IDLO IN SOMALIA
IDLO has extensive experience and a good track record of implementing successful rule of law and access to justice programs in conflict and post-conflict contexts like Somalia. Since 2012, IDLO has been working with government authorities at both the federal and state levels as well as key justice institutions and the informal justice system to enable them to fulfil their core functions, improve governance and strengthen access to justice for citizens, particularly for the most vulnerable.
IDLO has been promoting equitable access to justice for Somali citizens, including vulnerable populations, through a reformed and modernized Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) system in Somalia. Since 2018, IDLO has been supporting six ADR Centres in Puntland State and Benadir Region to improve access to justice. The opening of nine new centres is expected to take place in early 2020. Under the ADR Program, IDLO develops partnerships and works with a broad range of Government stakeholders at the Federal level, particularly the Ministry of Justice (MoJ) and the MoJ of the Federal Member States (Puntland, Jubaland, South-West, Hirshabelle and Galmudug). The Program is meant to support the Federal and State institutions in establishing and managing the Centers as well as provide training for the staff of the ADR Centers to build their capacity in the settlement of the disputes and respect of the Human Rights standards, the Constitutional provisions and National Law,
Reporting to the Field Program Manager, Somalia, the Program Associate works in close collaboration with program, administrative and finance managers to provide administrative and process assistance to program teams in order to support program delivery.
Summary of Functions:
1.Provide administrative support to the Program team and ensure process integrity;
2.Support the coordination of work and information flow between the Program unit and Operations;
3.Carry out desk research on specific topics to provide input supporting the development of new proposals.
Key results expected:
1. Provide administrative support to the Program team and ensure process integrity, including:
- Support mission preparation including preparation of Travel Request, visa, etc.;
- Assist in the on-boarding of new Programs employees, including preparing background readings;
- Ensure internal IDLO processes are followed; preparation and follow up of Travel and Payment Requests, Purchase Requisitions;
- Draft meetings minutes, including of calls with external donors/partners;
- Organize and maintain master file of program-related data and materials, program record files, technical publications, contracts, etc., available to management when requested;
- Support the implementation of consistent templates and tools across the various programs;
- Assist with translations related to the program.
2. Support the coordination of work and information focusing on the following:
- Support in processing contracts for Contractors/Consultants;
- Maintain up to date files and alert the supervisor of action needed to be taken;
- Coordinate with HR to ensure that administrative aspects of new hires are processed;
- Provide support to program development, coordinating amongst program teams and support functions;
- Coordinate the transmission of draft and narrative reports between offices/units;
- Initiate the process of obtaining signatures and approvals of documents;
- Assist in the organization of institutional and program events/courses/external visits/presentations, and coordinate with other IDLO interested departments about these.
3. Carry out desk research on specific topics to provide input supporting the development of new proposals, including:
- Concept notes, briefing notes, summary status reports, and donor narrative reports;
- Provide input into IDLO publications, communications materials, web content, etc.
Ideal Candidate Profile
Education and Work Experience
- University degree in Development, Law, or other similar field.
- 1-3 years of relevant experience providing process support to projects/programs.
- Experience working on projects related to Somalia is highly desirable, preferably on informal justice.
- Excellent written and communication skills in English and Somali is required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Familiarity with standard program and data management tools;
- Sound knowledge of the context in Somalia;
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Proficient use of other ICT and internet software;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Works well with others and actively participates. Shares information, contributes, encourages and motivates others to become involved in team activities. Provides constructive feedback and willingly helps others. Contributes to a fair environment that fosters collaboration and cooperation. Works effectively across and within IDLO organizational boundaries;
- Proven ability to see through tasks set and deliver results. The ability to work under pressure with tight deadlines, flexibility and an entrepreneurial spirit;
- Ability and willingness to travel to field locations in Somalia, if necessary;
- Keen sense of ethics, integrity, and commitment to IDLO’s mandate. Self-motivated and dynamic with a willingness and ability to use initiative to assist the organization to achieve its objectives.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
For this locally recruited position, IDLO shall offer the selected candidate an Affiliate contract of 12 months, with possibility of extension subject to performance and availability of funding.
In addition, IDLO shall offer a yearly basic salary of USD 17,000 to a level commensurate with experience and qualifications, medical insurance and leave entitlements including in accordance with IDLO Employee Regulations and Rules.
This local position is open to candidates who are nationals of the duty station, or with permanent resident status or other legal authorization permitting to work in the duty station. An employee subject to local recruitment shall not be eligible for the allowances or benefits exclusively applicable to International employees.
Applications will be screened on regular basis; a qualified applicant might be recruited before the deadline. In the interest of making most effective use of resources, only the short-listed candidates will be contacted during the selection process.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the employee assigned to this work. This is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities.
IDLO reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities or even to cancel the recruitment to meet business and organizational needs as necessary.
Please attach CV and resume only and kindly note that only short-listed applicants will be contacted.