Java Software Engineer
- Function title: Java Software Engineer
- Location: Maastricht
- Nature of the competition:Internal and external competition
- Applicable regulations:Conditions of Employment of Contract Staff at EUROCONTROL
- Generic post:Specialist (FG-IV) (16/18)
- Number of posts:1
- Duration:3 Year(s)
- Security clearance:Security vetting may be required in accordance with the relevant EUROCONTROL security provisions
- Directorate/Service:MAAS/ATM/CHG - Change Management
- Competition publication date: 18/03/2020
- Competition closing date: 22/04/2020 (23:59 Brussels time)
- Reserve list:Applicable - See details in the "Useful information" section
Within the Directorate Maastricht Upper Area Control Centre, the "Change Management" service manages programmes, projects and studies and ensures that all changes are efficiently and promptly handled, using adequate methods and procedures. Its goal is to minimise the impact of changes on the other processes.
You will perform the following tasks under the responsibility of your superior:
- analyse requirements in close collaboration with the operational experts, evaluate, identify and design innovative software solutions to satisfy business needs.
- analyse existing software source code for potential re-use.
- design and develop new software modules, and perform associated coding and testing’s activities.
- monitor and report on problem resolution, to contribute to and coordinate solution definition & implementation.
- produce complex technical documentation and specifications.
- contribute to working groups and studies/projects.
- report regularly on activities to the project team(s) and provide recommendation/advice on activities.
- be constantly on the lookout for ways to improve business practices and efficiencies and make concrete proposals.
- carry out any other related task to the main purpose of the job.
Required qualifications, experience & competencies
- Completed university studies of at least 4 years in Computer Science or an equivalent engineering domain.
- In addition to the above, minimum of 4 years relevant experience in Java software development.
- Experience with both backend and frontend software design and development.
- Experience in user interface fast prototyping and user need gathering.
- Experience with Java 8, Spring Boot and JMS.
- Experience with Angular 5 or above, and TypeScript.
- Technical documentation writing and software/subsystem testing skills.
- As an asset:
- Experience with Hibernate, Apache ActiveMQ and Apache Camel.
- Understanding of Air Traffic Management systems.
- Analytical thinking: analyses information and identifies relationships.
- Problem-solving: anticipates and solves business issues.
- Creativity and innovation: applies new approaches.
- Communication: fosters two-way communication.
- Team work: fosters team work.
- Ability to work in a multinational and multicultural environment.
- Professional conduct in line with the corporate behaviours of the Agency, i.e. result-driven, readiness to change, customer focus, integrity and team-player approach.
- The working languages of the Agency are English and French. For this particular post, thorough knowledge of English (oral and written) is required.
- Applications will be accepted from nationals of EUROCONTROL Member States only.
- At the closing date of the notice of competition, internal candidates must have completed their probationary period.
- The selected candidate will be offered a contract of 3 Year(s) pursuant to the provisions of the Conditions of Employment of Contract Staff at EUROCONTROL. The contract may be renewed. Before being established in the post, he/she will be requested to provide certified copies of his/her degrees and successfully serve a probationary period of 9 months.
- The successful candidate shall be appointed in principle at the basic grade of the advertised grades.
- In case of reserve list: Suitable candidates, however not selected to fill the post, will be placed on a reserve list for similar functions. The period of validity of reserve list is 1 year from the approval of the selection board’s recommendations.
- Information on salary and benefits can be found on the web page: http://jobs.eurocontrol.int/what-we-offer
- EUROCONTROL is committed to non-discrimination and equal opportunities. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates, irrespective of gender, age, disability, race, colour, ethnic or social origin, religion or belief, marital or parental status and sexual orientation.
In the event of equal merit, preference may be given to the applicant from to the under-represented diversity characteristics.
- Candidates should go to our Jobs website and read the tipson how to apply. Item 1 includes information on the EUROCONTROL competency models (technical & behavioural) – Candidates should refer to the behavioural competency model to know the behaviours expected for the different levels.