GVI – Volunteer Operations Base Manager
London (United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland)
GVI is one of the world’s leading, high-quality sustainable development and experiential education organisations. We are a social enterprise, and our mission is to build a global network of people who together can make a long-term positive impact on the world around us. We operate in 13 countries globally, employ 150+ staff and understand that the quality of us as an organisation and of our work will only ever be as high as the quality of the staff we employ. We are committed to employing, training and retaining the very best people in their chosen fields.
Given the nature of our global operations, and the fact that we have a number of different bases all over the world, we are currently recruiting for experienced, passionate managers to join us in the following exciting locations:
Chiang Mai – Thailand
Caqalai Island – Fiji
Puerto Morelos – Mexico
Jalova – Costa Rica
We hire managers from all over the world, and all of them have strengths that lie in both staff and volunteer management, as well as either community development or conservation (or a combination of both!) Our managers are responsible for the management of their communal base, which is shared with staff and volunteers, and are focused on delivering high quality programs to participants from all over the world, while working with local partners to have a long term impact in the communities they work in.
Responsibilities of the role:
- Oversee the overall day to day delivery of projects, including logistics, quality, impact, safety, and the overall effective functioning of the base
- Train, develop and manage staff members and participants
- Oversee Health and Safety protocols to ensure the safety of all participants, staff and other visitors to the hub
- Implement project monitoring, through monthly impact reporting, as well as periodic evaluation of impact
- Connect and liaise with in-country partners to build and maintain relationships
- Be the escalation point for any issues which arise at the hub, including participant complaints, medical issues, etc.
- In conjunction with central support and manager, assist with recruiting and onboarding of new staff members
- Ensure the successful implementation and delivery of all GVI marketing and internal communication initiatives
- Responsible for financial and overall reporting of the hub
- 3+ years of staff management experience
- 3+ years of volunteer management experience
- Conservation and/or education field experience
- Health and safety trained
- Experience working closely with community partners, ideally in remote locations
- Project/program management experience
- Comfortable living in a communal environment with other staff, and being available for program participants 24/7
If the above sounds like it matches your skills and ambitions to move forward with a career in sustainable development, we would love to hear from you!
Please go to Careers Abroad: http://www.careersabroad.co.uk/current-vacancies/ and click on the vacancy that suits your skill set best. Or, email email@example.com to get in touch with us directly.