Finance Assistant, Multiple positions
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Background Information - BSSC
The UNOPS Bangkok Shared Service Centre (BSSC) is a Shared Services Centre (SSC) unit established for the purpose of providing internal, global, cost-effective transactional services which enhance the operational capacity of UNOPS and standardize systems and procedures. The BSSC, among other functions, carries out high-quality transactional services within the area of personnel contract administration and payroll.
Background Information - Job-specific
Under the guidance and supervision of the Senior Finance Associate, the Finance Assistant supports the provision of financial services within the support services function, ensuring high quality, accuracy and consistency of work. The Finance Assistant promotes a client-oriented approach consistent with UNOPS rules and regulations.The Finance Assistant works in close collaboration with the Programme, Project and Support Services colleagues in the local office as well as the UNOPS HQ colleagues, to exchange information and ensure consistent service delivery.
Summary of Key Functions:
▪ Implementation of operational strategies and procedures
▪ Accounting and administrative support
▪ Knowledge building and sharing
1. Ensure implementation of operational strategies and procedures, focusing on achievement of the following results:
1.1 Billing/invoicing support
- Provide support to ensure that all appropriate billing actions are taken expeditiously, in line with UNOPS rules and regulations and within appropriate procedures
- Coordinate with UN Web Buy Plus Team focal point to identify and apply incoming funds to appropriate projects
- Maintain and update the record for UN Web Buy invoices on a daily basis
- Work closely with the team to follow up on issued invoices due for collection
- Process other project refund requests prepared by Financial Reporting Team
1.2 Monitoring and Progress Controls
- Able to verify/process request for payment accurately
- Able to provide accurate invoices to clients in a timely manner
- Able to provide accurate VAT/tax reports on a quarterly bases
- Attend regular weekly/monthly meetings of the unit
- Complete all regular required training
2.1 Accounting Support
- Review and verify Request for Payments (RFP) and supporting documentation for accuracy and correctness of account code and GLA charged in UNOPS ERP system.
- HQ, AFR and ECR non-payroll/administrative payments
- Travel related payments (DSA,TE and TEC)
- Petty Cash and Prepayment
- UN invoice payments and reconciliation
- Provide support to create Request for Payment upon requisition.
- Ensure that all payments raised in ERP are in full compliance of financial process and financial records with UNOPS rules, regulations, policies and strategies.
- Collect supporting documentation and process Corporate Mastercard replenishment on a monthly basis, prepare B2B report and submit to HQ for further reconciliation
- Prepare and submit VAT reimbursement on a quarterly basis and collaborate with Account Receivable team to credit funds back to particular projects
- Prepare recurring, ad-hoc or particular financial reports as required
- Analyze reports, investigate and prepare adjustments (GLJE) as required
2.2 Other Financial Transactional Supports
- Provide support in payment reversal upon requisition received from finance colleagues on a daily basis
- Assist in providing support and responding to enquiries for payment reversal related issues
- Process local bank reconciliation, record bank charge and submit B2B report to HQ on a monthly basis
- Participation in the Finance-focused trainings.
- Contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
Experience: 2 to 3 years of relevant accounting and financial experience at national level is required. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Office 2003 and/or newer versions) and knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems.
Language Requirements: Fluency in written and oral English and the language of the duty station required. Knowledge of second UN working language desirable.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Local Individual Contractor Agreement Contract level: LICA 4
Contract duration: Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.