Under the general guidance and direct supervision of the head of office, the Programme Associate provides administrative and finance related services ensuring high quality, accuracy and consistency of work. The Programme Associate promotes a client-oriented approach consistent with UNDP rules and regulations. The Programme Associate works in close collaboration with the team in the Programme Management Office to exchange information and ensure consistent service delivery.
UNDP in Cyprus works to support the ongoing peace and confidence building process by promoting initiatives that encourage dialogue and cooperation between the communities of Cyprus. UNDP works in support of different bi-communal Technical Committees in the implementation of their confidence building measures. Through cultural heritage conservation projects, community engagement initiatives and large infrastructure and urban upgrading projects we aim to support both political peace-making and practical confidence building processes.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Support to the implementation of projects;
- Support to the Project Managers on the day to day basis;
- Business Process Quality Assurance;
- Support to the Project Managers in effective mainstreaming of gender equality
- Support to the Project Managers in administrative activities;
- Facilitation of knowledge sharing within the projects related to POPP application.
Impact of Results:
The key results have an impact on the overall performance of the projects and success in implementation of its strategies. Accurate analysis, data entry and presentation of information ensure proper programme implementation.
Support to implementation of Projects
- Assistance in preparation of contributions agreement, obtaining required clearances and recording of contributions in Atlas.
- Provides support to the management of day to day activities, with due regard to prevailing standards and best practice i.e. Prince II methodology;
- Supports the development of action plans, work plans and relevant budgets;
- Supports the coordination of the recruitment processes necessary for the implementation of the project/sector activities;
- Monitors quality of delivery of inputs provided by the consultants, beneficiaries and contracted companies and communicate findings to supervisor;
- Provides support in organization of external evaluation of the projects.
- Background research on thematic areas related to the projects;
- Assists in the preparation of new project documents;
- Maintains timetables for the Project Board meetings and provides support to organizing and holding the meetings, including the preparation and dissemination of information and follow-up;
- Assists in the preparation of Terms of Reference.
Support to Project Managers on the day to day basis
- Provides support to the Project Managers in the creation of projects in Atlas, preparation of required budget revisions, revision of project award and project status, determination of unutilized funds, operational and financial closure of projects;
- Provides support to the Project Managers in reviewing the projects’ financial reports;
- Collects and compiles, on a monthly basis, the following inputs related to project: list of the activities, expenditures and results achieved during the previous month as compared to the work plan, monthly expenditure reports and other related documents; and
- Prepares information for audit of nationally executed (NIM) projects, if applicable, supporting implementation of audit recommendations.
Business Process Quality Assurance
- Facilitate business processes followed by the Project in line with the UNDP regulations and rules, policies and the UNDP internal control framework;
- Monitors of risk issue logs ensuring that they are regularly filled in;
- Acts as project focal point for project related procurement and recruitment activities; and
- Assists in timely reporting to UNDP and donors.
Support to the Project Managers in effective mainstreaming of gender equality
- Provides effective support to the Project Managers in mainstreaming gender equality in the project implementation and makes sure that knowledge on gender equality is incorporated in the project knowledge management activities and products;
- Supports that all the data, when collecting and compiling inputs related to the projects, are gender and age disaggregated and evaluated from the gender point of view.
Support to the Project Managers in administrative activities
- Coordinates and organizes field visits, missions and conferences; participate if applicable;
- Prepare of all related background materials for discussions, correspondence and briefing sessions;
- Draft routine official documents;
- Organize meetings; takes and follows up on the minutes;
- Provision of translation in accordance with business processes as required;
- Maintenance of contacts with the stakeholders; and
- Maintenance of project files.
Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing within the Project, related to POPP application
- Organization of trainings for the project staff within the Project on POPP as well as on UNDP procedures;
- Organization of Project knowledge management activities;
- Synthesis of lessons learnt and best practices in project implementation; and
- Make contributions to relevant knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work
- Ability to persuade others to follow
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
- Ability to get things done
- Knowledge of anti-corruption concepts, principles and policies and the ability to apply in strategic and/or practical situations
Managing Documents, Correspondence and Reports
- Creates, edits and presents information (queries, reports, documents) in visually pleasing, clear and presentable formats such as tables, forms, presentations, briefing notes/books and reports using advanced word processing and presentation functions and basic database and spreadsheet software
- Edits, formats and provides inputs to correspondence, reports, documents and/or presentations using work processing, spreadsheets and databases meeting quality standards and requiring minimal correction
- Shows sound grasp of grammar, spelling and structure in the required language
- Ensures correspondence, reports and documents comply with established UN standards
- Ability to produce accurate and well documented records conforming to the required standard
Planning, Organizing and Multi-Tasking
- Organises and accurately completes multiple tasks by establishing priorities while taking into consideration special assignments, frequent interruptions, deadlines, available resources and multiple reporting relationships
- Plans, coordinates and organises workload while remaining aware of changing priorities and competing deadlines
- Demonstrates ability to quickly shift from one task to another to meet multiple support needs
- Establishes, builds and maintains effective working relationships with staff and clients to facilitate the provision of support
- Ability to perform a variety of repetitive and routine tasks and duties related to general administration support
- Ability to review data, identify and adjust discrepancies
- Good knowledge of administrative rules and regulations
- Detailed knowledge and understanding of clerical, administrative, secretarial best practices and procedures, in-depth knowledge of office software applications relating to word processing data management presentation, ATLAS, as required
- Ability to operate and maintain a variety of computerized business machines and office equipment in order to provide efficient delivery of service
- Ability to efficiently handle and share information and knowledge
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary Education
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business or Public Administration, Economics, Political Sciences and Social Sciences
Knowledge of finance management system used by UNDP is considered as an asset.
- Secondary education with 6 years of progressively responsible administrative or project experience is required at the national or international level.
- Bachelor’s degree with 3 years of progressively responsible administrative or project experience is required at the national or international level.
2. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages.
3. Knowledge of project implementation is an asset.
4. Knowledge of business process quality assurance is an asset.
5. Knowledge of web-based management systems is an asset.
- Fluency in English is required.
- Fluency in Greek is required.
- Fluency in Turkish is an asset.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.