Programme Assistant II
Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
About UN University
For the past four decades, UNU has been a go-to think tank for impartial research on the pressing global problems of human survival, conflict prevention, development, and welfare. With more than 400 researchers in 13 countries, UNU’s work spans the full breadth of the 17 SDGs, generating policy-relevant knowledge to effect positive global change. UNU maintains more than 200 collaborations with UN agencies and leading universities and research institutions across the globe. For more information, please visit http://unu.edu.
United Nations University International Institute for Global Health (UNU-IIGH)
UNU-IIGH is one of 14 research and training centres that comprise the UNU system. As a UN think tank, the mission of UNU-IIGH is to build knowledge and capacity for decision-making by UN agencies, programmes and member states about global health issues. The aim is to contribute to the development and strengthening of health services policy frameworks and management actions, particularly for people in developing countries, and to support implementation of promotive and preventive approaches to human health. The UNU-IIGH’s research and capacity building in global health relates specifically to informing the policy debates and directions that ensure that in keeping with the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) “no one is left behind”.
We are looking for outstanding individuals with a strong commitment to customer service and the potential to bring a significant contribution to the worldwide expansion of UNU’s operations.
For more information please visit http://iigh.unu.edu
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Programme Assistant I, the successful candidate will be required to:
1.Provide administrative support to UNU-IIGH focusing on the following activities:
- arranging all of the institute’s travel (including occasionally the Director and Deputy Director’s) by processing travel requests and being the institute’s travel focal point
- under the supervision of the institute’s Finance Assistant, assist in procurement including preparing of payment vouchers
- under the supervision of the institute’s Finance Assistant, assist in the registration and maintenance of the vendor database
- assist in tracking project resources for reporting
2.Support knowledge building and knowledge sharing within UNU-IIGH and externally by:
- participating in training for the operations/academic staff of the programme
- contributing to networks and communities of practice
- assist in the logistical arrangements of events, i.e. assist in production of print materials, liaise with printers for print materials publication, translation of documents when necessary, and other relevant duties
3.Perform any other duties as may be required
Required qualifications and experience
Required qualifications and experience include:
- a bachelor‘s degree or higher in the fields of social sciences, administration, accounting, or finance
- at least two (2) years of relevant working experience in programme support/administrative work, preferably in an international environment; experience in an academic/research institution or non-profit organisation is desirable
- knowledge of United Nations administrative processes and procedures is desirable
- high level of computer literacy including MS Office software and project management software; knowledge in an enterprise resource planning (ERP) system such as ATLAS or any web-based management system is an asset
- fluency in both oral and written English is required; working knowledge of Bahasa Malaysia and/or any other United Nations official languages is an asset
- a self-starter who is able to multitask and work under minimal supervision with a high level of resilience
- results-oriented and self-motivated, with the ability to prioritise work and multitask
- good team player with strong interpersonal skills demonstrated by the ability to work in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity
UNU is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities to apply and become part of the organization.
UNU has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNU, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination.
Remuneration will be commensurate with qualifications and experience according to suitability of candidates, and will be within the GS-4 level of the General Service Salary Scale for Malaysia duty station in the United Nations Common System salary scale. For more information please visit: http://www.un.org/Depts/OHRM/salaries_allowances/salaries/malaysia.htm.
The Rector reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a level below the level advertised.
Duration of contract
This is a full time fixed-term appointment. The initial appointment shall normally be for a fixed-term of one (1) year with the likelihood of renewal on a rolling fixed-term appointment basis, subject to satisfactory performance. The mandatory age of retirement for United Nations staff is 65 years old.
Staff members of the UNU are international civil servants subject to the authority of the Rector and may be assigned to any of the activities or offices of UNU. This is a locally recruited post open for Malaysian Nationals and those with the right to work in Malaysia only.
As soon as possible.
Information about how to apply is provided below – please read carefully to ensure that any further inquiries relate to information not already provided. We recommend that applicants review the information on how to apply for jobs with the UN to assist with the submission of a competitive application.
Interested applicants should submit their applications, preferably by email (firstname.lastname@example.org), and must include the following:
- a cover letter setting out how the qualifications and experience match the requirements of the position
- a curriculum vitae
- a completed and signed UNU Personal History (P.11) form; please avoid using similar forms provided by other United Nations organisations
- the vacancy reference number: 2019/UNU/IIGH/FTA/PA/00046467
Please note, incomplete submissions will result in your application being rejected. This is a re- advertisement. Previous applicants need not re-apply
Unfortunately, due to the high volume of applications received, only short-listed candidates will be notified.
The United Nations shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. (Charter of the United Nations – Chapter 3, article 8).