Civil Engineer PPRD SOUTH WEST - BUEA
The crisis that affected the North West and South West regions of Cameroon has damaged public infrastructures, broken social cohesion and slowed down economic development. With the aim to resolve the crisis, the President of the Republic called for a Major National Dialogue, that brought together more than 600 participants from all 10 regions of the country. Third quarter of participants to the Dialogue came from the NWSW regions. The Head of State instructed the Prime Minister, Head of the Government to preside over the Major National Dialogue. Among other recommendations, the Major National Dialogue recommended the reconstruction of North West and South West regions.
The Government of Cameroon and UNDP collaborated to the formulation of the Presidential Plan for Reconstruction and Development (PPRD) of the North West and South West regions. The PPRD is a component of the National Development Plan 2020-2030 (post DSCE), aiming at reducing the effects of the socio-political and security crisis for the affected communities in the NW/SW regions. The PPRD feeds into the government efforts to resolve the current crisis. This initiative is complementary to other key reforms such as the establishment of a Special Status for the NW/SW regions.
Confronted with complex development challenges, the Government intends to emphasize on governance, economic recovery and crisis prevention in order to consolidate the peace process. Through the PPRD, the government aims at reinforcing the resilience and development of the populations in the affected regions of North West and South West. The Government envisages to restore social cohesion, provide livelihood opportunities and increase access to basic services for communities in the NW/SW regions. Finally, through the PPRD, the Government ambitions to bring about short and medium terms transformational changes.
The United Nations Development Programme is the implementing partner and fund manager of the PPRD. The program will be implemented through a dedicated accelerated execution modality over a period of 2 years. UNDP will build on its extensive experience to implement similar Recovery and Reconstruction large programs. The PPRD will consolidate peace in the NW/SW regions, by building capacity at national and local levels to address the underlying structural causes of vulnerability, marginalization and insecurity. To this end, the PPRD is articulated around 3 key pillars: social cohesion, rehabilitation of infrastructures for basic services and local economic revitalization.
In order to contribute to the implementation of the PPRD, UNDP Cameroon is looking for an individual to act as the Civil Engineer of the Programme.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Deputy Resident Representative and the PPRD Project Manager (PPRDPM), the Civil Engineer will be based in Buea and will assist the PPRDPM in the day-to-day management of the Programme activities.
He or she will be responsible for ensuring the following results:
- Estimates of construction/rehabilitation projects are carried out in each area of intervention;
- Tender documents are developed, published and service providers are selected in accordance with UNDP criteria and standards;
- Construction and other related issue works implemented by service providers are carried out within the time limits in accordance with the specifications established in the service contracts;
In order to achieve his or her results, he or she will be specifically responsible for the following tasks:
- Conducting field surveys in all areas covered by the PPRD programme;
- Drafting tender documents and participating in the selection process of service providers;
- Sensitizing the service providers to the use of local labour in collaboration with the regional Coordinator;
- Ensuring the monitoring and control of construction works;
- If necessary, providing technical advice to the service providers for the proper implementation of the construction sites;
- Ensuring compliance with the technical specifications as established in the contracts;
- Monitor the partial acceptance of the work in accordance with the payment instalments provided for;
- Keep the DRR and the project coordinator informed of the progress of the work;
- Draw up reports on the progress of the work before the payment instalments are made;
- Follow the deadlines set out in the timetables;
- Contribute to the design and implementation of the activities included in the work plan established by the project coordinator, and ensure that the established deadlines are met;
- Carry out any other task entrusted to him/her by the DRR and the project manager or the UNDP Resident Representative in the context of achieving the results of the PPRD programme.
Impact of Results
The key result of the PPRDCE will have a strong impact in implementing the programme and delivering results.
Representation and advocacy
Management and Leadership
Required Skills and Experience
- Practical experience of at least five (05) years in the conduct of works, civil engineering design, study and execution of construction/rehabilitation projects, monitoring and execution of works, dimensioning and execution of major works, etc.;
- Have participated in at least one (02) of the studies: (design, calculation of structures, etc.)
- Have proven experience in civil engineering activities in Cameroon and specifically in the NW/SW region;
- Have a good knowledge of UNDP and its interventions in the NW/SW regions;
- Be fully available during the execution of the contract;
- Have a good capacity for synthesis and writing;
- Have an ability to work independently;
- Have carried out similar activities in the SW/NW regions (strong asset).
· Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
· Capacity to work under pressure, manage stress and adapt to rapidly evolving situations;
- Ability to use computers and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages (MS Word, Excel, etc…)