Communication Assistant (Qatar resident only)
Parent Sector : Field Office
Duty Station: Doha
Job Family: Public Information
Type of contract : Non Staff
Level : Level 3
Duration of contract : 1 year
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 25/09/2020
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, ProfessionalismOVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
The UNESCO GCC and Yemen Office in Doha is strategically positioned and plays an increasingly key role in the coordination mechanisms and program development and implementation as part of the international community’s assistance to the covered countries, including the response to the impact of the Yemen. Critical support to institutional reforms also continues to be extended with Education, Culture, Science and Communication and Information related programs and initiatives.
Communication lies at the heart of sustainable development. Communication for development is seen as a process for sharing ideas and knowledge using a range of communication tools and approaches that empower individuals and communities to take action to improve their lives. Effective communication is part of the UNESCO accountability framework; it serves to project UNESCO’s image and values, to highlight and showcase the concrete impact of its operations (“communicating for results”) and to support resource mobilization efforts.PURPOSE
The UNESCO GCC and Yemen Office in Doha wish to reinforce its communications and visibility strategy, with the objective to enhance the visibility of the Office and communicate the positive impact of the Office’s extra budgetary and regular programme actions in the covered countries. As part of this undertaking, the Office seeks a Strategic Communications personnel to assist to develop, guide and implement a new communication strategy serving to strengthen visibility and amplify the voices of project participants and beneficiaries, while also providing communications support to the sectors and the Director of Office. The Communication Assistant will play a supportive role in augmenting the prominence of the Office in the region, by producing innovative and visually attractive strategic communication and visibility packages to address potential information gaps while show casing UNESCO’s success stories.MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist to develop, monitoring, and implementation of Communication Strategy in collaboration with DPI. Collection of performance-related results on the different communication actions and the production of periodic reports (textual, infographic, and visual).
- Assist UNESCO Director in the media matters, facilitating press inquiries. Build and strengthen networks among national, Arab regional and international media, maintain up-to-date database of journalists/media outlets, identifying and pursuing opportunities to publicize office initiatives and assist to engage media (press conferences, familiarization trips, launch events, etc). Ensure wide media coverage and dissemination of UNESCO messages and activities.
- Proactively monitor discussion of UNESCO in media to identify and respond to issues as needed. Provide advice to UNESCO programme units on means of increasing exposure as well as analytics measuring exposure in new media.
- Assist programme unit to develop and jointly implement communication activities around particular initiatives. Solicit and coordinate inputs of programme staff such as web articles, press releases, feature articles, op-eds, etc… review/edit them if needed in a journalistic style. Assist translating media outputs in English or Arabic to assure communication materials in both languages. Prepare a monthly electronic Newsletter for the office.
- Manage all communication outlets of the office including website and social media in accordance with the guidelines set by DPI.
- Recommend and liaise with third-party contractors (video production, photographers, illustrators, designers, etc).
- Serve as the UNESCO focal point in UN Communication Groups in GCC states and Yemen to ensure UNESCO´s contribution to, and benefit from, joint initiatives.
- In collaboration with the project team, support implementation and monitoring of the Communication and Visibility Strategy of the extra-budgetary project. In particular, contribute to enhance the project visibility through planning, editing and publishing online content through the project webpage, tweeter and other social media platforms identified by UNESCO.
- Perform relevant administration tasks and perform other duties as assigned by the Director and/or the direct supervisor.
University degree (BA or equivalent) preferably in communication, journalism, international relations or political sciences or any other relevant fields.
03 years working experience in communication, access to information, international development. Advanced university degree (MA or equivalent) in the relevant field in combination with at least 2 years of relevant qualifying experience will be accepted.
Skills and Competencies
Good analytical, planning, organizational skills.
Good communication, IT, and information management skills. Ability to draft clear and concise reports.
Proven ability to organize events, workshops.
Experience coordinating, communicating with external partners (NGOs, Governments, etc.) Ability to manage large database, compile and analyze information.
Fluency in English and in ArabicDESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Knowledge about UNESCO´s actions in this field of work.
Experience with the UN system and understanding of its functioning and procedures. Work experience in the Arab region will be an asset.BENEFIT & ENTITLEMENTS
UNESCO Salaries in Doha paid in Qatari Riyals; the annual remuneration for the post (SB3/Peg2) is QAR 192175. UNESCO Service Contract benefits includes 30 days of annual leave as well as a contribution to pension scheme and health insurance upon proof of inscription.SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Applicant with valid Qatari resident card holder are eligible to apply.
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.Footer
UNESCO applies a zero tolerance policy against all forms of harassment.
UNESCO is committed to achieve and sustain gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities, as well as nationals from non-and under-represented Member States (last update here) are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.