Project Manager, EU FSM Sustainable Energy & Accompaning Measures
- Pohnpei-based position
- Attractive expatriate package
- Join the principal development organisation in the region
The Pacific Community (SPC) is the principal scientific and technical organisation in the Pacific region, supporting development since 1947. We are an international development organisation owned and governed by our 26 country and territory members. In pursuit of sustainable development to benefit Pacific people, our unique organisation works across more than 25 sectors. We are known for our knowledge and innovation in such areas as fisheries science, public health surveillance, geoscience, and conservation of plant genetic resources for food and agriculture.
The Micronesia Regional Office (MRO), situated in Kolonia, Pohnpei, Federated States of Micronesia (FSM), is the main hub for SPC's projects and partnerships with the Micronesian members of the Federated States of Micronesia, the Republic of the Marshall Islands (RMI), the Republic of Palau, and the U.S. territories of the Commonwealth of Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI), and Guam.
The role – the Project Manager, EU-FSM Sustainable Energy and Accompanying Measures for the Federated States of Micronesia (EU-FSM SEAM Project) will primarily be responsible for the overall project management and delivery of the European Union (EU) Sustainable Energy and Accompanying Measures Project for the FSM under thematic Area 2. The overall objective is to improve the FSM population’s access to affordable, reliable and environmentally sound energy services and benefit from transparent and efficient management of public funds. The specific objective of this contribution agreement is to increase access to renewable electricity and support private sector investment in energy efficiency and renewable energy. The activities targeted under this contribution agreement will assist FSM to reduce its GHG emissions, contribute to achieving nationally endorsed commitments, and increase energy security at the national and state level in a sustainable manner. The activities will also adopt a gender-sensitive and rights-based approach throughout. Specifically, SPC work includes project management, procurement, team coordination, performance and reporting, risk management and the provision of high-level advice to the FSM national government, the semi-autonomous states of Chuuk, Kosrae, Pohnpei and Yap, state power utilities and other partners.
The Project Manager will lead project team members and work closely with selected SPC technical division staff, regional, national and local development partners and FSM national, state, and municipal counterparts. A significant amount of the work is focused on Chuuk, working closely with the Chuuk Power Utility Corporation (CPUC) and Chuuk State Government. Strategic leadership and relationship development are critical to this role. This position is based in Pohnpei, FSM.
The key responsibilities of the role include the following:
- Overall management and delivery of the EU-FSM SEAM project
Strategic leadership of the project at all levels, and development of close, strong working relationships with key stakeholder organisations, donors:
- Preparation of overall and annual project work plans, procurement plan, gender integration plans, communication plans, risk strategies, exit and closure strategies
- Overall responsibility for monitoring and evaluation of project’s implementation
- Establishment, staffing, and supervision of the Project Management Team and project implementation arrangements; and of arrangements for short term technical assistance
- Coordination and management of all funded services, supplies and equipment in accordance with procurement requirements of the SPC, donor and project beneficiaries
- Day-to-day management, implementation and coordination of all project activities; and ensuring project objectives are realised in accordance with the EU contribution agreement and the operational policies and procedures of SPC, and project beneficiaries
- Preparation and timely submission of progress and annual reports and work plans for the EU and government
- Development and presentation of reports and briefings to senior government officials, SPC management, and donor representatives
- Provision of high-level technical advice and efficient project implementation for project beneficiaries, partners and SPC on the implementation of the EU-FSM SEAM project
Increasing awareness, knowledge and skills of participating governments, partners and donors to enable the FSM population to utilize affordable, reliable and environmentally sound energy services through:
- Provision of high level technical and administrative advice to the funding partner on the design of specific components of the project
- Provision of specific technical advice to the FSM and the States on proposed SEAM project activities
- Collaboration with development partners throughout the project and development of specific partnerships to jointly implement aspects of the project where mutually beneficial
- Facilitating consultations with countries to use national strategies to identify prioritised activities to be delivered
- Identifying human capacity and policy gaps and implementing prioritised capacity building activities depending on national and state level requirements and priorities
- Implementing selected on the ground measures improve access to sustainable energy per EU-SPC Contribution Agreement
- Facilitating access to expertise and knowledge sharing and capacity building for the promotion of south-south cooperation
- Active engagement and project leadership to support FSM’s Energy Master Plan through resource mobilisation efforts, technical assistance and advice
- Strengthening FSM national and state cooperation and coordination on energy efficiency and renewable energy including the coordination of steering committee meetings and other meetings
Facilitation of effective communication among and between national, state and community partners and development partners:
- Oversee the monitoring of an effective communications plan with project counterparts concerning the implementation of project activities
- Steering committee meetings and regular reporting
- Support to project beneficiaries on communication needs in relation to the project delivery
- Visibility and promotion of project activities and delivery using various means such as media, websites (energy sector, GEM, SPC), and other relevant in-country and regional mechanisms carried out
- Oversight of branding and marketing for the project ensuring all visibility requirements of the EU and SPC are fully incorporated
- Managing the effective liaison and promotion of networking between key stakeholders and other individuals involved in project implementation and between projects where relevant
For a more detailed account of the key responsibilities, please refer to the online job description.
