Monitoring and Evaluation Officer
The Government of Ukraine is in urgent need to secure the availability of the State Programme medicines and essential health commodities at affordable prices and in sufficient quantities. Acknowledging the challenges of the State procurement and supply management system and following adopted legislation, allowing the selected international organizations to provide procurement support services, as an emergency measure the Ministry of Health of Ukraine has requested the UN to support the procurement and distribution of a number of State Programme medicines and other medical products.
UNDP in Ukraine is fully committed to play this role in resolving the immediate crisis and to support the Ministry of Health of Ukraine in its mid- and long-term efforts to reform its procurement and supply management system. UNDP brings its extensive expertise in establishing the procurement system that corresponds to the highest standards of transparency, accountability, cost-efficiency, equity and sustainability.
UNDP together with other UN Agencies (UNICEF and WHO) developed a Joint Project aimed at strengthening the national health care procurement system and thereby improving the effectiveness of diagnosis and treatment of the patients of Ukraine. Specifically, in the framework of the project, UNDP plans to (i) procure medicines and medical products for the National Public Health Programmes for 2015 and ongoing years as needed, (ii) strengthen the capacity of the Ministry of Health to ensure transparency, accountability and effectiveness of the public procurement of medicines and other medical products.
The UNDP Health and Transparency Programme (H&T Programme) is aimed to support the implementation of the health reform in Ukraine through strengthening the medicine procurement capacity, enhancing the efficiency, effectiveness, transparency and accountability of the national healthcare procurement system and address the social, economic and environmental determinants of HIV and health, under UNDP Democratic Governance Portfolio.
To ensure that the activities and results of the H&T Programme are regularly monitored, evaluated and reported UNDP invites applications from highly qualified and experienced Ukrainian professionals for the post of Monitoring & Evaluation Officer.
The UNDP Health and Transparency Programme is aimed to support the implementation of the health reform in Ukraine through strengthening the medicine procurement capacity, enhancing the efficiency, effectiveness, transparency and accountability of the national healthcare procurement system and address the social, economic and environmental determinants of HIV and health, under UNDP Democratic Governance Portfolio.
The incumbent will accelerate gender equality and women’s empowerment within all implementations and promote UNDP’s mandate as a gender-responsive organization with zero tolerance to any kind of discriminatory and abusive behaviour, including sexual harassment, sexual exploitation and abuse.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
- Ensures Quality Reporting, Monitoring, Evaluation, Assessment & Research Planning;
- Provides high quality advisory services and facilitates Knowledge Management and Capacity Development.
Under the Health Programme Specialist’s direct supervision, the Monitoring and Evaluation Offcer will be responsible for the overall coordination of implementation of the H&T Programme monitoring and evaluation framework, RBM planning and reporting, facilitate knowledge building and knowledge sharing of M&E activities as well as collect and analyse H&T Programme and outside data, and surveys. The Monitoring and Evaluation Offcer will work in close collaboration with the H&T Programme personnel and UNDP CO M&E team to ensure M&E requirements are fulfilled and M&E Framework is reported in a timely manner with required quality checks, following the highest standards in line with UNDP guidelines and procedures.
Specifically, s/he will perform the following key tasks:
Ensure Quality Reporting, Monitoring, Evaluation, Assessment & Research Planning through:
- Develop and refine H&T Programme results and M&E Frameworks. Ensure that H&T Programme components have results-based annual work plans with indicators, baselines and targets, established at outcome, output and activity levels;
- Establish and coordinate effective mechanisms of monitoring the H&T Programme implementation including development of evaluation tools and processes;
- Ensure optimal use of evaluation by providing guidance and support in preparation of timely management response to all mandatory evaluation;
- Provide technical support/advise to ensure timely and accurate measurement of changes in the country or region, including monitoring of socio-economic trends, to facilitate planning and assess the impact of programmes and policies;
- Update and maintain H&T Programme’s Monitoring and Evaluation Plan capturing qualitative and quantitative aspects, according to the annual work plans and log frame according to the UNDP quality standards;
- Ensure high quality and accuracy of H&T Programme results presented in donor reports and communications materials;
- Develop monitoring data system, coordinate its adoption and proper data maintenance;
- Provide technical support during development of new activities by defining outcomes, outputs and SMART indicators;
- Ensure that evaluations, assessments and other M&E products are designed and implemented in accordance with established UNDP quality standards, and the results are disseminated in a timely manner to stakeholders in order to improve performance and contribute to wider learning;
- Design and implement innovative solutions to data gathering and monitoring;
- Support integration of SDG targets into H&T Programme reports and strategies;
- Ensure timely and quality input to UN corporate reporting platforms: IWP, ROAR, IATI, Atlas project module, UN INFO;
- Ensure mainstreaming of gender equality in all aspects of M&E and reporting, promotion of a safe and enabling environment free of any kind of discrimination and abusive behaviour, and gender-responsive communications based on corporate principles.
