OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMMEThe objective of the WHO Bangladesh Country Office is to implement the Country Cooperation Strategy by supporting the Bangladesh Government in the formulation, implementation and evaluation of national health policies, strategies and plans and developing and managing WHO's technical cooperation programmes. WHO provides guidance and technical support in organizing the humanitarian health response and in revitalizing the capacity of the health sector to rebuild and recover from emergencies in appropriate and sustainable ways. The Country Office develops a two-way collaboration with the Government of Bangladesh in support of their efforts of achieving national health goals; of ensuring the attainment of universal health coverage and of contributing to global and regional public health action by providing need-based technical assistance in national level policy formulation, setting norms and standards, improving knowledge dissemination and management, monitoring country health situation and building sustainable institutional capacity, to play a greater leadership role in different national level policy and technical forums. The overall Objective of the Administrative Unit within the Country Office is to provide core services in order to facilitate programme delivery in all aspects of Administration & Financial operations, including Budget, HR, Group Educational Activities and Staff Travel, Procurement, Security, Transport and Building and Office Management ensuring efficient and smooth functioning of the Bangladesh Country Office. The ICT Team to provide ICT services to the WHO Country Office in Bangladesh.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIESUnder the overall guidance of WHO Representative to Bangladesh, the direct supervision of the Administrative Officer, and with the guidance of the Regional ICT management team, the incumbent performs the following duties\:
1) Ensures implementation of WHO ICT strategies and introduction/implementation of new technologies focusing on achievement of the following results\:- Ensuring Compliance with corporate information management, information security policies, technology standards, guidelines and procedures for the CO technology environment.-Participate in the development and implementation of ICT annual plan and Standard Operating Procedures for ICT services.
2) In collaboration with the Regional Service desk, ensures effective functioning of the CO ICT infrastructure, focusing on the achievement of the following results\:- Ensuring effective functioning, installation, operation and maintenance of all WHO hardware equipment, including the acquisition of hardware supplies and vendor management.-Performance of specific technical functions, including changing of hardware electronic components (disks, memories, network wiring, power sources, etc.) and other routine repairs, that are not covered by any warranty.- Installation of commercial and WHO developed software and related upgrades, in-line with global policies.
3) Ensures efficient network administration, focusing on achievement of the following results\:- Monitoring of the network connectivity on a daily basis to ensure a stable and secure network environment.- Trouble-shooting and monitoring of network problems. Ensuree that WHO global managed desktop environment (Synergy) and network resources are protected from malware.- Response to user needs and questions regarding network access.- Escalation of any unsolved issue to the regional service desk and infrastructure team.- Implementation of Regional backup and restore procedures for users local drives. Maintenance of backup logs and off-site backup storage. - Maintenance of country office business continuity and disaster recovery processes and procedures including backup and restore of server(s) and local storage facilities.
4) Provides web management services, focusing on achievement of the following results\:- Support to the maintenance of the CO websites and Intranet.- Trouble-shooting and monitoring of websites
5) Provides administrative support, focusing on achievement of the following results\:- Advice and assistance on procurement of new ICT equipment for the CO and projects, ensuring compliance with global and regional technical specifications and information on best options in both local and international markets, review of quotations and bids- Maintenance of a library of ICT related reference materials- Maintenance of the ICT inventory and stock of supplies and spare parts in cooperation with the Administration and Procurement Teams. - Providing ICT support during to key WHO events.
6) Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO, focusing on achievement of the following results\:- Identification and promotion of different WHO systems and applications for optimal content management, knowledge management and sharing, and information provisionning.- Participation in the organization of training for the CO staff on ICT issues.- Maintenance of staff training profiles.- Synthesis of lessons learned and best practices in ICT.- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
7) Acts as a backup for other members of the country office ICT infrastructure Services team, and carries out any other duties relevant to the job, as required by the Supervisor.
EducationEssential\: Completion of secondary school education, supplemented by relevant courses in Information and Communication technology, such as âCertification from Microsoft System Engineer (MCSE)â.
Desirable\: Four years Bachelor degree in information technology or Bachelor degree in engineering or computer science from Government / recognized Institute.Microsoft / Cisco Certification.Professional certificate course on Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) Foundation 2011.
ExperienceEssential\: At least 8 years of progressive relevant experience, including network administration, management of hardware and software platforms, telecommunications facilities, knowledge of Windows-based packages/applications.
Desirable\: Experience in programme or programme support in UN agency, International Organization, NGO, Multinational company, Bank etc.
SkillsFormal training and experience in network management, including Working knowledge of routers and, Managed switches technology, structured cabling equipment and related circuitry. Good understanding of Transmission Control Protocol / Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and VSAT technology. Good working knowledge of system administration in a Microsoft Windows environment, installation and management of Microsoft Exchange Server, Microsoft Internet Information Server and Microsoft SharePoint server. Ability to meet deadlines, cope with constant work pressure and adapt to the changes in the technology. Proven team working skills.
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
- Producing results
- Moving forward in a changing environment
Use of Language SkillsEssential\: Expert knowledge of English. Expert knowledge of Bangla.
REMUNERATIONWHO offers staff in the General Services category an attractive remuneration package, which for the above position includes an annual net base salary starting at BDT 1,615,745 (subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance, as applicable) and 30 days of annual leave.
- This vacancy notice may be used to fill other similar positions at the same grade level
- Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
- A written test may be used as a form of screening.
- In the event that your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position. WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU)/United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link\: http\://www.whed.net/. Some professional certificates may not appear in the WHED and will require individual review.
- Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to WHO Staff Regulations, Staff Rules and Manual.
- Staff members in other duty stations are encouraged to apply.
- For information on WHO's operations please visit\: http\://www.who.int.
- WHO is committed to workforce diversity.
- WHO's workforce adheres to the WHO Values Charter and is committed to put the WHO Values into practice.
- WHO has a smoke-free environment and does not recruit smokers or users of any form of tobacco.
- This post is subject to local recruitment and will be filled by persons recruited in the local commuting area of the duty station.