National Project Coordinator
Dar es Salaam (Tanzania)
Globally there has been a rising risk of Violent Extremism (VE), which has a direct negative impact on peace, security and sustainable development. In 2016 the UN Secretary General presented a Plan of Action to Prevent Violent Extremism to the UN General Assembly that provides a framework to tackle violent extremism through preventive measures addressing the drivers. The Plan calls for national and regional Prevention of Violent Extremism (PVE) action plans and encourages member states to align their development policies with the Sustainable Development Goals, many of which are critical to addressing global drivers of violent extremism and enhancing community resilience. In particular, Goal 16 on the promotion of peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development. In support of this developmental approach, UNDP is implementing a project, “Preventing and Responding to Violent Extremism in Tanzania”, whose main objective is to support a preventive and developmental national effort for preventing and responding to violent extremism. The main counterpart of the project is the National Counter Terrorism Centre (NCTC), which is responsible for coordination on PVE work in Tanzania, as well as preparation of the envisaged National Strategy and Action Plan. The project also involves relevant Government line Ministries, the Revolutionary Government of Zanzibar, the Tanzania Police Force, faith based organizations, civil society organizations and other UN agencies.
The indicative outputs of the project are:
National policy framework and intervention capacities strengthened to address the phenomenon of violent extremism
Improved interaction between security providers and local population in target areas
Increased livelihood opportunities for “at risk” youth in target areas
Responsible, quality and conflict sensitive news reporting supported, and public awareness and dialogue around violent extremism promoted
Community resilience to violent extremism strengthened
Understanding of violent extremism in Tanzania improved, better managed, and applied to prevention and response efforts
Gender and women’s active participation across all efforts to prevent and respond to extreme violence promoted in Tanzania.
The project is divided into two phases: a first phase focused on research, support to the inclusive preparation of a National Strategy and Action Plan, and the implementation of pilot projects in Zanzibar, Mwanza, Tanga, Pwani, Lindi and Mtwara. The second phase is dedicated to support implementation of the National Strategy and Action Plan once approved and adopted by relevant authorities.
Duties and Responsibilities
Function/Key Results Expected
- Delivery and reporting of project results;
- Coordination and collaboration with stakeholders;
- Analysis of situational factors;
Under the overall supervision of the Head of Programme and the strategic guidance of the Technical Specialist, the National Project Coordinator will be responsible for:
- Ensuring delivery and reporting of project results; promoting effective and efficient management of the project through result-based work plans, progress reporting, audits, monitoring and evaluation process;
- Strengthening coordination and collaboration with stakeholders; participating in resource mobilization and sustaining strategic engagement and partnership with development partners and donors;
- Regular analysis of situational factors driving violent extremism and radicalization; development of knowledge products; and supervision, coordination and leadership responsibilities over field staff and the project support team assigned to the project;
- The National Project Coordinator is accountable and responsible for the day-to-day management of the project and oversees its implementation process according to the Project Document and approved Project Work Plans;
- Supports the project implementation process with relevant stakeholders such as the National Counter Terrorism Centre (NCTC), Government entities,, CSO’s, Academic institutions, donors and partners as necessary in order to ensure the coherence of the project;
- Provides technical support for strategic planning and decision-making in project implementation;
- Ensures the preparation and submission of high quality annual work plans, prepares results framework for each output and establishes performance and results reporting;
- Ensures the establishment and regular monitoring of the project M&E framework, risk log, issues log, and quality log; and ensures preparation of audits, annual reviews, mid-term and final evaluations;
- Ensures the mainstreaming of relevant issues such as Gender, Human Rights etc;
- Supervises and organizes the Project Support and field teams for effective and efficient realization of project outputs;
- Oversees project procurement, finance, and human resource matters;
- Ensures the compliance of project implementation with UNDP rules, regulations and policies;
- Coordinates and collaborates with other UN agencies, as well as other responsible partners under the project to link and harmonize approaches and promote innovations and lessons in achievements of common results
- Participates in resource mobilization and sustaining strategic engagement and partnership with development partners and donors;
- Develops and strengthens links with local, regional and international partners to promote the activities;
- Undertakes any other responsibilities as may be assigned.
Impact of Results
- Enhanced preventive and developmental national efforts for preventing and responding to violent extremism.
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of the project;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly and without favouritism;
- Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting
- Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Promotes a learning environment; facilitates the development of individual and team competencies.
- Experience as a project coordinator;
- Experience in the field of prevention of violent extremism, peacebuilding/conflict prevention;
- Track record of building good working relationships with government counterparts;
- Demonstrable understanding of the gender aspects of violent extremism through programming or research;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to operate and deliver in a complex and multicultural environment;
- Good knowledge and understanding of the UN, its values, priority goals and systems and procedures will be a definitive asset.
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience and contributes to UNDP Practice Areas and actively works towards continuing personal learning and development;
- Promotes knowledge management in UNDP and a learning environment in the office through mentoring and personal examples;
- Promotes knowledge building and sharing with regards to management and operations, organization of project staff trainings, synthesis of lessons learnt/best practices and sound contributions to UNDP knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting;
- Ability to go beyond established procedures and models, propose new approaches which expand the range of programmes;
- Ability to apply theory to the specific context.
Management and Leadership
- Focuses on impact and result and responds positively to critical feedback;
- Leads teams effectively and shows conflict resolution skills;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Demonstrates strong writing, facilitation, and presentation skills;
- Builds strong relationships and networks with clients and external actors;
- Negotiation skills: capacity to work with diverse partners including government, donors and civil society;
- Remains calm, in control and good humoured even under pressure.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree in relevant academic field such as conflict management, security studies, peace building, political science, international relations or social sciences.
- At least 7 years of increasingly responsible working experience in the area of project management/coordination. Experience with UN agencies an advantage;
- Experience in preventing violent extremism, de-radicalization, peacebuilding/ conflict management
- High level of familiarity with UNDP/UN and/or Government management/ financial procedures;
- Demonstrated abilities and contribution to policy formulation, resource mobilization, team building, team leadership and management;
- Experience in establishing and maintaining inter-organizational partnerships and networks at operational level;
- Computer literacy in Microsoft Office and social media applications.
- Fluent written and spoken English and Kiswahili essential.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.