Regional Specialist, Insurance and Risk Finance
- Inclusive Insurance
- Sovereign Risk
- Natural Capital and Risk
- Insurance Investments
- Integration into Development
- Policy Support and Representation.
- Direct Support to Country Office and Regional Programming
- Programme Identification, Development and Resource Mobilization
- External Engagement, Knowledge Management, Advocacy, Research and Evidence
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide regional leadership on UNDP’s work across insurance and Risk Finance
- Represent UNDP and its work on insurance and risk finance across a range of regional and country fora, and actively promote and position UNDP’s work.
- Work across UNDP teams of the Global Policy Network to ensure coherent representation across issues of financing, risk and development, including, but not limited to those working in disaster risk reduction, climate adaptation, health, social protection and economic growth.
- Support UNDP’s Central team on insurance and risk finance by providing strategic advice, advocacy support, and critical analysis and information to enhance UNDP’s overall positioning on insurance and risk finance, including the preparation of briefing notes, presentations, speeches etc
- Support the integration (both regionally and at a country level) of UNDP’s financing and investment work as part of its Finance Sector Hub.
- Where appropriate manage resources that may be delegated as part of overall policy and programmatic work.
- Support country offices in the delivery of all Insurance and Risk Financing Programmes within the region, especially programmatic work that has long-term sustainability.
- Develop and deliver work-plans in collaboration with country offices and industry partners.
- Provide direct technical advice to Country Offices and Programme Countries, especially for the implementation of country-level programmes, and where appropriate jointly manage the delivery of specialized insurance/risk finance staff at the country level.
- Liaise with both public and private sector delivery partners together with country offices, and actively work with members of key insurance/development partnerships, such as the Insurance Development Forum and InsuResilience Global Partnership.
- Develop and implement a robust lessons-learnt programme across countries which will be supported by UNDP’s Insurance and Risk Finance Facility.
- Where appropriate develop and implement regional initiatives.
- Identify new and scalable opportunities for UNDP across the region and within countries and develop them to concept stage. Maintain a pipeline of all work in all stages and regularly follow up on all initiatives in development.
- Proactively seek to resource all projects in development, and actively support country offices in their task of securing financing for Insurance and Risk Finance work.
- Actively explore and develop strategic alliances with key partners for joint fundraising and service-delivery.
- Contribute significantly to the development of strategic programmatic partnerships with both internal and external partners to advance the implementation of UNDP’s Insurance and Risk Finance Facility.
- Develop strong relationships with donor financing and technical teams where they exist, at the regional level but also increasingly at the country level (in support of UNDP Country Offices.)
- Lead on regional KM, advocacy and research issues for the Insurance and Risk Finance teams in the region.
- Where appropriate lead upon and support the development of marketing, policy, learning and advocacy materials related to the team’s work, as well as in support of both the Finance Sector Hub and wider GPN.
- Ensure that all training materials, tools and advocacy work are disseminated across country offices and programme countries.
- Where appropriate represent UNDP’s Insurance and Risk Finance Facility across regional media, and actively contribute to its work through a strong social media presence supported by regular expert articles.
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work
- Ability to persuade others to follow
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
- Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement
- Knowledge of global development financial trends, global financial institutions and processes, and ability to apply in strategic and/or practical situations
- Knowledge of inclusive growth, decent employment and social protection concepts, principals and issues, and the ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations.
- Knowledge of disaster risk management concepts and the ability to apply to strategic and/or practical settings.
Required Skills and Experience
- A Master’s degree, preferably in public financial management, disaster risk management and/or financing, financial inclusion or development financing.
- A minimum of 7 years of relevant experience in either the public sector (national or multilateral, including UN), private (academia, non-governmental sector, corporate), with an increasing level of responsibility;
- Demonstrable experience working in insurance and risk financing, especially in developing countries, with specializations in key areas welcomed, such as in women’s empowerment, natural capital, inclusive insurance etc. is highly desirable;
- Experience at international level and with developing countries is desirable;
- Experience in results-based and results-oriented project implementation and management is desirable;
- Experience in managing teams, inspiring and mentoring staff, facilitating their capacity development, and resolving conflicts is desirable;
- Experience managing projects across issues of strategy, financing, administration and human resources is desirable;
- Experience in overseeing and guiding the development of communications and knowledge management strategies and products is an asset;
- Experience in overseeing implementation of projects involving government, NGO/CSO, private sector, academia and/or intergovernmental stakeholders is an asset;
- Working experience in UN or other international organization, and knowledge of UNDP policies, procedures and practices is an advantage.
- Excellent knowledge of the English language, with exceptional writing, presentation and communication skills is required;
- Competency in other UN languages is an asset.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and advanced knowledge of web-based management system is mandatory.
Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa, or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.