National Professional Officer (Programme Team Leader)
Important Notice - Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
• FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender and nationality
• People with disabilities are protected from any type of discrimination during any stage of employment, including the recruitment phase
• All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
• The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization
The Regional Office for REU is responsible for leading FAO’s response to regional priorities for food security, agriculture and rural development through the identification, planning and implementation of FAO’s priority activities in the region. It ensures a multidisciplinary approach to programmes, identifies priority areas of action for the Organization in the Region and, in collaboration with departments and divisions at Headquarters, develops, promotes and oversees FAO's strategic response to regional priorities. REU also advises on the incorporation of regional priorities into the Organization’s Programme of Work and Budget and implements approved programmes and projects in the region, monitors the level of programme implementation and draws attention to problems and deficiencies. REU develops and maintains relations with region-wide institutions including the Regional Economic Integration Organizations (REIOs). The Regional Office supports regional policy dialogue on food security, agriculture and rural development issues, facilitates the emergence of regional partnerships, and supports capacity development and resource mobilization for food security, agriculture and rural development in the region.
The position is located in Pristina.
The National Professional Officer (Programme) reports to he Field Programme Officer/Budget Holder for Kosovo.
Programme development, coordination and operational assistance based on the knowledge of the local conditions, culture, language and institutions of the country of assignment.
Effective and efficient coordination and provision of the technical and operational support of the programme and project activities
- Liaises and assists government authorities and local, national and international institutions in the areas of FAO’s activities in the country and with other UN agencies. He/she may represent FAO at inter-agency meetings as required;
- Promotes the image of FAO through advocacy of the Organization’s mandate, programmes, national priorities and activities including development and maintenance of communication tools such as website, press releases and publications, and support the implementation of FAO’s regulatory framework (Codex Alimentarius, Code of Conduct for Responsible Fisheries, Safe Use of Pesticides, etc.) in the country;
- Coordinates the collection, consolidation and maintenance of country data on food, crops, livestock, forestry and fisheries including information on external aid in FAO’s corporate systems and monitors changes in national policies affecting the agricultural sector;
- Participates in producing technical, economic and policy studies as required and developing country level development frameworks such as the Country Programming Framework (CPF) and the United Nations Development Assistance Frameworks (UNDAF);
- Participates in the identification, formulation and preparation of programme and project proposals and monitors and reviews the status of programme/project implementation to ensure that all operational activities are carried out in line with the work plan and the project document; identify inconsistencies and delays and, when necessary, proposes corrective measures to overcome operational constraints;
- Briefs, trains and supervises lower grade level programme staff regarding all aspects of the job. Ensures adherence to procedures and work requirements and accuracy and diligence of the work provided;
- Performs other duties as required.
- Leads and coordinates the implementation of the Programme on Sustainable Forest Management in Kosovo with a participatory approach;
- Reviews and updates Programme workplan, including its timeline and consistency with budget allocation in line with the results matrix;
- Coordinates and organizes the working environment and ensures adherence to workflows and administrative procedures in accordance with FAO rules and regulations;
- Drafts terms of reference for the selection and recruitment of local specialist, as required in the Programme document.
- Supervises the local programme personnel (administrative and technical) and ensures the timely accomplishment of tasks and deliverables;
- Organizes day-to-day operational activities and of the Programme (procurement of goods and services, establishment of Letters of Agreement, organization of trainings, workshops, study-tours, seminars, travels and other events);
- Ensures liaison and collaboration with the donor(s) and with institutional and non-institutional partners concerned with the Programme, including private sector, academia, civil society;
- Leads the establishment of a monitoring and evaluation system for programme activities and outputs and coordinates the implementation of programme interim evaluations;
- Leads the development and ensures wide distribution of visibility, communication and information material on the Programme, including awareness raising campaigns;
- Prepares regular briefs and updates on the Programme for FAO Management and drafts Programme progress and final narrative reports.
- National of Kosovo;
- Advanced University degree in agriculture, agricultural economics, forestry, fisheries, or any other field related to the work of the Organization;
- Two years of relevant experience in agricultural development and/or project implementation in an area of FAO's activities in the country;
- Level C of the official communication language used for FAO communication with the country (Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian or Spanish);
- Working knowledge of the local language (if not Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian or Spanish);
- Limited knowledge (Level B) of English (if the main communication language is Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish).
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable;
- Extent and relevance of experience in programme/project development and management;
- Demonstrated understanding of the purpose and functions of the technical programme, operational guidelines and project/programme management procedures, preferably those adopted by the United Nations or FAO;
- Extent and relevance of experience in the field of policy analysis relating to food and nutrition security, agriculture and rural development;
- Extent and relevance of experience in the collection of country data on food, crops, livestock, forestry and fisheries;
- Extent and relevance of experience in the identification, formulation and preparation of programme and project proposals as well as programme/project implementation, monitoring and review.