The constitution RDTL provides a provision of special status to Oé-Cusse, stating that it shall be ‘governed by a special administrative policy and economic regime’ (Article 71, Clause 2) and a law on Oé-Cusse has recently been passed by the National Parliament.
UNDP has been providing Policy advice to the Special Economic Zone for Social Market Economy (ZEESM) Office since its establishment and has developed a program to support ZEESM conceive, establish and support governance and sustainable and innovative development structures and systems in Oé-Cusse. The framework for UNDP’s support to Oé-Cusse ZEESM is built around two components: (i) governance (ii) sustainable and innovative development. Thus, as part of the roll out process of ZEESM there is a need to formulate policies and provide high quality advice to support priority areas that have clear and strong forward linkages to the ZEESM. The proposed assistance is aligned with the priorities of the Fifth Constitutional Government as articulated under Timor-Leste Strategic Development Plan 2011-2030 to establish special zones of social market economy to transform the lives of the people of Oé-Cusse with an integrated approach to sustainable, social and economic development.
In many more competitive economies, agribusiness development programme is one of the programme that have helped to create new entrepreneurial skills and new businesses in the area of agriculture.
The overall strategic objective of the Oé-Cusse Agribusiness Development Program is: To foster sustainable livelihoods in Oé-Cusse through Agribusiness development and to build regional capacity to promote a business enabling environment.
UNDP is looking for an enthusiastic person for specialist position of Agribusiness and farmers engagement technician. The person will work under the direction of the Agribusiness Coordinator and the UNDP Project Manager and will work to support the Agribusiness Programme implementation.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Project Manager (PM), and the Secretary for the Agriculture and Rural Development RAEOA&ZEESM TL, the technician will execute and ensure specific activities for the implementation of the Oé-Cusse Agribusiness Development Program and related activities of ZEESM Project.
Under the supervision of the Agribusiness Coordinator the selected candidate will execute and ensure specific activities for the implementation of the Oé-Cusse Agribusiness Development Program development and related activities of ZEESM TL Project.
- The Technician will be working to increased agriculture productivity of selected value chain, especially mandarin, pineapple and fig.
- In addition, the technician will be responsible for supporting organizational development and market access of local producers for the mentioned value chains.
Project activities implementation:
- Support implementing the project activities: workshops, nursery establishment, pruning, pest and diseases control, harvesting etc.
- Ensure best practices implementation along the plantation cycle.
- Organize farmers group to promote collective work and knowledge exchange ensuring women and youth participation while implementation.
- Provide the capacity building for farmers and agriculture staff related to production and marketing through each product specialist.
- Organizing cross visit of the producers to Indonesia and inside Timor-Leste with the objective to add more knowledge and experiences.
- Participate all meeting upon request from partners or government.
- Liaise with other institutions and local partners related to mandarin, pineapple and fig production.
- Research innovative solutions to improve water irrigation systems.
- Research smart agricultural practices to be implemented at mandarin, pineapple and fig plantations.
- Support the team on logistic activities.
- Provide report to supervisor and the government.
Advocacy/Advancing a Policy-Oriented Agenda
Level 1.2: preparing information for advocacy
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for a variety of audiences for advocating UNDP’s mandate;
- Maintains a functioning network of contacts with a variety of stakeholders to promote a better understanding of UNDP’s mandate and to support advocacy efforts.
Building Strategic Partnerships
Level 1.2: Maintaining a network of contacts
- Maintains an established network of contacts for general information sharing and to remain up-to-date on partnership related issues;
- Analyzes and selects materials for strengthening strategic alliances with partners and stakeholders;
- Establishes and nurtures positive communication with partners.
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
Level 1.2: Basic research and analysis
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies and new approaches
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Level 1.2: Fundamental knowledge of own discipline
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position;
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks;
- Analyzes the requirements and synthesizes proposals;
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning;
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments.
Creating Visibility for UNDP/Supporting UNDP’s Capacity to Advocate
Level 1.2: Research and data analysis
- Promotes awareness of UNDP’s centrally to development through dissemination of information and materials;
- Maintains networks and knowledge assets for use in visibility and image activities.
Global Leadership and Advocacy for UNDP’s Goals
Level 1.2.: Preparing information for global advocacy
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for advocacy for UNDP’s goals for a variety of audiences;
- Maintains a functioning network of contacts in the media and civil society, to promote a better understanding of UNDP’s mandate and to support advocacy efforts.
Conceptual Innovation in the Provision of Technical Expertise
Level 1.2: Research and analysis
- Keeps updated in his/her area of substantive expertise;
- Identifies opportunities for conceptual innovation.
Level 1.2: Establishing effective client relationships
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion;
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines;
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients;
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity;
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- Self-development, initiative-taking;
- Acting as a team player and facilitating teamwork;
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively;
- Creating synergies through self-control;
- Managing conflict;
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member;
- Informed and transparent decision making.
Required Skills and Experience
- High school and Bachelor degree in agriculture, rural development, biology, health or related areas (is an advantage)
- 5 years of experience in relevance experiences for high school and 2 years for bachelor’s degree or in agriculture production increase or similar projects.
- Minimum of 2 years professional experience supporting farmers groups.
- Experience in facilitating trainings
- Experience in community development
- Previous experience working with UNDP in Oecusse
- Ability to work effectively with MS office.
- English (Very Good), Tetum (Excellent)
- Portuguese (Good) Baikeno (Excellent).
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.