ICT Assistant for Oecusse - Ambeno
The enclave of Oé-Cusse has the nation’s lowest basic indicators in terms of human development. Although the regional situation is gradually improving, the government, together with partner organizations such as UNDP, aims to achieve better results in basic areas of development, for example, education. In response to the country’s current educational challenges, the systemic integration of ICT has been identified as an opportunity for expanding access to learning opportunities, as well as improving the quality of teaching and learning (UNESCO 2011). Educational ICT tools can help create a more effective learning environment.
The project aims to improve primary and secondary education by providing children and young people in Oé-Cusse (Timor-Leste) region with ICT skills and knowledge to prepare them to better address the challenges and opportunities of the economy. The project recognizes the relevance of ICT education to provide practical life skills and employment linkages (secondary education). Computer and mobile based learning are not intended to be a unique educational method but rather to complement the other areas of your studies such as class/lecture scenarios.
UNDP is looking for an enthusiastic person for the position of National support specialist on ICT education.
She/he will support the Project Coordinator on the overall project implementation and development of the ICT curricula. That is, to be a specialist in education technologies and with the ability to create methodologies and innovative computer material for young people and children. The work of the Specialist will contribute to the delivery of the following outputs:
Output 1: Improved education quality in Oé-Cusse Region by promoting computer skills to 1007 children at primary school and 4370 young students attending secondary school through the implementation of laboratories for IT innovation and experimentation.
Output 2: Enhanced child and young people knowledge on financial education and environmental awareness through the development and implementation of two computer-based educative interactive games in Tetum and Portuguese language.
Under the supervision of the Project Coordinator (PC), and the Secretary for Education RAEOA & ZEESM TL, the Specialist will execute and ensure specific activities for the implementation of the Project activities. UNDP is working with the Government of Timor-Leste to support
the development of ICTs in pre-secondary and secondary education and the objective is leveraging ICT to improve education and skills in Timor-Leste in order to ensure efficient implementation of the project, UNDP is looking to recruit a person that will be responsible for administration and finance. The selected person will also support implementation of ZEESM TL Project.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Programmed Manager in close consultation with the Financial Operation Unit of the UNDP Country Office, the Administration and Finance Officer will ensure grant implementation and related activities of ICT Project are implemented in a timely manner in strict accordance with UNDP’s set rules, guidelines and procedures.
The National specialist on ICT education will have the opportunity to learn and share knowledge about UNDP policies and procedures related to HR and procurement.
Main Tasks of ICT specialist:
- Support the development of the curriculum and learning materials for the ICTs in Education project, ensuring clear linkages with the Ministry of Education approved curriculum for basic education and secondary education. The materials will be for both teachers and students. Support testing of these materials before finalization.
- Support the coordination and implementation of the project in the selected schools (15)
- Provide training and mentoring to the professor in the selected schools to ensure the implementation of the curricula.
- Provide inputs to project monitoring and reporting, including collection of baselines and end-line data on students’ learning outcomes
- Share relevant research and up-to-date information on the use of technology in education that can be used to strengthen the ICT in Education Project in Oé-Cusse
- Support preparations for and participate in the Project Management Board meetings
- Support in the cooperation with other UN agencies and partners in area of ICTs in Education as relevant
- Ensure safety and security of all computerized data, information, files and documents
- Ensure ICT teaching program reliability, working with ICT teachers to make sure that learning process are working well and properly managed.
- Provides maintenance support on all ICT Lab for sustainability of the project including maintaining hardware in the schools Computer Lab and classrooms
- Ability to manage work of a confidential nature and handle large volumes of work
- Should possess experience of client support, such as, a Help Desk or User Support Unit, planning and delivering results
- Willingness to take ownership of issue analysis and resolution efforts and committing to “doing what it takes” to resolve technical issues regardless of effort or time required.
Other: Impact of Results
The key results to be achieved by the specialist have an impact on the overall project efficiency in promoting ICT education in Oé-Cusse. Expected results:
- ICT education curriculum developed in English and Tetum
- More than 6 teachers have been trained to implement the ICT education curriculum
- Improved education quality in Oé-Cusse Region by promoting computer skills to 1007 children at primary school and 4370 young students attending secondary school through the implementation of laboratories for IT innovation and experimentation.
IV Knowledge Building and sharing:
- Participate in trainings related with administration/management and ICT education related task
- Contribute to sharing lessons learned and knowledge with the project staff or related CO staff.
Functional Competencies and Critical Success Factors:
In addition to specific tasks, the Finance and Project Manager is expected to carry out work with professional standards demonstrating the skills and behaviors as listed below.
- Providing guidance on policies and procedures.
- Time management for tasks’ deadline.
- IT skills, knowledge of office software packages.
- Ability to perform a variety of standard specialized and non-specialized tasks and work processes that are fully documented, researched, recorded and reported.
- Ability to review a variety of data identifies and adjusts discrepancies, identify and resolve operational problems.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to handle visitors, phone calls with tact and courtesy.
- Responsibility for one’s own work and actions.
- Focusing on results for the project implementation and responding positively to feedback.
- Working with energy and a positive and constructive attitude.
- Good self-control even under pressure.
- Interacting with others in a professional and respectful manner.
- Managing own time and tasks effectively and efficiently.
- Carefully checking own work in terms of accuracy and completeness.
- Highly self-motivated.
Knowledge Management and Learning:
- Sharing knowledge and experience with colleagues.
- Actively working towards continuing personal learning and applying newly acquired skills.
- Demonstrating openness to improve and ability to manage complexities.
Advocacy/Advancing a Policy-Oriented Agenda:
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for a variety of audiences for advocating UNDP’s mandate;
- Maintains a functioning network of contacts with a variety of stakeholders to promote a better understanding of UNDP’s mandate and to support advocacy efforts.
Building Strategic Partnerships:
- Maintains an established network of contacts for general information sharing and to remain up-to-date on partnership related issues;
- Analyzes and selects materials for strengthening strategic alliances with partners and stakeholders;
- Establishes and nurtures positive communication with partners.
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing:
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things;
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies and new approaches.
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise:
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position;
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks;
- Analyzes the requirements and synthesizes proposals;
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning;
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments.
Creating Visibility for UNDP/Supporting UNDP’s Capacity to Advocate:
- Promotes awareness of UNDP’s centrally to development through dissemination of information and materials;
- Maintains networks and knowledge assets for use in visibility and image activities.
Global Leadership and Advocacy for UNDP’s Goals:
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for advocacy for UNDP’s goals for a variety of audiences;
- Maintains a functioning network of contacts in the media and civil society, to promote a better understanding of UNDP’s mandate and to support advocacy efforts.
Conceptual Innovation in the Provision of Technical Expertise:
- Keeps updated in his/her area of substantive expertise;
- Identifies opportunities for conceptual innovation.
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion;
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines;
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients.
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity;
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- Self-development, initiative-taking;
- Acting as a team player and facilitating teamwork;
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively;
- Creating synergies through self-control;
- Managing conflict;
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member;
- Informed and transparent decision making.
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary education and bachelor’s degree in education science, computer science or master’s degree in relevance area as an advantage.
- At least 1 year for bachelor’s degree and 2 years for secondary education with working experience on ICT profession/IT education/IT consultancy;
- 1 experience working with ICT education in Timor Leste
- Ability to work effectively with MS office.
- Experiences will be relaxed for the skilled female candidates
- English (Very Good), Tetum (Excellent)
- Portuguese (Good)
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.