Non-Staff Service Contract: Program Assistant Zambia
Parent Sector : Field Office
Duty Station: Zambia
Job Family: Education
Type of contract : Non Staff
Level : Level 3
Duration of contract : 1 year
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 13-JUL-2020
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, ProfessionalismOVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
Under the authority of the Regional Representative and Director of the UNESCO Regional Office for Southern Africa, Harare, Zimbabwe, the Regional Advisor for Health and Education and direct supervision of the Senior National Programme Officer- Health and Education Zambia, the incumbent supports the effective and efficient implementation of the Our Rights, Our Lives, Our Future (O3 Zambia) Project by being responsible for the following obligations and duties within the authorized delegated authority;
The Finance/ Administrative Assistant works in close collaboration with the project team as well as the team in the Regional Office in Harare, Zimbabwe, for effective achievement of results, anticipating and contributing to resolving complex programme/project-related issues and information delivery. The incumbent is expected to exercise full compliance with UNESCO programming, financial, procurement and administrative rules, regulations, policies and strategies, as well as implementation of the effective internal control systems.
The incumbent, in close cooperation with the project team, under the direct guidance and supervision of the Senior National Programme Officer, will ensure the provision of financial and administrative services of the highest quality and standards to the project team, UNESCO, as well as national counterparts and clients. More specifically:
- Pro-actively contribute to day-to-day project implementation and ensure conformity to expected results and project work-plans;
- Coordinate and prepare documents necessary for the launch of procurement processes and issue contracts;
- Supervise other support staff and coordinate short-term consultants;
- Provide advice to the team on financial and administrative issues;
- Assist the Senior National Program Officer in the design of project specific material pertaining to management and financial issues in support of project implementation
- Provide support on all administrative matters concerning the project including travel plans, travel authorization, monitoring of travel budgets, hiring of consultants liaising with appropriate units
- Provide support to administrative and logistical arrangements for all meetings, workshops and courses in connection with the Project
- Establish and maintain an organized filing system for all financial and administrative related project issues
- Monitor budget expenditures and maintain a proper record of approved project budgets and their revisions;
- Ensure effective and efficient budget formulation, monitoring of project budget, compilation of financial data and provision of accurate and up-date financial information for reporting quarterly and annual expenditure
- Maintain accounting records of project financial transactions and performance for all resources by providing necessary financial information and analysis
- Ensure that all resources are adequately accounted for on regular basis, including settling of acquittals. Ensure financial Reports are supported by original receipts, invoices or payment statements and submitted to Harare UNESCO Office in a timely in order to financially close the activity.
- Ensure effective financial recording and reporting, internal controls, audit follow up and preparedness and to process financial transactions in an accurate and timely way
- Ensure all funds allocated for activities (workshops, Finance Activity Contracts, meetings etc…) are justified by a dully certified Financial regulation
- Maintain adequate administrative records and prepare monthly bank reconciliation statements Contribute to the smooth running of the office by ensuring the provision and maintenance of office equipment, inventory of physical assets
- Undertake other financial and administrative tasks as required.
- In accordance with the Work Plan coordinate and contribute to the procurement of equipment, supplies and services;
- Review procurement requests and initiate procurement procedures of office and project equipment, supplies and services in a transparent and cost effective manner
- Clear and ensure delivery of equipment and supplies procured for project;
- Draft contracts and collate supporting documentation for review by the program team in preparation of activities to be implemented
- Monitor and follow up on contracts to ensure deliverables are submitted timeously by implementing partners and or service providers as per established contracts, with alerts to relevant officers for follow-up
- Initiate payment upon satisfactory performance and/or delivery of goods or services
- Coordinate equipment maintenance and insurance as required;
- Ensure that contractual processes follow the stipulated UNESCO procedures;
- Support project officers in review of contract deliverables
- Participate in briefing meetings with consultants on expected consultancy deliverables
- Support the planning, organization and implementation of workshops, seminars and meetings
- Liaison between project office and implementing partners
- Prepare reports on workshops, seminars and meetings
- First degree in business administration or other related field.
- Advanced degree in programme management or relevant field an added advantage
- At least five years of experience in administrative /finance work is required;
- At least five years of previous experience in development assistance or related work is compulsory. Previous experience with UNESCO is a very strong advantage;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling web-based management systems.
- Budget skills and experience assisting programme management
Fluency in EnglishDESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Skill / Competencies
- Confident, assertive communicator who can work with diverse groups of people
- Attention to detail
- Able to prioritize work and manage deadlines
- Planning and time management- meets deadlines
- Reflective and open to learn
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.Footer
UNESCO applies a zero tolerance policy against all forms of harassment.
UNESCO is committed to achieve and sustain gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities, as well as nationals from non-and under-represented Member States (last update here) are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.