Programme Specialist (Education) 1
Post Number : ED 425
Grade : P-3
Parent Sector : Education Sector (ED)
Duty Station: Paris
Job Family: Education
Type of contract : Fixed Term
Duration of contract : 2 years
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 22-MAR-2020
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
Under the overall authority of the Assistant Director-General for Education, guidance from the Director of the Division for Education 2030 Support and Coordination, and the immediate supervision of the Chief of Section, the incumbent will contribute to the design, coordination, implementation, and monitoring and reporting of projects and programmes to advance gender equality in and through education.
The incumbent will perform the following essential duties:
- Coordinate and support the Education Sector to mainstream gender equality and to undertake gender-specific interventions, aligned with the UNESCO Strategy for Gender Equality in and through Education and UNESCO’s Gender Equality Action Plan, through the development of internal guidance, support to capacity development, and the review of workplans, project documents, publications and proposals.
- Contribute to monitoring and reporting on gender-related indicators and results, including the preparation of consolidated reporting to governing bodies, donors, and partners, and the creation of communication materials that effectively present the outcomes of the UNESCO’s Education Sector’s work in this area.
- Support efforts to pursue and maintain strategic internal and external partnerships to advance gender equality in and through education, and contribute to resource mobilization by playing an active role in funding and project proposal developments, submissions and follow-up.
- Assist with the development and expansion of knowledge and evidence, documenting progress and practice to advance gender equality in access, learning and educational outcomes, and contributing to research and the development of policy recommendations for Member States.
- Provide intellectual, strategic and operational assistance with pertinent and timely responses to demands for UNESCO services and inputs on gender equality in and through education in a coordinated and complementary manner. This includes providing advice to governments, ministries, and colleagues.
- Participate in relevant internal and external networks, reference groups and fora, and assist with the organization of events, conferences and other advocacy efforts hosted by UNESCO or requiring UNESCO’s presence.
- Advanced University degree (equivalent to Masters level) in education, social sciences or other related area.
- A minimum of 4 years of professional experience in planning, development and implementation of educational programmes to advance gender equality in and through education, of which at least 2 are acquired at the international level.
- Proven experience in fundraising and resource mobilization.
- Experience in outreach activities and partnership/network building.
Skills and competencies
- Very good understanding of gender equality in UNESCO’s domains in general, as well as in the field of education in particular.
- Excellent coordination, interpersonal and negotiation skills, as well as an ability to network with a range of partners, donors and other stakeholders.
- Proven ability to draft high quality, concise documents and reports.
- Excellent presentation skills and ability to communicate effectively and persuasively.
- Ability to work in a team and to maintain effective working relationships in multi-cultural environment.
- Excellent IT skills.
- Excellent knowledge of English (written and spoken) and good knowledge of French.
- Advanced training or a concentration in gender is a strong asset
- Experience in delivering results-based programmes on gender and education.
- Country/field-level experience in programming for gender and education.
Skills and competencies
- Knowledge of the 2030 Global Agenda for Sustainable Development, its related goals (SDGs) and, in particular, SDG 4.
- Good knowledge of another UNESCO official language (Arabic, Chinese, Russian or Spanish)
An assessment exercise may be used in the evaluation of candidatesBENEFITS AND ENTITLEMENTS
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
UNESCO applies a zero tolerance policy against all forms of harassment
UNESCO is committed to promoting geographical distribution (last update) and gender equality within its Secretariat. Therefore, women candidates are strongly encouraged to apply, as well as nationals from non- and under-represented Member States. Persons with disabilities are also encouraged to apply. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.