analytical skills;
- Good knowledge of technical area;
- Ability to identify and analyze trends, opportunities and threats to fundraising.
Required Skills and Experience
Education and certification:
- Master’s degree or equivalent in social sciences, human rights, gender/women's studies, international development, or a related field is required;
- A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree;
- A project/programme management certification would be an added advantage.
- At least 2 years of progressively responsible work experience in development programme/project implementation, coordination, monitoring and evaluation, donor reporting and capacity building;
- Experience in the EVAW area;
- Experience coordinating and liaising with government agencies and/or donors is an asset;
- Experience in the United Nations system in an asset.
- Fluency in English and Romanian is required;
- Competence in one or more of the other minority languages relevant for Moldova, including Russian, Gagauz, Ukrainian, Bulgarian or other languages is an asset.