Associate Settlement Officer
Under the direct supervision of UNHCR Program Officer, the UN Volunteer will undertake the following tasks:
1. Contribution to the decongestion and transformation of Dzaleka refugee camp into a socio-economic development hub and integrated service centre, over time, for the protracted case load of UNHCRs PoCs and for the centres wider host community in the self-settled rural neighbourhoods alongside the M1- Dowa settlement corridor
2. Participation in the identification, assessment of potential settlement sites and conceptual planning of alternative settlement options in line with the principles of the CRRF settlement approach and UNHCRs alternative to camp policy.
3. Contribution to the Master Plan related settlement design and best praxis principles of settlement planning, shelter design and appropriate technology support to community driven project implementation.
4. Assistance in the liaison, coordination and collaboration with GoM Sector Ministries, Local Government Sector specialists as well as with National and International development cooperation on common processes
There will be also need for the IUNV Associate Settlement Officer to further work with National and International development cooperation on common processes and strategies that facilitate inclusion of the Settlement concept in national and local development plans, provide support for social service delivery capacity in refugee hosting districts, and promote settlement and infrastructure development concepts that take into consideration the future administrative responsibilities of Local Government.
Specific activities related to task 1:
· Coordinating the stakeholder consultation process on different levels and in close partnership with Ministry of Home Affairs and Security (MoHS), specifically with DOWA’S Local Government, with MoHS, camp management, with community leaders on site, with UNHCR IPs and with the Department of Physical Planning in the Ministry of Lands, Housing and Urban Development
· Monitoring, reviewing , up-dating, and explaining the principles of the decongestion process and the detailed implementation schedule
· Approval seeking for implementation of the proposed strategic principles
· Acquiring stakeholders support for “conflict resolution” where decongestion needs demand for demolishing of build - up structures and relocation of affected residents to saver sites.
· Coordination of the ongoing development work at Katubza and at Dzaleka Hills
Specific activities related to task 2:
· Coordinating joint GoM / UNHCR assessment missions to MoHS proposed settlement locations and potential sites for implementation of the village model and and settlement approach
· Designing TORs for Cross- Sector specialists , e.g. to assess the locations environmental absorption capacity and the carrying capacity of the locations natural resource base in order to ensure a sustainable use of the resources and in consequence a peaceful co-habitation of both local residents and PoCs
· Designing the site specific principles of the land use and layout plan for the proposed village model
· Endorsing the principles of the land use and layout plan on all stake holder levels including grass roots level Physical Planning and Local Authorities
· Assist in lobbying / advocating for Local Governments inclusion of the village model and settlement project into the framework of Local Governments development plan for the period from 2019 to 2022
Specific activities related to task 3:
· Design and monitoring of weekly TOR’s for the teams monitoring and follow up of planned and ongoing shelter, infrastructure, WASH and other physical works , including design, preparation of BoQs, tender procedures, contract negotiations, monitoring of progress of works, certification of works,
· Sharing of lessons learned and coaching of principles of site planning and appropriate construction technologies for emergency response, care and maintenance and transformative upgrading of neighborhoods at risk in Dzaleka’s congested camp locations
Specific activities related to task 4:
· Assist in the regular and intense liaison and coordination with Government Ministries and specialist Departments on Central -and Local Government Level on all issues that are related to land use, settlement development physical planning standards and integrated development initiatives for refugee hosting communities
 Strategic decongestion and upgrading principles include: e.g. to design around a drainage, circulation and space expansion approach, to identify and develop of a concept of multi-use open space, to use infrastructure interventions as a means to enhance connectivity and mutual beneficiary relations with the wider host community, etc.Qualifications/Requirements Required degree level: Master degree or equivalent Education - Additional Comments:
Type of Degree: e.g. University degree or equivalent in Architecture, Settlement Planning or related field.Required experience: 24 Months Experience remark:
All expected outputs require to share intensive work and field experienced from both humanitarian and development work context, and specifically the specialist’s ability for conceptual thinking, coordination and assistance in collaboration with GoM Sector Ministries and Local Government Sector specialists. Thorough understanding of common processes and strategies that facilitate inclusion of the Settlement concept in national and local development plans.
Desirable Qualifications and Skills:
·Previous field experience and understanding the local context is an advantage;
·Completion of specific training relevant to functions of the position;
·Good knowledge of UNHCR procedures and processes is an asset.
Office Package (excellent knowledge of Word, good knowledge of Excel and Power Point) and Internet browsing.Language skills:
- English(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
Adaptability and Flexibility, Commitment and Motivation, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Communication, Integrity, Planning and Organizing, Technological Awareness, Working in Teams