Ensure provision of high quality advisory services and facilitation of Knowledge Management and Capacity Building through:
- Identify and formulate evaluation and audit findings, lessons learned from evaluations and studies to be integrated into broader UNDP knowledge management;
- Promote the shared responsibility of M&E function among all staff members and partners through communication, training, learning and development activities Programme-wide. Support H&T Programme, and partners with effective use of tools and methodologies for planning, monitoring, reporting and measuring of indicators at the outcome level. Build capacities of H&T Programme staff and stakeholders on best practices in RBM, UNDP rules and guidelines on project cycle, UNDP Strategic objectives and interlinkages;
- Collaborate and coordinate with other UN agencies, government agencies, NGOs, and other organizations on monitoring and evaluation issues; keep abreast of latest development and professional norms, standards, tools and methodologies;
- Perform other functions as requested by H&T Programme management.
Measurable outputs of the work assignment:
- H&T Programme M&E plans are developed and implemented timely and within budgets;
- H&T Programme regularly collects data on its progress, relying on innovative data gathering methods when appropriate;
- Donor and other reports are prepared in line with the UNDP standards and accepted practices;
- Effective mechanisms for monitoring, evaluation and reporting on the H&T Programme implementation, including development of tools and processes established in line with UNDP rules and requirements;
- UNDP H&T Programme staff demonstrates high level of knowledge and practical skills in RBM and M&E;
- Data collection system is designed in a participatory-manner;
- Output and outcome level data is captured, documented and reported in a results-based and timely manner;
- M&E activities are designed and implemented in compliance with UNDP standards, the results are disseminated in a timely manner, evaluation recommendations are followed and optimally used;
- All assignments performed in a quality and timely manner.
Performance indicators for evaluation of results:
- Multi-year and annual M&E plans for H&T Programme are fully and timely implemented in strict accordance with UNDP rules and procedures;
- Regular reports are developed;
- Monitoring activities are carried out in strict accordance with UNDP rules and regulations;
- High quality scores for corporate reporting inputs.
- People Management;
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Monitoring and Evaluation;
- Quality Assurance;
- Gender Mainstreaming;
- Knowledge Management and Learning;
- Management and Leadership;
- Result orientation;
- Statistical and econometrics skills;
- Self –management and emotional intelligence;
- Capacity Development.
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise:
- Understands the main processes and methods of work relating to the position;
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks;
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning;
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments.
Results-Based Project Development and Management:
- Assesses programme performance to identify success factors and incorporates best practices into programme work;
- Researches linkages across programme activities to identify critical points of integration;
- Monitors specific stages of programme implementation.
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing:
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things;
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies and new approaches.
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion;
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines.
- Generates new ideas and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things;
- Analyses complex technical materials (including data) and makes concise relevant recommendations;
- Eager to voice new ideas;
- Strategic thinking, challenging existing assumptions and thinking of creative solutions to problems.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in Business Administration, Public Administration, Economics, Political Sciences, Social Sciences or related field.
- Minimum five (5) years of professional experience in programme development, monitoring and evaluations, RBM, donor reporting or other relevant fields;
- Experience in UN system, international organizations or non-profit organizations is an asset;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems;
- Fluent English, Ukrainian and Russian.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.