Team Leader - WASH
Team Leader - WASH
Duty Station [Hajjah]
Who are we?
The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfillment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956, and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
DRC has been operating in the Middle East (ME) region for over a decade, running a combination of emergency, livelihood, protection and advocacy programmes through Country Offices (COs) in Yemen, Syria, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon and Turkey with a Regional Office (RO) in Amman.
DRC Yemen’s response
Throughout its nine field offices and a workforce of 450 staff, DRC upholds its main programmatic objectives to provide immediate and life sustaining assistance, to strengthen the protective environment, and to reduce displacement related risks and vulnerabilities by promoting self-reliance at household and community level.
About the job
DRC Yemen is seeking an experienced WASH Team Leader at Hajja Governorate to coordinate WASH activities. It is a key DRC position, with DRC expecting that the post holder with be qualified and possess WASH and civil engineering skills, knowledge and attitude to be immediately effective in the field. These include the active involvement and the full participation by all authorities and community leaders/members, paying special attention to women and girls. The WASH TL will be responsible for high quality and smooth implementation for WASH interventions/projects.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Co-ordinate and work with government authorities, local government institutions, non-governmental organizations, community-based organizations and local communities in order to ensure the smooth execution of projects’ activities.
- Ensure the buy-in and participation of local communities in projects’ activities.
- Participate in coordination meetings and share information with external stakeholders as appropriate.
Implementation of projects:
- Oversee the design and implementation of related surveys and other data collection activities.
- Supervise technical assessments of project’s to determine options and select best solutions based on technical, cost criteria and community priorities.
- Develop/Review BoQs and drawings and procure technical services in line with DRC contracting procedures.
- With the MEAL team, develop and implement mechanisms to monitor projects performance, in consultation with local stakeholders, against work plans and project targets.
Leadership and technical support tasks:
- Identify and prepare ToRs and contracts for technical consultants, as needed.
- Provide technical support and capacity building for the team members at field level.
- Follow-up projects budget, including monthly review of expenditures, ensuring that funds are used for approved purposes and in accordance with DRC requirements.
- Monitor/supervise technical interventions to ensure they are implemented according to agreed standards and within budget / take appropriate remedial action if/when these standards are not being met.
- Ensure that the projects are implemented in accordance with DRC and donor policies and procedures.
- Prepare regular and ad hoc reports, as needed, and attend DRC regular meetings.
- Ensure staff compliance with DRC’s Code of Conduct and humanitarian accountability requirements.
- Liaise regularly with partners and represent DRC in sub-cluster and partners’ meetings.
- Contribute to proposal writing and donor reporting.
To be successful in this role you must have:
- At least 5 years of direct experience in WASH projects.
- Solid planning, budgeting, coordination, M&E and computer skills.
- Solid team leading skills
- Excellent social/diplomacy skills
- Self-motivated and able to work with a minimum of guidance.
- INGO experience preferred.
Moreover we also expect the following:
- University degree in civil engineering or relevant field.
- Fluent English language (read, written and spoken)
- Excellent report writing skills including editing the work of others.
- Fluency in Arabic language (written and spoken)
- DRC different sectors.
- WASH Cluster and its partners.
- Local authorities and community leaders.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
DRC will offer the successful applicant a contract ends in 31 December 2020, renewable dependent on both funding and performance. You must be available to start work As soon as possible, and be willing and able to work in Hajjah.
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment. This position will be placed at Band (G Manager).
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the apply button or the link below.
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in the same language as this vacancy note. CV only applications will not be considered.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close on 10th July 2020. The interviews are expected to take place in the first week after the Closing date.
Need further information?
For more details on this position, please contact email@example.com.
Please note that applications sent directly to [firstname.lastname@example.org] will not be considered.
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website www.drc.ngo