Key selection criteria
- A postgraduate degree from a recognised institution in a discipline relevant to project management, international development, and/or energy
- Technical expertise
- At least 10 years in a similar project management position with complex multi-location, multi-beneficiary projects ideally in the Pacific Islands region
- 5 years’ experience in working within a regional or international institutional environment
- Understanding of renewable energy, energy efficiency and climate change challenges facing the Pacific region in the context of the existing complex multi donor, multi project situation
- Thorough understanding of project management including project cycles, log-frames, monitoring and evaluation, and risk management
- Demonstrated experience managing a high volume and high dollar value procurement
- Managing logistics in challenging and remote locations
- Demonstrated abilities in staff management and their performance evaluation
- Excellent computer skills across necessary applications
- Language skills
- Excellent English communication skills (oral and written).
- Interpersonal skills and cultural awareness
- A proactive and positive team player able to work effectively in a multicultural environment.
- Knowledge of Pacific Island countries and territories is an advantage.
Salary, terms and conditions
Contract Duration – This position is budgeted for 3 years and is subject to renewal depending on performance and funding.
Remuneration – the Project Manager, EU FSM SEAM Project is a is a Band 12 position in SPC’s 2020 salary scale, with a starting salary range of 4,306‒5,316 SDR (special drawing rights) per month, which currently converts to approximately USD 5,942–7,336 (EUR 5,314–6,560). An offer of appointment for an initial contract will be made in the lower half of this range, with due consideration being given to experience and qualifications. Progression within the salary scale will be based on annual performance reviews. Remuneration of expatriate SPC staff members is not subject to income tax in Federated States of Micronesia; Federated States of Micronesia Nationals employed by SPC in Pohnpei will be subject to income tax.
Benefits for international staff employees based in Pohnpei – SPC provides a housing allowance of USD 1,000 USD – 2,000 USD. Establishment and relocation grant, removal expenses, airfares, home leave, medical and life insurance, and education allowance are available for eligible employees and their recognised dependents. Employees are entitled to 25 days of annual leave and access to SPC’s Provident Fund (contributing 8% of salary, to which SPC adds a matching contribution).
Recruitment principles – SPC’s recruitment is based on merit and fairness, and candidates are competing in a selection process that is faire, transparent and non-discriminatory. SPC is an equal-opportunity employer, and is committed to cultural and gender diversity, including bilinguism, and will seek to attract and appoint candidates who respect these values. Due attention is given to gender equity and the maintenance of strong representation from Pacific Island professionals. If two interviewed candidates are ranked equal by the selection panel, preference will begiven to the Pacific Islander.
Applicants will be assured of complete confidentiality in line with SPC’s private policy.
Closing date: 2 August 2020 – 11:00 pm Noumea time.
Job Reference: AL000305
Applicants must apply online at http://careers.spc.int/.
Hard copies of applications will not be accepted.
For your application to be considered, you must provide us with:
- an updated resume with contact details for three professional referees
- a cover letter detailing your skills, experience and interest in this position
- responses to all screening questions
Please ensure your documents are in Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF format.
All positions at SPC have specific screening questions. If you do not respond to all of the screening questions, your application will be considered incomplete and will not be reviewed at shortlisting stage.
- This is a senior role within the Micronesia Regional Office and will be managing project staff. Please share your experiences in project management and what lessons have you learned through those experiences.
- This position will be responsible for spearheading Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency initiatives in FSM. Can you please explain any similar experiences in which you have assisted a developing country / countries and what were the results/impacts achieved?
- This position will also be involved in project financial management as well as the procurement of project materials. Can you please describe how you are going to manage project funding to ensure sound financial and procurement systems are adhered to.
JD Project Manager EU SEAM FSM_200612.docx
Type: Contract - International
Category: Energy - Transport & Logistics
Reference ID: AL000305
Date Posted: 01/07/2020