Roster for IT Operations Assistant, Contract (equivalent SC/SSA level 4)
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promote diversity and gender balance.
WHAT WE OFFER: Should you be selected; you will be placed in the Roster for a period of two years and as the need arise, you may be considered for a similar future position / temporary contract. Interested candidates must be willing to work in shifts, including morning, night and weekend shifts (24/7). Please note that no additional relocation package will be provided for this position.
WORKPLACE: WFP IT Service Centre in New Delhi/Gurugram, India
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the world's largest humanitarian agency, fighting hunger worldwide. WFP Technology Division (TEC, formerly known as IT) is the digital business engine of the World Food Programme, providing the business with multi-pronged and resilient technical capabilities able to respond with the agility required in humanitarian operations, be they manmade or in a natural disaster setting. TEC Division continues to increase its activities to meet the constantly growing demand from the organization and implement the initiatives related to digital transformation. The Service Management branch (TECM) is a cornerstone of the WFP plan aimed at establishing, integrating, and mainstreaming the core elements of end-to-end digital business processes. Excellence in customer service, is the foundational pillar of the digital transformation. Part of the TECM is the Technology Service Centre, which enables efficient IT operations by supporting users and IT Staff worldwide, managing corporate workplace applications, implement enhancements that adapt to changes in the operational landscape and enable seamless communication and collaboration.
The IT Operations Assistant will work under supervision of Shift Lead/Network Coordinator to manage customer queries coming to the Service Centre. You will act as the first level for handling assigned IT incidents and service requests, utilizing standard procedures to resolve issues. You will also support in identifying IT patterns, improvements and documentation of issue severity, proactively escalating them to your senior colleagues/supervisors in order to identify root causes and permanent resolutions.Your work may involve high capacity/volume of tasks with quality focused deliverables. During the rollout of new technologies in WFP offices, you will be escalating issues to senior colleagues/focal points at the Service Centre, working with Field IT Staff and users during the deployment and subsequent troubleshooting, naturally multitasking to achieve customer delight.
- Basic monitoring of IT/Network requests using the corporate Global Service Management Tool;
- Review Service Requests and Incidents under supervision of more senior colleagues, preparing detailed summaries of findings and recommendations;
- Troubleshoot basic issues and provide first level support to internal and external customers;
- On-boarding new employees to WFP by setting-up and deploying IT hardware, explaining the corporate tools in use etc.;
- Collect and document procedures to build a comprehensive Knowledge Management repository;
- Respond to basic Network/IT-related queries to support the correct application of technology, escalating to other support teams as appropriate, providing a timely and accurate service to customers;
- Assist senior colleagues during the identification of patterns and major incidents, reporting those to the supervisor;
- Under the guidance of the supervisor, rollout new network devices by setting-up and deploying the hardware, providing support, access to systems, explaining the network hardware in use etc.;
- Flag cases in which information is outdated or inaccurate within inventories, databases, websites and archives to senior colleagues, in order to support senior officers in managing these systems;
- Follow set emergency response processes and procedures as required to provide support in enabling emergency food assistance needs to be met;
- Support Digital Assistance Services and Beneficiary Registration Systems;
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Completion of Secondary School Education.
- Availability of relevant technical certifications and/or a university degree is an advantage.
- Fluency in oral and written English. Intermediate knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian and Spanish) or Portuguese (one of WFP’s working languages) is desirable.
Standard Experience: At least three years of post-secondary school working experience in a similar position resolving level 1 IT issues, in a large Organisation.
Desirable additional experience:
- Previous working experience in a multicultural environment
- Working in ITIL and Agile driven Organisations.
- Microsoft Active Directory;
- Microsoft Office 365;
- Microsoft Windows Operating Systems (Computer and Servers);
- Microsoft Enterprise Mobility and Security;
- Mac computers;
- Firewalls’ configuration;
- Network Routing, Switching and Security;
- DNS, DHCP.
- Ability to provide excellent first level support to users requesting help with software, hardware, telephones, printers;
- Ability to identify support patterns, escalating those in a timely manner;
- Knowledge of ITIL Incident, Request, Change Management concepts is desirable; Certifications in ITIL, Agile, Microsoft Products (Office 365, Windows Operating Systems), Network (e.g. CISCO, Fortinet) IT Security are considered an asset.
- Excellent Communication skills to support users worldwide;
- Ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds;
- Client orientation;
- Ability to prioritise;
- Problem Solving
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Helps teammates articulate WFP’s Strategic Objectives.
- Be a force for positive change: Suggests potential improvements to team’s work processes to supervisor.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Explains the impact of WFP activities in beneficiary communities to teammates.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Articulates how own unit’s responsibilities will serve WFP’s mission.
- Look for ways to strengthen people's skills: Trains junior teammates on new skills and capabilities.
- Create an inclusive culture: Seeks opportunities to work with people from different backgrounds.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Serves as a peer coach for colleagues in same area of work.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Tracks progress toward goals and shares this information on a regular basis with supervisor.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Explores ways to consistently be more efficient and accurate in own areas of work and shares new methods of work with colleagues.
- Focus on getting results: Focuses on getting results and tracks trends in completion rates for own tasks to identify opportunities for efficiency.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Takes responsibility for own tasks and notifies supervisor as soon as possible of potential delays in meeting deadlines or commitments.
- Be Decisive: Independently decides what action to take when faced with critical choices in the workplace or in dangerous situations in the field.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Suggests opportunities for partnering with other units to supervisor.
- Build strong external partnerships: Identifies opportunities to work with colleagues and partners in the field towards common goals.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Develops an understanding of the value of WFP’s teams and external partners in fulfilling team’s goals and objectives.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Aligns own activities with supervisor’s priorities to fulfill internal and external partner needs.
|Capability Name||Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level|
|Governance, Strategy and Architecture||Demonstrates awareness of overall IT governance structure and system architecture development to support the process and assist in design of interaction between systems|
|Change Implementation, Project management, Planning and Optimization||Has basic understanding of project management principles to provide basic estimates on timing, resource utilisation and costs to facilitate the project planning process.|
|Technical Expertise||Understands technical aspects of own job and applies them in a thorough and systematic manner to analyze customer’s technical issues and offer value adding advice and/or solutions.|
|Service Management||Understands and follows the established standards and protocols for service excellence within own domain to maintain quality of delivery and high levels of customer satisfaction.|
|Client Management||Demonstrates working understanding of existing hardware, software, servers and network management to resolve users’ routine problems using WFP’s established processes and tools.|
|Procurement and Contract Management||Assists in the technology selection process by collating information on vendors and/or products for evaluation against criteria.|
WFP offers a competitive compensation package which will be determined by the contract type (equivalent level 4).
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted to appear for the screening process. Written test will be used as a mode of screening. In the event your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide scanned copy of education documents as per the requirement of this roster vacancy.
Please visit the following websites for detailed information on working with WFP.
http://www.wfp.org Click on: “Our work” and “Countries” to learn more about WFP’s operations.
Deadline for Applications : 21st July 2020
Go to: https://www.wfp.org/careers/job-openings , select the vacancy number Or
Step 1: Register and create your online CV.
Step 2: Click on “Description” to read the position requirements and “Apply” to submit your application.
NOTE: You must complete Step 1 and 2 for your application to be considered for this vacancy.
Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.
Fighting Hunger Worldwide