Health Information Systems Specialist
Arlington (United States of America)
The Health Information Systems Specialist will work as part of the Evidence, Performance and Impact (EPI) team at MSH. S/he will provide technical support to the MSH home offices and MSH projects in DHIS2 and other information management systems as the primary system administrator. S/he will contribute to the monitoring and evaluation (M&E) systems, by ensuring that MSH’s database is properly managed and accessible to teams globally. The HIS Specialist will participate and often lead the development and maintenance of MSH’s DHIS2-based database, DREAM@MSH, and all its project instances.
DREAM@MSH (MSH-DHIS2) Global Development and Management (40%)
- Manage DREAM@MSH on a day-to-day basis as the primary system administrator.
- Develop new features for organization wide metrics and initiatives (e.g. customized dashboards).
- Troubleshoot DREAM@MSH issues with support from BAO Manager.
- Work with the Data and Digital health (DDH) team on improving DREAM@MSH’s interoperability.
DREAM@MSH (MSH-DHIS2) Project Instances Development and Maintenance (30%)
- Provide service to MSH field projects in DREAM@MSH by supporting project instance configuration and maintenance through life of project.
- Develop new features for projects on demand (e.g. dashboards and custom forms).
DHIS2 Capacity Building (15%)
- Design and conduct DHIS2 trainings for MSH staff in both home and field offices.
- Build upon current DHIS2 learning materials produced for staff.
Monitoring, Evaluation, Learning and Research (MEL) (15%)
- Support EPI team by contributing to MEL services (e.g. setting up metrics, running analyses).
- Contribute to the design of research protocols (e.g. develop hypotheses, write analysis plans, and calculate sample sizes).
- Determine appropriate statistical tests and measures for research and, when necessary, conduct analyses.
Required: Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field, such as biostatistics, health statistics, or information systems, or equivalent work experience.
Preferred: Master’s degree
Required: Six years of directly relevant experience. Education may be counted in lieu of experience.
Preferred**:** Eight years of directly relevant experience
Demonstrated experience with current approaches and tools for information management systems, including the use of data to inform decision-making, communication, and other strategic initiatives.
Demonstrated experience using and managing large databases.
4 to 5 years of experience in managing health information management systems built on DHIS2.
In-country experiences working on DHIS2 instances in Low & Middle Income Countries is an asset.
Knowledge & Skills
- Strong English-language scientific and technical writing and presentation skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to interact professionally with culturally diverse staff, clients, and consultants.
- Advanced expertise in DHIS2 (system administrator level).
- Knowledge of appropriate data visualization software for creating tables, graphs, and charts.
- Knowledge of monitoring and evaluation principles and methods.
- Attention to detail. Demonstrated organization and time management skills.
- Fluency in French.
- Knowledge and proven experience in the use of statistical software packages such as R for data analysis and modelling.
- Demonstrated ability in assessing priorities and managing various activities and stakeholders in a time-sensitive environment.
Ability to meet deadlines with attention to detail and quality.