Procurement & Admin Analyst
Colombo (Sri Lanka)
UNDP in Sri Lanka is reorganizing internally and moving to an integrated collaborative business model. Internally, an energetic and innovative team will converge around the planning, design, implementation and quality assurance of an integrated programme in a fast-paced environment. Fostering strategic partnership and alliances with different stakeholders will require a team which consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude and has a strong client orientation. Strong UN partnerships are valued for Delivering Together in a true spirit of collaboration and teamwork.
Under the guidance of the Integrated Services Team Leader, the Procurement and Administrative Analyst provides leadership in execution of Procurement and Administrative services in Sri Lanka´s Country Office ensuring their effectiveness, transparency and integrity. The Analyst seeks to continuously improve existing processes in Services of Sri Lanka’s evolving programme direction and requirements including Services to other UN agencies. Demonstrating a full awareness of programme priorities and as appreciation for client needs, the Analyst advises management on process improvement opportunities, compliance requirements in Services of timely delivery and accountability.
Under the overall guidance of DRR and direct supervision of the Integrated Services Team Leader the Procurement & Administrative Analyst ensures effective delivery of procurement and administrative services He/she analyzes and interprets the rules and regulations and provides solutions to complex issues related to procurement. The Procurement and Administrative Analyst promotes a collaborative, client-focused, quality and results-oriented approach in the Unit.
The Procurement and Administrative Analyst works in close collaboration with the Management Services, Operations, Programme and project teams in the CO, other UN agencies, UNDP HQs staff to successfully deliver procurement services.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
- Inputs to elaboration and implementation of operational strategies
- Management of procurement processes
- Ensures provision of efficient administrative, logistics services and supervision of administrative services unit to ensure implementation of sourcing strategy and e procurement tools.
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing
Provides analytical inputs to elaboration and implementation of operational strategies focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of procurement activities with UN/UNDP rules, regulations, policies and strategies; implementation of the effective internal control, analysis of parameters in Services of proper design and functioning of a client-oriented procurement management system.
- CO Procurement business processes mapping and elaboration/establishment of internal Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in Procurement and Administration, control of the workflows in the Procurement/ Admin Unit in coordination with supervisor.
- Analysis and proposals on cost saving and reduction strategies in the CO.
- Analysis and proposals on elaboration of contract strategy, sourcing strategy, quality management, supplier selection, improvement of procurement processes in the CO.
Services management of procurement processes for CO, NEX/DEX projects, UN House and at the request of other Agencies focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Analysis of information for preparation of procurement plans for the office and projects and monitoring of their implementation.
- Implementation of proper monitoring and control of procurement processes including organization of RFQ, ITB or RFP, receipt of quotations, bids or proposals, their evaluation, negotiation of certain conditions of contracts in full compliance with UNDP rules and regulation.
- Preliminary review of submissions to the Contract, Asset and Procurement Committee (CAP) and Advisory Committee on Procurement (ACP).
- Implementation of the internal control system which ensures that Purchase orders are duly prepared and dispatched. Follow up on timely corrective actions on POs with budget check errors and other problems.
- Elaboration of proposals and implementation of the procurement processes monitoring system and mechanisms to eliminate deficiencies in procurement.
- Implementation of harmonized procurement services and elaboration of proposals/ analysis of requirements on common services expansion in the UN House, introduction of joint procurement for the UN Agencies in line with the UN reform.
Ensures provision of efficient administrative and logistic services and supervision of Administrative Services Unit and ensure implementation of Sourcing strategy and e procurement tools, through:
- Development and management of the rosters of suppliers, consultants, elaboration of supplier selection and evaluation criteria, quality and performance measurement mechanisms.
- Implementation of e-procurement module.
- Efficient and effective management document management, electronic filing and travel.
- Liaison with Ministry of Foreign Affairs to ensure required protocol services are available to UNDP and International Staff members.
- Coordinate Services for managing country events as well as visit of high level UN officials to SL with appropriate authorities in SL.
Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Participation in the organization of training for the operations/ projects staff on Procurement.
- Synthesis of lessons learned and best practices in Procurement.
- Contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Impact of Results
- The key results have an impact on the overall CO efficiency in procurement management and success in introduction and implementation of operational strategies. Accurate, thoroughly researched information, timely and appropriate delivery of services ensure client satisfaction and overall timely delivery of UNDP programmes and projects.
Building Strategic Partnerships
Level 1.2: Maintaining a network of contacts
- Analyzes and selects materials for strengthening strategic alliances with partners and stakeholders
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
Level 1.2: Basic research and analysis
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies and new approaches
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Level 1.2: Fundamental knowledge of own discipline
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position
- Analyzes the requirements and synthesizes proposals
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
Promoting Organizational Change and Development
Level 1.2: Basic research and analysis
- Researches and documents ‘best practices’ in organizational change and development within and outside the UN system
Design and Implementation of Management Systems
Level 1.2: Research and analysis and making recommendations on management systems
- Maintains information/databases on system design features
- Develops simple system components
Level 1.2: Establishing effective client relationships
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients
- Actively Servicess the interests of the client by making choices and setting priorities to meet their needs
Promoting Accountability and Results-Based Management
Level 1.2: Basic monitoring
- Gathers, analyzes and disseminates information on best practice in accountability and results-based management systems
- Monitors the implementation of corporate accountability and results-based management systems and makes recommendations to enhance performance of business units
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making
- Ability to mainstream Gender perspectives into Procurement/ Admin operations
- UNDP Procurement Certification Programme
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in Business Administration, Public Administration, Finance, Economics or related field.
- Up to 2 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in procurement management. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of web based management systems
- Bachelor’s degree equivalent in Business Administration, Public Administration, Finance, Economics or related field.
- Two (2) years of relevant experience at the national or international level in procurement management. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of web based management systems
- Fluency in the UN and national language of the duty station
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.