The Programme Management Unit (PMU) of the FAO-Saudi Technical Cooperation Programme (2019-2025) facilitates, coordinates and manages all technical and advisory services to be provided by FAO to the Saudi Ministry of Environment, Water and Agriculture (MoEWA). The project 'UTF/SAU/051/SAU Strengthening MoEWA's Capacity to Implement the Sustainable Rural Agricultural Development Programme' is the first project that has been approved within the framework of FAO-Saudi Technical Cooperation Programme (2019-2025). The project will provide technical and advisory assistance to the MoEWA in implementing its flagship sustainable rural agricultural development programme that has recently been approved within the context of the National Transformation Programme of the Saudi Vision 2030. The project expected results will be achieved through implementation of nine project components\: 1) Development of coffee Arabica production, processing and marketing; 2) Development of beekeeping and honey production; 3) Development of rose production and trade; 4) Development of sub-tropical fruits production, processing and marketing; 5) Strengthening capacity of small-scale fishermen and fish farmers; 6) Strengthening capacity of small-scale livestock herders; 7) Development of rain-fed cereals production; 8) Enhancing value addition from smallholdings and rural activities; and 9) Strengthening MoEWA's capacity in sustainable management of rangelands, forests and natural resources to support rural livelihoods.
The incumbent will be part of the Programme Management Unit of the FAO-Saudi Technical Cooperation Programme in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
The National Professional Officer reports directly to the FAO Programme Coordinator in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia in consultation with the Chief Technical Adviser (CTA) of the project and in collaboration with the Chief Technical Adviser of the Sustainable Rural Agricultural Development Programme
Programme development and management, coordination and operational support based on the knowledge of the local conditions, culture, language, and institutions of Saudi Arabia.
Effective and efficient management and coordination of the technical and operational support of the programme and project.
- Participates in policy dialogue and advises government authorities, local, national and international institutions in the areas of FAO's activities and liaises with other UN agencies. Represents FAO at inter-agency meetings;
- Promotes the image of FAO through advocacy of the Organization's mandate, programmes, national priorities and activities including the coordination of development and maintenance of communication tools such as website, press releases and publications, and supports the implementation of FAO's regulatory frameworks (Codex Alimentarius, Code of Conduct for Responsible Fisheries, Safe Use of Pesticides, etc.) in the country;
- Coordinates and manages the maintenance of country data on food, crops, livestock, forestry and fisheries, including information on external aid in FAO's corporate systems and monitor and communicate changes in national policies affecting the agricultural sector;
- Takes the lead in producing technical, economic and policy studies as well as developing country level development frameworks such as the Country Programming Framework (CPF) and the United Nations Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF);
- Identifies, formulates and coordinates the preparation of programme and project proposals, monitors FAO field programme implementation, ensuring that all operational activities are carried out in line with the work plan and the project document, and makes recommendations on how to improve results and increase efficiency;
- Briefs, trains and supervises lower grade level programme staff regarding all aspects of the job. Ensures adherence to procedures and work requirements and accuracy and diligence of the work provided.
- Advises and coordinates with the FAO Programme Coordinator, liaises with the PMU and the MoEWA to ensure the flow of cooperation and coordination in the planning, implementation, and monitoring of progress of the project component in accordance with the project document;
- Works in close collaboration with and ensures timely and full coordination with the 'Project Focal Points' to facilitate the implementation of the Project, prepares periodical reports, for organization of the Regional Steering Committee meetings, and acts as reporter in during the meetings, and ensure timely preparation of the Committee minutes and their distribution;
- Reviews, validates the list of identified technical experts for the project component, prepares their Terms of Reference (ToRs), supervises and guides the component technical team, consultants and the support staff to carry out their duties;
- Co-leads comprehensive sector review and diagnostic studies of fisheries industry to give direction to the sustainable development of the sector;
- Reviews and assesses gaps in current management practices and technologies, identifies and promotes sustainable and efficient best fishing management practices in small-scale capture fisheries and sets up sites for practical demonstration of improved fisheries management practices;
- Contributes to the preparation of a plan for establishment, supervises implementation and operation and maintenance of pilot fish port/landing and low-cost shore facilities for small-scale capture fisheries in the target regions;
- Reviews and contributes to the development of current vessel registration and licensing system and updates the computerized fishing vessel register in line with Saudi requirements; trains selected staff on operating and maintaining the new fishing vessel register;
- Assists in conducting a technical and administrative audit of the domestic fishing fleet, whilst distinguishing the different fleet segments;
- Contributes to the identification and introduction of best practices to reduce incidental catch of seabirds in capture fisheries in consistency with the FAO Code of Conduct for Responsible Fisheries;
- Contributes in situation analysis of existing small fishermen cooperatives and associations in the target regions and develop pilot business model for them;
- Assesses and develops a needs-based training and capacity development programme to strengthen skills of small fishermen, processors and other value chain actors;
- Co-leads establishment of small scale aquaculture incubator to encourage and support young entrepreneurs to establish and operate small fish farms;
- Assists in setting up sites for practical demonstration of improved fisheries management practices and technologies to small- scale fishers and their cooperatives;
- Co-leads and/or supervises preparation of various written project component outputs, e.g. background papers, sector reviews, technical reports, sections of reports and studies, manuals, guidelines and checklists as well as knowledge products;
- Coordinates with SRAD National Director and national stakeholders to ensure close working relations with MoEWA branches and other organisations, institutions and local authorities, to ensure timely conducting of country activities, including contractual arrangements, and informs the CTA of problems and obstacles that need attention and specific assistance;
- Provides support in the design and organization of social, qualitative and quantitative studies including but not limited to gender mainstreaming, productive family issues, entrepreneurship, internal migration and with respect to rural people and youth participation and opinion considerations;
- Ensures that SRADP investment and support components including the provision of equipment, construction water harvesting, nurseries, vet clinics, extension centers and others include fishing, contract farming and marketing facilities are timely completed.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- National of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia;
- Advanced University degree in aquaculture, fisheries management or any other related field;
- Seven years of relevant experience in fisheries management and aquaculture development and/or project management in the field of sustainable rural agricultural development;
- Working knowledge (Level C) of Arabic and limited knowledge (Level B) of English.
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable;
- Extent and relevance of experience in fisheries technical assistance projects;
- Demonstrated understanding of the purpose and functions of the technical programme, operational guidelines and project/programme management procedures, preferably those adopted by the United Nations or FAO;
- Extent and relevance of experience in the field of policy analysis relating to food and nutrition security, agriculture and rural development;
- Extent and relevance of experience in the collection of country data on food, crops, livestock, forestry and fisheries;
- Extent and relevance of experience in the identification, formulation and preparation of programme and project proposals as well as programme/project implementation, monitoring and review;
- Extent and relevance of experience in Saudi Arabia is considered a strong asset.