Agribusiness Investment Support Specialist
IMPORTANT NOTICE\: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender and nationality
People with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization
The Investment Centre Division (DPI) promotes investment in food security, agriculture, rural development, natural resource management and agro-processing in developing countries and countries in transition, assisting governments and country stakeholders, main development partners, in particular international financing institutions with the strategic planning and implementation of their investments to achieve food security and nutrition, make agriculture, forestry and fisheries more sustainable and productive, reduce rural poverty, make food value chains more efficient and inclusive and promote climate change adaptation and/or mitigation.
DPI is a multidisciplinary division composed of three regionally focused services, namely Africa Service, Asia and the Pacific Service, and Europe, Central Asia, Near East, North Africa, Latin America and the Caribbean Service
In Europe, Central Asia and North Africa, DPI cooperates closely with the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD). The cooperation programme is managed by the DPIC Service and focuses on enabling responsible private sector investment in the agricultural sector. It contributes to the implementation of FAO’s Strategic Programme 4, supporting the emergence of more efficient and inclusive agriculture and food systems.
The purpose of this call is to identify qualified candidates that can contribute to the successful implementation of the FAO/EBRD cooperation, with the range of technical and operational profiles/ specializations indicated below. Proposed assignments can be home-based and entail field missions.
Requested Profiles (or Job Titles)\:
- Agribusiness and Value Chain Specialist
- Economist – Agricultural Economist
- Food Safety and Quality Specialist
- Knowledge Development Specialist
- Natural Resources (Land and Water) Specialist
- Policy and Institutional Development Specialist
- Programme/Project Support Specialist
The Consultant will work under the overall technical supervision of the Service Chief, DPIC, and the direct supervision of the Senior Economist in charge of the FAO/EBRD cooperation or DPIC Officers in charge of specific FAO/EBRD assignments, in close collaboration with the FAO Representation in the relevant country of assignment.
Provision of technical assistance in support to responsible private agricultural investment in EBRD’s countries of operation, including (i) in-depth analysis of value chains; (ii) policy facilitation fostering improved public private interactions in specific value chains; (iii) targeted technical inputs to enhance quality standards and promote a more efficient use of resources in agrifood value chains; and (iv) operational backstopping of investment support assignments, in accordance with the FAO Strategic Framework.
- Lead, participate in or provide technical and operational backstopping to multidisciplinary teams involved in the formulation and implementation of investment support projects under the FAO/EBRD cooperation;
- Lead or participate in investment support projects aiming at the facilitation of public-private policy dialogue in agrifood value chains, including interactions with government officials, development partners and private sector stakeholders, to promote the emergence of enabling investment conditions; (for Consultants only)
- Lead or participate in the review of agrifood value chains or/and national agricultural sectors at large, involving interactions with producers, their organizations, other private sector actors, civil society organizations and government representatives, and advise on the development of inclusive and sustainable supply chains;
- Lead or participate in investment support projects related to the development of value chain institutions (sector associations, inter-professional associations, working groups, agencies, etc) to address developmental constraints in selected value chains;
- Lead or participate in investment support projects related to the development of the capacities of value chain actors, both from the public and private sectors;
- Lead or participate in the formulation and implementation of investment support project related to food safety and quality in agrifood value chains, including crop and animal diseases and the development of origin-based labels;
- Lead or participate in the formulation and implementation of investment support projects related to the sustainable use of natural resources (land, water and other resources) in agrifood value chains, as well as climate change mitigation and adaptation, in the context of the FAO/EBRD cooperation;
- Perform the overall planning and monitoring of activities under the FAO/EBRD cooperation, including the preparation of contractual arrangements, timely submission of monitoring reports to DPI management and EBRD counterparts, and budget monitoring;
- Promote exchanges of knowledge and lessons learned in connection with activities under the FAO/EBRD cooperation programme, and more generally with the development of efficient and inclusive value chains;
- Perform other related duties as required.
- University degree in economics, agricultural economics, agribusiness, natural resources management, engineering, social sciences, international relations, institutional development, accounting, project management or a related field as appropriate for the specific profile
- From one to fifteen years of relevant experience in conducting value chain/agricultural sector analysis and/or supporting the planning, design, implementation of agricultural investment operations, including facilitation of policy dialogue, operational backstopping and knowledge dissemination, in developing countries and/or countries in transition
- Working knowledge of English, French or Spanish and limited knowledge of one of the other two or Arabic, Chinese, Russian (for consultants). Working knowledge of English, French, Spanish, Arabic or Russian (for PSAs).
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Extent and relevance of experience in carrying out agricultural investment support activities, including formulation and implementation of technical assistance projects supporting the investment activities of FAO’s main financial institutions partners, in particular the EBRD;
- Extent and relevance of experience in leading, or participating in, multidisciplinary teams involved in agricultural investment support projects;
- Extent and relevance of experience in conducting analytical studies and formulating technical assistance projects in line with EBRD requirements;
- Extent and relevance of experience in providing operational backstopping to agricultural investment operations;
- Demonstrated experience in dealing with government officials, development partners and private sector stakeholders;
- Relevance of experience in different geographical areas, in particular those where EBRD operates;
- Advanced technical writing skills in official UN languages;
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency